Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-Ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mknox

Aug 7, 2012
Toronto, ON
I believe I saw somewhere that Tesla in the US will be accepting trade-in vehicles (might have been somewhere on Tesla's own forums).

Has this been confirmed, and anybody know if Tesla Canada be taking trades on delivery?

Mike

From Model S Deliveries - latest actual info on dates and vehicles being delivered | Forums | Tesla Motors

4. Tesla Motors has partnered with AutoNation Direct to facilitate trade in vehicles. Are you interested in trading in a vehicle? (If yes, please indicate whether the trade in is a Tesla Roadster or if it’s a non-Tesla vehicle, the year, make and model)

That deal probably does not apply to Canada, though... so it depends on whether they've set up something similar here. I would not be surprised if trades were not available.

All that said, I've taken to selling my vehicles personally rather than trading. It's not hard to do and you definitely get more money for your car.

All that said, I've taken to selling my vehicles personally rather than trading. It's not hard to do and you definitely get more money for your car.

I've done it both ways. Sometimes trading in is just more convenient, and there can be some tax savings (sales tax is payable on the difference between the new car price and trade-in allowance).

Mike

I was told that Canada would not have the same nation-wide deal that the U. S. has. It wasn't clear to me, but they said something to the effect that if I did a trade-in, I would sell locally and they would do the paperwork to reduce our taxes. Details to come later. So I'm not precisely sure how it works; from what I understand if one sells privately you can get PST but not GST off of your new car (in MB), if you go through a dealership you get all taxes off the trade-in value (or, essentially, you only pay tax on the difference). Someone else may understand this better than I do.

I just stopped by the pop-up Tesla store at Yorkdale Mall in Toronto. They have the black Performance model that was at the Get Amped event in Mississauga recently, and said that is the car they will likely keep in Toronto for test drives. (The actual Tesla store in the mall is currently under construction, and the billboard lists Tesla Motors as one of the new stores going in).

Anyway, I asked one of the reps about trade-ins in Canada and was told "absolutely... yes".

So it looks like we CAN trade in cars at time of purchase if we want. Good news indeed.

Mike

I just stopped by the pop-up Tesla store at Yorkdale Mall in Toronto. They have the black Performance model that was at the Get Amped event in Mississauga recently, and said that is the car they will likely keep in Toronto for test drives. (The actual Tesla store in the mall is currently under construction, and the billboard lists Tesla Motors as one of the new stores going in).

Anyway, I asked one of the reps about trade-ins in Canada and was told "absolutely... yes".

So it looks like we CAN trade in cars at time of purchase if we want. Good news indeed.

Mike

The main difference is we won't have a Canada-wide trade-in company like in the US. As I mentioned earlier we just don't know exactly how it will work since it's not the same as a dealership model (probably).

The main difference is we won't have a Canada-wide trade-in company like in the US. As I mentioned earlier we just don't know exactly how it will work since it's not the same as a dealership model (probably).

I asked the woman I spoke with about this, and specifically referenced the US-wide model in the United States, and she said they had a similar deal in Canada. She did not know who the company was. It could be a province-by-province thing... There are traditional car dealers here in Ontario who advertise that they'll pay you for your trade-in, even if you don't end up buying a new car from them. They're probably dealing with some third-party used car wholesaler I would imagine.

has anybody besides Jaff gone through or started the process of a trade-in for their S yet? I am interested but saw that the pre-delivery MVPA had the trade-in section voided out and was wondering if this is still a possibility.

Hans gave me a price for my Infiniti, and I have accepted. He asked if I could trade it in right now, because he's going to be pretty swamped when the S is delivered. Unfortunately I just put Tessie to bed for the winter, so I'd have nothing to drive. So the trade hasn't actually happened yet.

In your opinion: do you think he would be open to discussing trade-ins for the GP cars yet or is it too soon to start the ball rolling? If it was interesting enough i could be open to the idea of becoming a one car family for a short period but this would have to wait until next year at least.

Yes, waiting until after the new year is probably best for me as well. We might even have a Montreal service center open when it is time to deal with these things and it may be better to go through them, depending on the services provided by that location of course.

Hans gave me a price for my Infiniti, and I have accepted. He asked if I could trade it in right now, because he's going to be pretty swamped when the S is delivered. Unfortunately I just put Tessie to bed for the winter, so I'd have nothing to drive. So the trade hasn't actually happened yet.

Was some sort of appraisal required (i.e. did someone have to look at the car)?