Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible Alternative to Aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just read that the Aero wheels has been (may be?) discontinued. From what I understand, the main positive of the Aero wheel would be to limit turbulance of air flowing from one side of the wheel to the other - probably in an inside-out direction. This turburlance is what I understand would result in the interuption of air flow along the side of the car resulting in a higher CD, which in turn would lead to lower MPKw.

A possible solution may be to purchase a product that fits inside the wheels - actually intended to keep down brake dust - called Kleen Wheels http://www.kleenwheels.com/kleen-wheels-dust-shields

I have no affiliation with them, but have used them in the past for brake dust, and they actually do a good job. It also seem that it would somewhat limit the flow of air through the wheel, therefore limiting turbulance. Some people have worried about rotor warping, but I have never known of this problem first hand either by me or by people in various car clubs I have been and am members of now. Having said that, I would not use them to autocross with, but I don't think I will be doing that with the S anyway. I have personally used them on Saabs and BMWs with no problems.

Just a thought......

My main concern would be wheel loosening. That is, it appears they sit between the wheel and the hub so there is some concern that the additional layer may allow the assembly (stud, nut, wheel, dust shield) to flex more and cause the nuts to back off.

The areo wheels have been gone for awhile now. At least one source says that Tesla couldn't find someone to put a proper finish on them. However, most group members didn't like the looks of the mock-ups so that's also a good possibility. Myself, I don't see why they didn't have solid (or almost solid) disk wheels rather than trying to make the aero wheels look like wheels with spokes in them. Disk wheels wouldn't need "finishing".

My main concern would be wheel loosening. That is, it appears they sit between the wheel and the hub so there is some concern that the additional layer may allow the assembly (stud, nut, wheel, dust shield) to flex more and cause the nuts to back off.

The areo wheels have been gone for awhile now. At least one source says that Tesla couldn't find someone to put a proper finish on them. However, most group members didn't like the looks of the mock-ups so that's also a good possibility. Myself, I don't see why they didn't have solid (or almost solid) disk wheels rather than trying to make the aero wheels look like wheels with spokes in them. Disk wheels wouldn't need "finishing".

Jerry - I would not be concerned with the wheel loosening. In having them on several wheels, and always torquing the lug nuts down to proper spec, I never had this problem and do not know of anyone who had them have it. They are made of aluminum, and are uniform in thickness. Again, the main concern I always heard is people worrying about the rotors getting warm. But, the Kleen Wheels have small directional vents that pull air in toward the rotor. Again, no affiliation, but just wanted to throw it out there.

Jerry - I would not be concerned with the wheel loosening. In having them on several wheels, and always torquing the lug nuts down to proper spec, I never had this problem and do not know of anyone who had them have it. They are made of aluminum, and are uniform in thickness. Again, the main concern I always heard is people worrying about the rotors getting warm. But, the Kleen Wheels have small directional vents that pull air in toward the rotor. Again, no affiliation, but just wanted to throw it out there.

I wasn't particularly worried about the heat because in most instances the friction brakes will be barely used. (and presumably you'll remove the heat shields during your next rally event).

Another alternative: moon discs. Spun aluminum; well-suited for the Model S.

These were briefly discussed in a general thread about wheel spats, but here I want to discuss their applicability to the Model S as an alternative to our dearly departed aero wheels. This company makes them in a 19" size. Can I just order Tesla's 19" wheels and screw these on? Are they only meant to screw in to steel wheels--will there be an issue with Tesla's alloy (?) wheels? Will the wheel even have the right flat surface to screw the discs on...the moon disc site doesn't seem to say anything about what the wheels must have to work. If Tesla's wheels don't work, I'm happy to get some from Tire Rack or something; but again, I'm not sure what I should be shopping for...

One Tesla employee mentioned that Tesla considered their own snap-on cover, but were afraid customers would scratch their rims putting them on and then get mad at Tesla. (More worried than about people getting mad that the promised aero option is not available, apparently; so now we have to buy two sets of wheels and cobble together some third-party solution). So I assume brake cooling isn't an issue. I mean, at least not in range driving, where I would have the moon discs on...certainly if I go to a race track and use the brakes a lot, I will take the moon discs off.

Does anybody happen to have any experience or insights?

No Dust Shields...

They retain heat and look horrendous...

Wether you think you will use the brakes a lot or not, I do not think keeping them behind a sheet of steel is a good idea...

I have seen those shields contribute to warped rotors...

found these wheels

935 | HRE Performance Wheels | Luxury Street Motorsport

hre935-wplarge.jpg

Wow I got mine just in time then! I hope they come out with some other aerodynamic wheel in the future.....
I was very tempted to order a set when the price was reduced, but I just couldn't get around those Pirelli tires (which have been shown to be useless in slippery conditions). The HRE wheels shown a few posts above are interesting, but they are white, which would look decidedly odd against my silver Model S (besides showing every bit of dirt).

.../ The HRE wheels shown a few posts above are interesting, but they are white, which would look decidedly odd against my silver Model S (besides showing every bit of dirt).
Check their website. They’re available in 20 (!) different finishes from the factory. And if you don’t like one of those, then they can custom make whatever finish your heart and mind desires.

But it seems that the appearance of the wheel can vary quite a bit depending on the width you want on your four wheels. Check out the photos of the 911 and compare to the Kia Soul (!) on the bottom of the product description webpage for these wheels in my first post above…

Yeah I am running the snow tires right now, nowhere near as good as Blizzak's. Probably better then all season's though.

If you have a set of 19" non-aero wheels, maybe someone with a winter package that doesn't like the aero's would want to trade with you.

-m

Check their website. They’re available in 20 (!) different finishes from the factory. And if you don’t like one of those, then they can custom make whatever finish your heart and mind desires.

But it seems that the appearance of the wheel can vary quite a bit depending on the width you want on your four wheels. Check out the photos of the 911 and compare to the Kia Soul (!) on the bottom of the product description webpage for these wheels in my first post above…

I looked. $6K for a set of wheels is somewhat above my pay grade.

I was very tempted to order a set when the price was reduced, but I just couldn't get around those Pirelli tires (which have been shown to be useless in slippery conditions). The HRE wheels shown a few posts above are interesting, but they are white, which would look decidedly odd against my silver Model S (besides showing every bit of dirt).

The stock Pirelli's are not useless in wet conditions. They are not super great in deep snow. They are designed for and provide traction in cold and wet, plowed streets and packed snow.