Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How will you put your Model S to use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My work situation is changing here (it's a good thing), but the down side is it now means I'll be commuting about 50min to an hour -- one way -- five days a week. 60 miles round trip. Through PDX and over to Vancouver, WA. Half of it with rush-hour traffic, second half against the traffic.

All of the sudden the EV aspect of this car is becoming a whole lot more meaningful. Might as well make that portion of my life enjoyable.

How will your Model S be put to use?

30 miles round trip to the office during the week, another 5miles for the gym, then just the usual weekend stuff, movies, Costco etc :). Hoping to change jobs at some point, thus realizing a bit more value from having an EV. Back in the UK my office was a daily 200 ml round trip, imagine the savings I would have got from that!

About 30 minutes each way for me.
Weekends -- purely for "the drive" and to get the kids to gymnastics.

What I'm looking forward to doing:
1. Driving in near silence for a change
2. Driving with a NICE BIG ASS navigation screen
3. Having loads of space
4. Not ever filling my car again with gas
5. watching people watch me go by...:)

Now, if I could just take the plunge.......

50 mile (round trip) commute to work, occasional 120 mile (once monthly) round trip commute to a contract site. Occasional trip to Camarillo to visit family (220 miles round trip). Local trips around town between 5-20 miles.

Long family vacation trips are reserved for the ginormous SUV.

I have a home-based office, so I plan to get up each morning, get in my Model S, drive 2 miles and work hard to always catch the red light leading to the on-ramp to I-70 East toward Denver. This is a quarter-mile ramp with a 6% incline. When the light turns green I plan on flooring it, hopefully as one of the lead cars on the dual-lane ramp, all the way onto the Interstate. Next, I plan to take the 1st exit, cross back over the highway, and return home. Eat breakfast and go to work.

Last edited:
40 miles round trip from home to office, 5x a week.
209 miles round trip from Portland to Eugene, at least 4 times per month (209 miles per day with overnights at home between the trips).
Seeking curvy roads with a low amount of other vehicles on the weekends.
Checking out the world of autocross...

I have a home-based office, so I plan to get up each morning, get in my Model S, drive 2 miles and work hard to always catch the red light leading to the on-ramp to I-70 East toward Denver. This is a quarter-mile ramp with a 6% incline. When the light turns green I plan on flooring it, hopefully as one of the lead cars on the dual-lane ramp, all the way onto the Interstate. Next, I plan to take the 1st exit, cross back over the highway, and return home. Eat breakfast and go to work.

That sounds a lot like my planned commute :biggrin: but i do plan a road trip in the first couple of months to Key West just for fun....

Four days a week, my round trip commute is 36 miles. One day a week, I play music with friends, and my round trip is roughly 72 miles. On occasion, I attend concerts in San Francisco, Berkeley or Oakland in the evenings after work, which can easily add up to 100+ miles round trip, and which have been a challenge with my RAV4-EV if there's not public charging nearby.

I am also looking forward to more frequent trips to Santa Cruz, driving the coast, etc.

I plan to buy the 60kWh car. That should make a day trip to Monterey or Napa possible provided that I can charge for awhile at the destination. I'm going to be interested to hear the details on Supercharging.

My mornings start with running the kids to their daily activities. That's a kind of annoying drive because it's all over town but it's not particularly long, maybe 20 miles total. My drive from work to home is only about 2 miles. The big deal for me is that I routinely need to drive to other towns to see clients or to go to hearings. Most of these trips are just about 100 miles each way. Some of them will be a stretch for the Model S but I'm hoping to be able to arrange for charging while I'm there. Even an hour or two at 240v (even if only 30 amp) should get me home. The only one I'm at all worried about is Eugene, OR to Medford, OR; that's about a 170 mile one-way trip with some pretty significant hills along the way. I would really need access to 50 amp, 240 volt and a few hours to get back home... or I would need to stay overnight. I might just take the ICE. :(

On the weekends I'll use it to go to Portland or to the coast to play. Perhaps even Sunriver.

I plan to put it on display. Show it to anyone that is curious about EVs.
Spread the word;)

+ a 5 mile / 7 minute each way round trip to work

and 10o's ( 10000's?) of miles on 1, 101 and 299
and a 400+ mile trip from or to the bay area (1 charge)

and hauling lots of stuff
and dog hauling (?TBD)
and just hauling Ass

and sleeping

+ i might try to make out with my car if my wife doesn't mind:tongue:

and maybe I'll head east someday (If there is a reason and enough water over that way)

82 mile round-trip commute, 5 days a week or me. Except every other week I drive down to San Diego, stay the night, then come back. I will need to find a place to charge up in SD overnight if I take the S there.

On the weekend, my wife get's the S. So she will probably be doing errands around town, site-seeing with the kids, etc.

70 miles round trip to work, which will be reduced from 100 minutes to 70 minutes total time due to commute lane sticker!

Oooh, love the commute lane sticker idea. We (us here in OR) should lobby our legislature for more EV incentives out on the road, like access to HOV lanes... or maybe we do already, and I just don't know about it yet.

Outside of my new 60 mile daily commute, we'll be using the Model S for 4 to 5 trips each year to Seattle (179 miles one way) over the weekend to visit the in-laws. We'll also make 4 to 5 trips to visit my family in the Bend / Redmond area (115 miles ow). We'll make about 2 trips to Cannon beach (75 miles ow), and maybe a trip each year to Eugene to see old classmates/friends, and maybe even Lyon (115 miles ow).

But I'm really looking forward to any Tesla Rallies that we fire up along the West Coast too!

My wife will use it as a kid ferry. Probably less than 300km a week will go on it (Hong Kong is a small place).

I'll keep driving the roadster so as to avoid having to ferry the kids around - they don't fit!

The Model S will also probably play host to my can bus analyser, at times ;-)