Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Winter wheels/tires packages for Model S

Quote Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
    Tesla told me:

19" wheels are $1,000
    TPMS sensors are $196
    Mounting tires (they will mount whatever you bring) is roughly $200-300. At many shops they have a third party do this; Tesla does not mark it up
    Swapping the tires and re-learning the sensors, about $87
    Plus tax, obviously

This compares to buying their Pirelli Sottozeros for $2400, plus installation (I think they charged me just over $200), plus tax.
    Thanks, that is good to know ... hopefully, if they deliver it at the beginning of the window in February and i need winter tires mounted, the montreal service center will be open by then and this will be a simple process, whether i go with the Pirellis (assuming availability by then) or the Hakkepelittas. It's nice to know i will have the choice when the time comes.
    Canadian Model S - P98 - VIN 5297: 85kWh, Dolphin Grey, Black Leather, Piano, Tech, Audio+, Air, 19", Pano, Twin, Parcel
    Reservation made November, 2010
    Brought home March, 2013

Panicking (a little)...I signed my paperwork 5 days ago and was just notified that my car would be delivered before the end of December (window of 12/15-12/31). I ordered the 21" wheels and thought I wouldn't be taking delivery until late February or March. I was planning on addressing the winter wheel issue over spring/summer (for next year). I live in the Kansas City area. We usually don't have terrible winters (1 or 2 major snows, a few light snows, and some ice), but I don't think I'll be able to make it through on the performance wheels. The winter wheel package is sold out (as you all know). I called the nearest service center and it doesn't sound like they will be available any time soon (if at all this winter). The waiting list, according to the service rep, is "everybody!" I know there have been some suggestions regarding off brand solutions (not thrilled about that). I'm curious if anyone has actually installed non-Tesla winter wheels/tires and if anyone has any strong recommendations as I scramble to get everything in order.
    P#5,371 VIN 3319--Performance 85kwh; pearl white; pano roof; black leather; CF interior; 21" silver wheels; tech & sound package; twin chargers--delivered 1/16/2013

PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbherman View Post
    I'm curious if anyone has actually installed non-Tesla winter wheels/tires and if anyone has any strong recommendations as I scramble to get everything in order.
    There are 19" turbine wheels on this thread. And you can get some Hakkapelitta R tires here.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
    Tesla told me:

19" wheels are $1,000
    TPMS sensors are $196
    Mounting tires (they will mount whatever you bring) is roughly $200-300. At many shops they have a third party do this; Tesla does not mark it up
    Swapping the tires and re-learning the sensors, about $87
    Plus tax, obviously

This compares to buying their Pirelli Sottozeros for $2400, plus installation (I think they charged me just over $200), plus tax.
    Tesla told me TPMS are $120 each, so $480 for the set.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.
    ----
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Blog Entries
    Whoa, really? They told me 48.97 each, roughly $196 for the set. Odd.
    Roadster #690; Model S #112; Model X Reserved Plug In America How to plan a road trip - how long will it take?

Thanks Jerry. I did see that recommendation. My question was meant to be: Has anyone installed and driven on this alternative winter wheel option and, if so, are you happy with them? Are there any other recommendations (assuming there are no 245/35R21 winter tires out there, as I haven't found any)? I'm not a handy "car guy," so forgive my limited understanding.
    P#5,371 VIN 3319--Performance 85kwh; pearl white; pano roof; black leather; CF interior; 21" silver wheels; tech & sound package; twin chargers--delivered 1/16/2013

CDN Model S P308
    @clea -

I think you'll probably get the car before March 15th no? They are going to be done all CDN sigs by end of December. Then let's say Canadian cars are produced at a rate of one-tenth the rate of US cars. You are general production 98, so 980 US cars are "before" you. 980 is not even three weeks of production... I'd estimate you'd be getting your car more like beginning of February.

If and when you do find a 19" winter solution, I'd really like to know what it is. I'm going to get my car with the 21" gray wheels (Performance), so I need to find a good 19" wheel/tire package. Tire Rack has some options which come to quite a bit cheaper than the TM options, but there are no TPMS sensors and the offset isn't quite right.

Thanks!

Robert
    Canadian P308 VIN 05541, P85, 21" wheels, black ext./black int., pano roof, sound studio and tech package, twin chargers, LED lighting in frunk and trunk, Opti-Coat Pro, Lighted Tesla T
    Reservation made April 26, 2012, delivered on March 14, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by zax123 View Post
    @clea -

I think you'll probably get the car before March 15th no? They are going to be done all CDN sigs by end of December. Then let's say Canadian cars are produced at a rate of one-tenth the rate of US cars. You are general production 98, so 980 US cars are "before" you. 980 is not even three weeks of production... I'd estimate you'd be getting your car more like beginning of February.

If and when you do find a 19" winter solution, I'd really like to know what it is. I'm going to get my car with the 21" gray wheels (Performance), so I need to find a good 19" wheel/tire package. Tire Rack has some options which come to quite a bit cheaper than the TM options, but there are no TPMS sensors and the offset isn't quite right.

Thanks!

Robert
    No probs, when/if i need to deal with this issue i will be sure to let you know the solution i come up with.
    Canadian Model S - P98 - VIN 5297: 85kWh, Dolphin Grey, Black Leather, Piano, Tech, Audio+, Air, 19", Pano, Twin, Parcel
    Reservation made November, 2010
    Brought home March, 2013

I don't know how much help this is going to be for folks but I just received a phone call from somebody on the Ownership Experience team. They told me that the issue with the 19" wheels is getting *very* high priority attention at Tesla right now. Meetings are happening, etc... etc... Sounded like they are going to prioritize regions that are the worst off wrt weather. I know they can't produce them out of thin air, but it's nice to know they are doing their level best to get us our tires/wheels.

Thread Information