Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC and 60 kWh battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone considering this combo? I'm thinking more economics. $10,000 for longer range battery vs. $2700 for HPWC and twin chargers.

Assuming SCW-Greg's interpretation of your question is correct, I think the HPWC should be left out of the comparison because if you needed the extra range, I don't think the HPWC, presumably installed at your home, would help much vs a 14-50 (in both cases you can still fully charge overnight with both packs). If you are talking about one installed at work, that's a different story.

The twin charger may still be of value depending on how many public 20kW stations get installed on a route you need to take.

Sorry for being vague.

I would like to get the 60 kWh version. Instead of paying $10,000 more for the longer range, I would get the twin chargers and the HPWC. My thought would be that if I exhausted the range of the 60 kwh battery, I might not be able to fully charge by the AM with the UMC. If I bought the 85kwh version, I would have range left over, and recharging to full would be less of an issue????

I think the vs is 85kWh battery vs 60 plus HPWC and extra charger.

I'm getting the HPWC for the convenience, not because I'm going to need more than 40 amps of charging on a frequent basis which is the reason for the twin chargers.

The answer to the question is how many amps you'll need on an overnight charge. Do you plan to drive 200 miles, charge overnight then drive 200 miles again?

I'm getting the HPWC for the convenience, not because I'm going to need more than 40 amps of charging on a frequent basis which is the reason for the twin chargers.

The answer to the question is how many amps you'll need on an overnight charge. Do you plan to drive 200 miles, charge overnight then drive 200 miles again?

Good point... will you need a full and complete charge the following day... And if you did, you'd really want the HWPC and twins for the 85kWh car, as it takes even longer to charge than the 60kWh batt.

But most everyone comes home by 6 or 7pm (thinking of the Cleavers here), and will have a full charge by 7am the next day on a 14-50 outlet.

Only important if you need more than (hours) * (30) miles of range the next time you use the car. E.g. If you charge for 4 hours you'll have 120 miles of range. The hpwc is capable of charging twice as fast.
In case you don't know, you don't have to fully charge the car before using it.

Sorry for being vague.

I would like to get the 60 kWh version. Instead of paying $10,000 more for the longer range, I would get the twin chargers and the HPWC. My thought would be that if I exhausted the range of the 60 kwh battery, I might not be able to fully charge by the AM with the UMC. If I bought the 85kwh version, I would have range left over, and recharging to full would be less of an issue????
Depends on if you need to regularly tap into the range mode in the 60kWh (187mi EPA) vs the standard mode with 90% charge (168mi EPA). If you have a UMC and a 14-50, you should be able to charge the 60kWh in 6-8 hours.

The charging speed will be the same for the 85kWh (but full charge will take longer). What the 85kWh gives you vs. the 60kWh is that 25kWh buffer which you can use over the week in case you can't recharge 60kWh every day (gives you a 25kWh/5 days = 5kWh buffer per day or a 8% daily buffer). If that buffer is not enough the 85kWh pack won't help and you would need the twin chargers+HPWC anyways.

Depends on if you need to regularly tap into the range mode in the 60kWh (187mi EPA) vs the standard mode with 90% charge (168mi EPA). If you have a UMC and a 14-50, you should be able to charge the 60kWh in 6-8 hours.

Thank you for all the fine answers!

This was the response I needed to hear. I typically will be home for about 5-7 hours, so I think the UMC should be able to meet my demands then.

Thank you for all the fine answers!

This was the response I needed to hear. I typically will be home for about 5-7 hours, so I think the UMC should be able to meet my demands then.
If the UMC turns out to be not enough, you can always add the twin charger (the extra space is already there in the car and according to a rep the charger can be added afterwards) and HPWC later.

The Tesla website has a neat calculator that you can calculate charge time by inputting miles and selecting the charger you have (click the calculator section):
http://www.teslamotors.com/models/charging#/calculator
If you input 240 miles (the advertised ideal range of the 60kWh pack) you get 7:32 for the time and 67.9kWh of energy from the socket when you select a 14-50 socket and single charger. You can play around with the tool to see if it will work for you. Just keep in mind the range specified is ideal range, so you may want to adjust for the fact that 300 miles in ideal range is equal to 265 miles of EPA range.

Depends on if you need to regularly tap into the range mode in the 60kWh (187mi EPA) vs the standard mode with 90% charge (168mi EPA).

BTW, do you have the standard mode EPA mileage for the 85kWh car? I've seen the range mode EPA, which if memory serves is somewhere near 267. I just hadn't seen the other number posted. thx.

EDIT: Oh, just found this thread on the topic: Question on EPA rating

Last edited: