Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter wheels/tires packages for Model S

Winter wheels/tires packages for Model S

At my test drive this weekend in Toronto I was told that Tesla will soon officially announce their winter wheels/tires packages for Model S.

Prelim info is they will offer 2 options, both on the 19" rims currently being offered with all-season tires (I'm assuming 245/45/19):

- Option 1: non-studded Pirelli winter tires (no info yet on which ones), set of 4 for $2400
    - Option 2: studded Nokian winter tires (no info on which one but I'm assuming Hakkapeliitta 7), set of 4 for $2800

No word yet on the availability/pricing of purchasing just the extra set of 19" rims.

For general reference, price on TireRack.com for Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II (Performance Winter/Snow) are $271 each ($1084 for a set of 4); price on Tiresbyweb.com for Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 (studded) are $339 each ($1356 for a set of 4).

I've never had to switch between summer and winter tires (I've used all-seasons on my previous and current rides), but since I'm going with the 21" performance tires, being in NE Ohio, I'll need to switch to either all-season or winter tires from November to March. So pending availability/pricing on the extra set of rims, I'll most likely be purchasing from Tesla Option 1 mentioned above.

Thoughts on pricing, choice of tires by TM?
    Last edited by mlascano; 2012-08-07 at 06:32 AM.

Blog Entries
    Well, if the tires are $271 then the rims installed and balanced are $329.

The last time I bought a set of high-quality rims they were, coincidentally, $329 each.

Sounds okay to me.
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

Dont know the Pirellis but the studded Nokian hakkapellita 5 and 7 are the only ones I use here. Great grip in snow, slush and ice.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Doug is correct, that's actually a reasonable price. The only question I have is "Do the Nokians have to come with studs?". Obviously they have stud holes in them but the actual studs should be optional. Studs are generally a bad idea because of the increased rate lung cancer in areas where studs are frequently used (that's actually why studless tires were developed).

I'm not a fan of Pirelli tires, so that wouldn't be an option for me.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    Doug is correct, that's actually a reasonable price. The only question I have is "Do the Nokians have to come with studs?". Obviously they have stud holes in them but the actual studs should be optional. Studs are generally a bad idea because of the increased rate lung cancer in areas where studs are frequently used (that's actually why studless tires were developed).

I'm not a fan of Pirelli tires, so that wouldn't be an option for me.
    Agree with both you and Doug, pricing seems reasonable.
    My understanding is that the Nokians they'll offer are the studded version and that if you want no studs the option they'll offer is the Pirellis.
    We'll have to wait for the official announcement for conclusive info on this. If they choose to offer non-studded Nokians would you opt for those?

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Wonder why they didn't go with the non-studded Nokian's since people seem to love them as well. It looks like studded tires are legal in Indiana from Oct. 1st - May 1st (parent's live there so I'm researching winter tires for them). Would people still recommend the studded Nokian's for mild Indiana winters?

Quote Originally Posted by mlascano View Post
    We'll have to wait for the official announcement for conclusive info on this. If they choose to offer non-studded Nokians would you opt for those?
    Without a second thought. I've had really good luck with Nokians and in any place where I have lived with a real winter, I always purchased a second set of wheels and installed real snow tires. Also, all my ice racing buddies used Nokians unless they could get real (meaning non-street legal) ice racing tires from Michelin or Yokohama.

Note that right now I'm in Texas so snow tires (and the associated wheels) of any kind aren't high on the list, but I lived in Canada for over 25 years before coming to Texas so I know a bit about winter driving and about snow tires.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by dsm363 View Post
    Wonder why they didn't go with the non-studded Nokian's since people seem to love them as well.
    No idea. The Hakkapeliitta R come in 245/45R19 101R so size availability isn't a problem.

It looks like studded tires are legal in Indiana from Oct. 1st - May 1st (parent's live there so I'm researching winter tires for them). Would people still recommend the studded Nokian's for mild Indiana winters?
    I don't recommend studs except for ice racing when you're only on ice and snow covered surfaces. Studs traditionally help people with very poor winter driving skills because when they spin the tires the tires melt a bit of the ice creating a film of water over the ice. The studs cut through the film of water providing some traction. However, with traction control preventing wheel spin, studs are much less helpful because the wheels don't spin.

1. Studs hold some of the rubber off the pavement so stopping distances are longer.

2. Studs chip the road surface causing small particles to become airborne. These particles are very bad for the lungs.

3. Studs are very damaging to the road surface increasing road maintenance costs. Studded tires are the only area where cars and light trucks cause any pavement damage.

4. Good studless snow tires work as well as or better than studded tires in most winter conditions.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Thanks. I didn't think studded tires were worth it but wanted to double check. Would you recommend the Hakkapeliitta Rs you linked then if we can buy the rims without the Pirelli tires?

Thanks. I didn't think studded tires were worth it but wanted to double check. Would you recommend the Hakkapeliitta Rs you linked then if we can buy the rims without the Pirelli tires?
    Yes. They would be a fine tire for the Model S for winter use.

(Disclaimer: I don't currently work for any tire manufacturer and have never worked for Nokian)

Thread Information