Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you been ICEd?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plug In America has notices for those who ICE a spot. Hard to find on their site (someone sent me a copy). I had a bunch printed up and put them under windshield wipers on cars inappropriately parked. Santa Barbara now has an ordinance to protect the spots so I plan to call the cops to put on a ticket in the future. I think that once tickets are given the word will get out and ICEing will decrease.

DON’T GET TOWED
Dear Driver:
On January 1, 2012, a new law (AB 475 Butler) went into
effect which states: “Electric vehicles (EVs) must now be
plugged in for refueling when occupying an EV designated
parking space, otherwise they may be towed. In addition,
the law prohibits a person from obstructing, blocking, or
otherwise barring access to an EV-designated parking space.”
http://www.chp.ca.gov/pdf/media/11-40.pdf
This is a friendly note to make you aware of this new law.
Thank you,
Plug In America is working hard to expand EV charging including
a better use of shared infrastructure.

I went to a tailgate type picnic at Stanford for the team before the season started and went to park by the 'Shirt Shack' or whatever it is called there. There are two EV charging slots. In one was an ICE car -- with driver--so I asked her to move so I could charge. She did. I charged. In the other slot was an electric golf cart with a label on it as belonging to the food supply on campus, or something like that. It was just parked there--not charging. And the slots were clearly labeled as the to the need to be charging to park there.

I went to the picnic and as I started to think about it, and being bored, I decided to call the University to report the parking violation. I got shuffled around a lot and reported the situation and forgot about it assuming that Zero would be done. My wife was really pissed that I was being such a troublemaker. (I don't see why, that is my norm.)

Anyhow, when we went to leave, there were a couple police dealing with the golf cart which I was parked next to. I asked them 'Whazup?' I learned that the cart had been stolen three weeks before and it must have been abandoned there and no one bothered to report it and my reporting it had led to its recovery.

So now, instead of being regarded as a PITA (well, at least this time) I am a hero recovering a stolen golf cart!

And that is why we need to leave notes and to report violations of EV parking spaces!
=================
So with this erudite post, I have now broken the 100 mark on Tesla Motors Club! Don't worry TEG, you are in little danger of being surpassed!

Solution to Blocked SC Syndrome:

The Nanny Car. By default every SC spot is occupied by a local 'beater' car. You go into the designated Nanny Store nearby and get the key to move it out of your charging spot. You move it back when you are done and return the key to the store. Who would not be willing to do this in order to get a free SC charge? Nanny Cars would ideally be electric conversions: low voltage DC jobbies with a few golf cart batteries, Or even retired golf carts. When the store closes the NCs are moved to other spots. The store will like this scheme as it brings more foot traffic into their store. Also a + to have local supervision of SCs.
--

Solution to Blocked SC Syndrome:

The Nanny Car. By default every SC spot is occupied by a local 'beater' car. You go into the designated Nanny Store nearby and get the key to move it out of your charging spot. You move it back when you are done and return the key to the store. Who would not be willing to do this in order to get a free SC charge? Nanny Cars would ideally be electric conversions: low voltage DC jobbies with a few golf cart batteries, Or even retired golf carts. When the store closes the NCs are moved to other spots. The store will like this scheme as it brings more foot traffic into their store. Also a + to have local supervision of SCs.
--

But if you do this, you are training people that it's OK for ICEs to park in those spots. But maybe you can pick up some cheap ex-lease Leafs for the job...

> OK for ICEs to park [ggr]

Unlike seatholders at the Grammys these beaters would be well marked explaining process & store location. And of course this is for those real trouble spots. But it would be 100% effective against 'denial of service' attacks.

> Use orange cones. [Doug_G]

As long as they were filled with concrete (or depleted Uranium).
--