Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestion Box: What colors would you like Tesla to add?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MikeK

R#129, TSLA shareholder
Greetings,

I think Tesla has selected an attractive set of colors for the Model S debut, but I am struck by the lack of any light/bright colors among the cars being delivered in 2012. (White and silver are certainly "light", but they are on the white/black spectrum -- I'm referring here to "colors" that are not some variation of white or black.)

I know (Sunset) Red will debut in 2013, and I'm hoping that it will be the first of a series of brighter colors in the Model S lineup. I thought it would be interesting to talk about what colors we as future owners would like to see. Maybe these choices will actually be available to some of us. (I will be choosing from the set of 8 available to early production buyers.)

So, I'll start! Personally, I wish for a bright blue, not unlike the "Estoril Blue" that I used to have on my BMW M3 back in 1996. Or, like the Audi A5 I saw today (photo below). Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing a Model S in the bright orange that I've seen on an Aston Martin Rapide, but I don't know if I'd be able to bite the bullet and actually buy it! :)

Anybody else?

photo.jpg

I've been spending way too much attention on other cars' colors recently

Boy, can I identify with that comment! :D

I find most light colors (off the white-silver-grey spectrum) look insipid.

I've seen a lot of colors that look fine on smaller cars, but that I think would be terrible on a big car like the Model S. But, there are clearly some that would do fine. For sure one is a light blue such as I have above (I've seen a Rapide in this color and it's gorgeous).

I'd be interested to see how a color like this would look on the Model S (a very bold color, to be sure, and possibly too much for a big car but hey -- Tesla had "very orange" roadsters!):

McLaren-MP4-12C-2012-front-right-angle-view.jpg

Staying closer to the black/silver/grey/white spectrum, I've also seen a grey/silver on a Mercedes that had a lot of sparkly/pearl effect that I thought was drop-dead gorgeous. I also saw another Mercedes color that was a sort of bronze-tinged silver. Very pretty.

I've been spending way too much attention on other cars' colors recently, and I find most light colors (off the white-silver-grey spectrum) look insipid. Could you point to some examples that you like and think Tesla should emulate, jerry?

The 2001 Prius had a really nice light green available (this picture looks correct on my monitor). The top picture is a 2001. The 2004 picture on the same page isn't nearly as nice a colour (and wasn't in real life either). Another picture is here but the photo doesn't quite match the colour.

Bear in mind that the reasons for light colours are:

1. They don't show the dirt.

2. They minimize the gaudy chrome (I'd love to shoot--or better yet, boil in oil--the person who put all that tacky chrome on the Model S. The correct amount of chrome on any car is zero).

3. Hide the rock chips.

4. Look more distinctive than all the silver cars out there.

Last edited:
I must be becoming a conservative old fuddy duddy....:tongue: because none of these new bright colours appeal to me and I thought I was a progressive liberal.....
I'll be going with classic black or the current blue, both of which look fantastic with the chrome and probably the pano roof. :biggrin:
I think these colours are better for resale too as you're pitching to a smaller market with the fancy colours.

Last edited:
Brighter blue, green, and a purple would be my choices. Custom color choice at like 5k (from base) would get me, the 10k custom color option on the S that a few folks got seemed too overpriced for me

At the seattle service center they still have the roadster color samples up, the brighter colors they have there would be great.

@chmod a+wrx
Can you easily do multiple shades?
I'd like to see what a deep red top, electric blue bottom would look like. The color transition should be primarily along the line between the headlights and taillights.

Update:
Well, I really meant a blend, but I was curious so I did the crude version (with the wrong colors and no blending).

TeslaColors2.png
TeslaColors3.png

Last edited:
So which colors should be removed? Typical auto manufacturers replace colors for new model year, not just add them (excluding the custom color option, if they go that route, the choices increase dramatically). So for every new one, which one would you like pulled from the palette?