Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter wheels/tires packages for Model S

Quote Originally Posted by mlascano View Post
    I noticed that too.
    Knowing that they are charging $3500 for the upgrade from 19" all-seasons to 21" performance and that the 21" performance extra set is $5200, that would put the 19" all-season set at ~$1700 (not bad at all if they DO offer it).
    Since tirerack has the OEM 19" RS-A2's on sale for 153, all the numbers seem to line up very well, and seem very fair to me.

Peter
    P-174 VIN P01766

I am getting the 21" performance tires and a second set of 19" wheels for winter (live outside Philly, Pa). I called Tirerack to order 4 of the OEM Goodyears for the 19" wheels since they are on sale for $153. The rep I talked to talked me out of them. He said they are on sale because Goodyear gave them a deal to buy up a bunch and get rid of them. He said if I want the best combination of ride/comfort and grip in rain/snow then he would recommend the Continental Extreme Contact DWS (Ultra High Performance) 245/45ZR19. He said they ride like a dream and are MUCH better in snow than the Goodyears. He is definitely NOT a fan of the Goodyears.The Contis have a wear rating of 540 A A and are rated 98Y. Their price is $211 each. Not bad, so I've decided to hold off and get these tires for my 19" winter wheels. Actually, I'll probably be driving these tires about 8 months each year and using the 21" summer Contis around 4 months each year.
    PLEASE NOTE: These musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent.

Are people considering prioritizing run flat tires since there is no spare? Any recommendations for a winter run flat?

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevbf View Post
    Are people considering prioritizing run flat tires since there is no spare? Any recommendations for a winter run flat?
    No:

1. Run-flat tires have very high rolling resistance so range will go down (probably a lot).

2. With run-flat tires you never really know when you have a flat so what might be repairable in a normal tire means purchasing a new run-flat tire.

3. Run-flat tires are expensive.

The only places where run-flat tires are useful are military applications (where people are shooting at the tires) and fork-lift tires in a nail factory (or similar type usage).

Tesla is selling wheels separately for a very reasonable price so just buy one and you'll have a spare.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

I plan to buy Nokian hakkaR stud less tires which are better for snow though not as good for ice as the studded or as performance as the Perelli sottozero. They have low rolling resistance and use cannolla oil instead of other noxious substances.

What I am struggling with is whether to get the 19 inch wheel from Tesla or an expensive turbine aftermarket. Any suggestions?

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by William13 View Post
    What I am struggling with is whether to get the 19 inch wheel from Tesla or an expensive turbine aftermarket. Any suggestions?
    Given that a winter wheel tends to get banged up, get the less expensive one from Tesla.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Found this chart at Tirerack.com
    I'm going with the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position for my extra set of 19" wheels for winter driving.
    Consumer Survey Results By Category
    PLEASE NOTE: These musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent.

P1937 Reward Excellence!
    I'd like a set of 20" Turbine wheels. At 20" you have gobs of choices in all categories and price ranges. At 21" you have 1 or 2 super high priced summer only tires.

If anyone finds a set of 20's styled like the 21's that will fit the S please post!

Quote Originally Posted by teslasguy View Post
    Found this chart at Tirerack.com
    I'm going with the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position for my extra set of 19" wheels for winter driving.
    Consumer Survey Results By Category
    Sidenote: I wish they had duration/wear in their survey in some form as well.

For your consideration...

Observe the "Total Reported Miles" column. My interpretation of that column is that they have the 2nd least amount of data from a mileage perspective -- and more than an order of magnitude less than for the top 2-3 in that column.

Weighing that in mind, I consider the "2+ million mile club" to have more valuable survey results. Given that, the similar numbers in the other columns, and the price difference, I would probably lean toward the Continentals. The Michelins yellow boxes in the important-for-me-when-considering-all-seasons columns of "WINTER/SNOW" disqualifies it.

So I guess my process of elimination is this:
    1. If you have a yellow in WET or WINTER/SNOW, you're disqualified. (Remove Michelin, Yokohama x2, Goodyear)
    2. Sort decreasing by Total Miles Reported and remove where there's a significant drop in miles. (Remove Bridgestone and General - nearly order of magnitude gap between 691,389 and 6,033,192)
    3. Compare what's left: Continental > Pirelli, except for price and DRY columns
    4. Conclude: When buying an all-season tire for ugly conditions (non-DRY) and $214 vs. $151 isn't a deal-breaker on price, easily go with Continental.

That's my read of the consumer survey. There are other inputs to the decision, but that's how I process this input.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

What I didn't mention in my earlier post was that the Tirerack rep I spoke to was an emphatic believer in the Bridgestone Potenza Poles. He said that he personally uses them on his car and some of the other reps do as well.
    He said he's also used the Conti's and in his opinion the Bridgestones are far superior. Just an fyi.

Thread Information