Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vanity Fair-Is the Tesla Model S the Most Important Car of the 21st Century?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah. But not so great when a car review forces me to look up movie stills from obscure French films to figure out what he's talking about. Still, an honest and enthusiastic review. I enjoyed it.

I'm guessing that if you're a Vanity Fair subscriber, you've watched all those films and would know the meaning without research.:smile:

I took possession of a Model S Founders #30 two weeks ago and I couldn't agree more. It's probably the most significant advancement in Automotive technology since, well the beginning. Beyond being a sensational car, it is very clear it is a new platform and the beginning of a fork in the road for automotive innovation.

I took possession of a Model S Founders #30 two weeks ago and I couldn't agree more. It's probably the most significant advancement in Automotive technology since, well the beginning. Beyond being a sensational car, it is very clear it is a new platform and the beginning of a fork in the road for automotive innovation.

Welcome. We'd love to see a review if you have a chance too. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

Personally, I see Model S as the first real car. Altogether. Of course not the first thing with four wheels, but the first car that really is what we will understand a car to mean to be. If that makes sense.

It might not be the first real car (the DS series takes that title IMHO), but it's the first real electric car for sure and probably the second real car.

It might not be the first real car (the DS series takes that title IMHO), but it's the first real electric car for sure and probably the second real car.

DS series? If you agree Model S is the first real electric car, to me it means that it is also the first real car, altogether, as I think non-electric cars will be seen as a precursor, not the real thing. Like horse-drawn carriages. ;)

DS series? If you agree Model S is the first real electric car, to me it means that it is also the first real car, altogether, as I think non-electric cars will be seen as a precursor, not the real thing. Like horse-drawn carriages. ;)

I agree with you that non-electric cars will be seen as a precursor, but the ID/DS (I had a DS so I tend to think DS) had many innovations that still haven't made it into cars today (or into many cars). The first was sold in 1955:

First production car with disk brakes
Adjustable suspension height
Front wheel drive
Centre point steering
Inboard brakes
Lights that follow the road
Aerodynamic styling
Flat undercarriage (only the exhaust was outside the flat pan on the bottom)
Would run on any three wheels and lift the flat tire off the ground.
Could parallel park in any space that was 12" longer that the car.
The ratcheting could be disabled from the foot operated parking brake and it could be used as a real emergency brake (with its own set of pads on the rotors).
The list goes on for quite a ways.

Basically it was everything a car should be other than being electric.