Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charging options what should i do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am reservation number 8665,

I am super excited about my soon to be my first electric car. here is the situation , i currently live in a home which does not have a garage only a driveway. here are my charging options .

1) do the upgrade to my home to install a charging station which i wont be able to recoup, because the odds of an electric car owner wanting to buy my home is slim to none. plus the upgrade will cost roughly 1500.

2)rent a home with a garage so that i can install a high power charger at a lower cost

3) there's a super nice , super green condo/apartment being built 20 mins from my home that has three charging stations at no cost available to tenants. which will defer the cost of me having to install a charging station while im living in Virginia. Radius Apartments Apartment Rentals[id]/35080/

feel free to ask me any questions to help answer my issue.

I am super excited about my soon to be my first electric car. here is the situation , i currently live in a home which does not have a garage only a driveway. here are my charging options .

1) do the upgrade to my home to install a charging station which i wont be able to recoup, because the odds of an electric car owner wanting to buy my home is slim to none. plus the upgrade will cost roughly 1500..

I'd do this.

Have an electrician install a 50amp line with a 14/50 plug.

The UMC should reach.

If not, have them lay a raceway and make a charging station.

I think the $1500 is small compared to the overall cost of the Model S.

I agree with chmod a+wrx. Install a 14/50 plug with 50 amp service. This will charge in a reasonable amount of time (Ten hours for a full charge at 31 mph, but my guess is that probably two or at most three hours is all you'll use on a normal day--60 to 90 miles). It shouldn't cost all that much to install and if the house is more than 18 feet away from where the Model S' charge port is then the electrician can run a conduit to where it's closer.

my box is in the back of my town home, which is on a slab. the line will have to go over the roof or through the house some way.

i plan on moving out of virginia when my wife graduates from grad school in 1-2 yrs. so i am pro option 3

1) do the upgrade to my home to install a charging station which i wont be able to recoup, because the odds of an electric car owner wanting to buy my home is slim to none. plus the upgrade will cost roughly 1500.

2)rent a home with a garage so that i can install a high power charger at a lower cost

3) there's a super nice , super green condo/apartment being built 20 mins from my home that has three charging stations at no cost available to tenants. which will defer the cost of me having to install a charging station while im living in Virginia. Radius Apartments Apartment Rentals[id]/35080/

You definitely don't need to buy the wall-mounted charging station for the Model S. The chargers are on board. If you only have one charger on board anyway, the wall charger is worth exactly nothing to you: it delivers no more power than the UMC can give anyway.

I think you should work with your landlord to pay for the installation of a NEMA 14-50 (240V) RV-style outlet near the driveway. This will make the property more valuable (Parking with RV power provided!, etc.), and will keep you from having to park your vehicle 20 miles away every night (yuck). Running this outlet on the outside of the house or near the driveway will be slightly more expensive, and an extension cord at 240V / 40 A is ... not recommended.

Or, you can rent a home with a dryer outlet in the garage, and plug your UMC into that outlet.

I'm a little confused by your question. You talk about upgrading your home but worrying about recouping the cost when it is sold. But then you talk about moving into an apartment. Do you own your current home, but you are planning to sell it in the near future?

I'm a little confused by your question. You talk about upgrading your home but worrying about recouping the cost when it is sold. But then you talk about moving into an apartment. Do you own your current home, but you are planning to sell it in the near future?

And why wouldn't it add resale value to the home? EVs are coming! This is just the start. ;)

If you absolutely want to not spend any money upgrading temporary housing - especially if you will only be there a year or so - just charge at 110 volts.

If you have a 110volt outlet ( 20 amps is preferred ) that you can reach from your driveway you can charge with that.
110 volts 20 amps should get you 60-70 miles of recharging overnight ( 12 hours ). If you need to drive more than that two days in a row, then use a nearby charging station.

I'd go with option 3. Sounds nice and you're only there for a couple years anyway.
That also sounds like what you're leaning towards.

I agree with richkae, this would be your least expensive option and you wouldn't have to move either.

If you absolutely want to not spend any money upgrading temporary housing - especially if you will only be there a year or so - just charge at 110 volts.

If you have a 110volt outlet ( 20 amps is preferred ) that you can reach from your driveway you can charge with that.
110 volts 20 amps should get you 60-70 miles of recharging overnight ( 12 hours ). If you need to drive more than that two days in a row, then use a nearby charging station.

I agree, too. And definitely investigate charging options at your office or nearby areas.

I assume you own your townhome and plan to sell it sometime in the next 1 - 2 years when you plan to move out of state.

You should get a quote for a 240V 30A circuit. It would be a LOT cheaper to run a 30A circuit (vs a 50A circuit) from the rear of your townhouse to the garage. With a 30A circuit, you could get more than 200mi of charge overnight.

Check your garage to see if there is a 120V, 20A circuit which is currently available. Also check your garage for a sub-panel, where you might be able to install a new circuit.

How close is your laundry room to the garage? Sometimes it's just on the back side of the garage wall. You probably already have a 30A circuit there.

Worst case, I would temporarily make due with a 120V, 15A outlet, for 6 to 12 months after your Model S delivery until you are ready to move.

i currently own the home and i am recently married my wife wants to move into another place that has a pool and gym etc , also my plan was to sell the home then move out of the state in a yr or two. i live in a two story town home and the homes are connected. the circuit breaker box is located in the back of the house. to get a suitable line ran from front to back thats up to code will be expensive ( correct me if im wrong)

i currently own the home and i am recently married my wife wants to move into another place that has a pool and gym etc , also my plan was to sell the home then move out of the state in a yr or two. i live in a two story town home and the homes are connected. the circuit breaker box is located in the back of the house. to get a suitable line ran from front to back thats up to code will be expensive ( correct me if im wrong)

It will be less expensive to run a simple 14-50 line and outlet than it will be to wire up the HPWC. By adding a cheaper, standard outlet, you're increasing the value of the home for a wider audience, not just Tesla or even EV owners (someone could plug an RV into the outlet), for less money than adding a proprietary charger.

If I were you, I'd much rather pay a few bucks for a charger than have to park my prized Model S 20 minutes away every night (eeeps!).

i live in a two story town home and the homes are connected. the circuit breaker box is located in the back of the house. to get a suitable line ran from front to back thats up to code will be expensive ( correct me if im wrong)

No, you're not wrong. A long length of small gauge wire is pretty expensive. The 120V solution is probably the cheapest convenient solution for you unless you really put on more miles than a 120V line can charge.

i currently own the home and i am recently married my wife wants to move into another place that has a pool and gym etc , also my plan was to sell the home then move out of the state in a yr or two. i live in a two story town home and the homes are connected. the circuit breaker box is located in the back of the house. to get a suitable line ran from front to back thats up to code will be expensive ( correct me if im wrong

It will be less expensive to run a simple 14-50 line and outlet than it will be to wire up the HPWC. By adding a cheaper, standard outlet, you're increasing the value of the home for a wider audience, not just Tesla or even EV owners (someone could plug an RV into the outlet), for less money than adding a proprietary charger.

If I were you, I'd much rather pay a few bucks for a charger than have to park my prized Model S 20 minutes away every night (eeeps!).

no i would move into the condo/apartment which has more amenities than my current home i.e. pool, gym, FREE ELECTRIC CAR CHARGING STATIONS

Agreed. And it's not just the peeps who have EVs now, but those who are beginning to think / consider it in the next year or two. It won't be on the list of huge selling points for your home, but it just might be one more thing - why (perhaps) your home is just a little bit more forward thinking than the rest. Not that you'd realize any ROI, but your home could sell just a bit easier.

I'm not sure I'd fret the cost of the install - heck call and get 3 estimates. Estimates are free!