Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get Amped Tour: Houston, TX August 11 – 12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I did my test drive in Mahwah, I didn't get invited to my local Houston event. Anyone want to let me ride along in the back seat? I'll hold a camera if you want to video your ride. :) Interesting that the event as at the Westin--just seconds away from the Tesla Store (and perhaps importantly, the chargers in the Green garage), but the Galleria can have traffic congestion on the weekends, so I'm looking forward to see what route they'll pick.

Cars are Pearl White Perf, Blue (which I'm really looking forward to see), Silver, and Brown (which I saw at Mahwah and looks great).

@Bardlebee, I recorded one as well, although no doubt MikeK's version will be better. The event was great, and I spent a lot of time in in the brown one playing with the audio system since it was set to the side (driving volume was such that it wasn't needed in the rotation full time). When I arrived Brown was out in the full sun, though, and it looked even better than it did in Mahwah. I'll post more later when I can find the cable to transfer the photos from my camera. Thanks to Philipp L for letting me ride along in the white performance as he did his drive--he even got a thumbs up and a smile from a driver (trying to keep up alongside him) while he cruised along US-59.

Had a great time in Houston today. On the airplane back. I loved the blue and will for sure get it. I drove the performance but don't need it for my driving style. The regular model with 85KW battery will be fine. I was shocked at how much fun it was to drive a performance car. I have always driven ordinary not premium cars. It really make a difference to have that level of performance. I then sat in an early model beta at the show room in the mall. For anyone concerned with fit and finish, the production model is way ahead of the the beta. It's like night and day. In fact, sitting in the Beta at the show room, I though it would be better for business to remove it. The software was out of date, the handles did not work the roof did not work, and the carpet was uneven. In the truck and frunk, the carpet did not fit correctly. All of these issues have been corrected in the production model. It was a fun day, I bought some T-shirts and now must wait until February. My last parting thought was I wish I had bought a signature model just to get it sooner.

Okay, since no one else posted their photos yet, here are a few of mine, sorry for the poor quality:

2012-08-11 Tesla Test Drive Event Houston - Photos

Random Stuff:
1) I mainly focused on the blue since I hadn't seen it in person myself yet plus a few people had asked about it. It looked great!
2) Space City Con was going on at the same time at the same hotel. Nichelle Nichols was there--who knows, she may have seen the Teslas. It would have been great to get a photo of Nichelle in the car. As it was, a LOT of people were walking over looking at the cars and asking if they could drive them. The future is now!
3) They parked the Brown Performance one behind the launch tent, and while I tried not to monopolize it, there was a lot of time when no one was waiting that afforded me time to pair my phone and play with the stereo with some test music. I'll post some reactions in the stereo thread, but let's just keep it to 'wow' here.
4) Lots of people migrated from the event to the store in the mall (just a few steps away). It was quite busy, although something was wrong with the air conditioning in that part of the Galleria (it was 100F outside, so it just might not have been able to keep up). That may have shortened the time people spent asking questions. However, as others have mentioned, Tesla really needs to hurry and replace the ragged out Betas with cars the quality of these test drive cars. I know having a lower quality Beta is probably better than nothing as a store attractor, but there is just no comparison between the 'real' cars and what is in the store. I know, I know--Tesla doesn't have a demand problem, but the guy who gave me a ride today only booked a month ago. People are reading the reviews and want to know more. There is a risk the current Betas will turn some people off.
5) I could tell the non-Texas staff struggled a bit with the legal restraint of not being able to mention any pricing compared with the Texas staff who get the question 1000x a day and are prepared for all of the approaches (even when people know not to ask, they forget). The big ask is easy to fend off ("How much is the car?") but the subtle ones aren't ("The tech package is $3750, right?").

Last edited:
Okay, since no one else posted their photos yet, here are a few of mine, sorry for the poor quality:

2012-08-11 Tesla Test Drive Event Houston - Photos

Random Stuff:
1) I mainly focused on the blue since I hadn't seen it in person myself yet plus a few people had asked about it. It looked great!
2) Space City Con was going on at the same time at the same hotel. Nichelle Nichols was there--who knows, she may have seen the Teslas. It would have been great to get a photo of Nichelle in the car. As it was, a LOT of people were walking over looking at the cars and asking if they could drive them. The future is now!
3) They parked the Brown Performance one behind the launch tent, and while I tried not to monopolize it, there was a lot of time when no one was waiting that afforded me time to pair my phone and play with the stereo with some test music. I'll post some reactions in the stereo thread, but let's just keep it to 'wow' here.
4) Lots of people migrated from the event to the store in the mall (just a few steps away). It was quite busy, although something was wrong with the air conditioning in that part of the Galleria (it was 100F outside, so it just might not have been able to keep up). That may have shortened the time people spent asking questions. However, as others have mentioned, Tesla really needs to hurry and replace the ragged out Betas with cars the quality of these test drive cars. I know having a lower quality Beta is probably better than nothing as a store attractor, but there is just no comparison between the 'real' cars and what is in the store. I know, I know--Tesla doesn't have a demand problem, but the guy who gave me a ride today only booked a month ago. People are reading the reviews and want to know more. There is a risk the current Betas will turn some people off.
5) I could tell the non-Texas staff struggled a bit with the legal restraint of not being able to mention any pricing compared with the Texas staff who get the question 1000x a day and are prepared for all of the approaches (even when people know not to ask, they forget). The big ask is easy to fend off ("How much is the car?") but the subtle ones aren't ("The tech package is $3750, right?").

Your stated it better than I did. The Beta is a turn-off compared to the production model. I was very pleased to sit in the Brown production model at the event as well. I also paired my phone and played with the roof and the touch screen. Had I not done that I would have been concerned by what I saw in the show room. The Beta is a poor representation of the production model.

Last edited:
Your stated it better than I did. The Beta is a turn-off compared to the production model. I was very pleased to sit in the Brown production model at the event as well. I also paired my phone and played with the roof and the touch screen. Had I not done that I would have been concerned by what I saw in the show room. The Beta is a poor representation of the production model.

Having seen neither, it does strike me from your comments that -- when TM sez they are attending to particular issues, they are -- attending to them!