Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Constructive input - Would you like back-of-front-seat storage pockets?

Constructive input - Would you like back-of-front-seat storage pockets?

• Yes, they should be standard

Votes: 67 55.4%
  • Yes, they should be a no-cost option

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • Yes, they should be a for-cost option

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • No, they should not be an option

Votes: 15 12.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a spin off of a post I made under the Opportunity Console thread about the "Rear Console" option Tesla gave us to comment on. Check it out for a couple pictures of examples of tight mesh style storage pockets. (Added Aug 6-more pictures.) Here's the gist from that thread:

This type of solution to rear seat storage / beverage holders might meet the needs of many people and be preferable to some in lieu of or in addition to the "Rear Console" option we have been given to comment on. Such pockets can be added to the the existing car relatively simply, appear perfectly integrated, provide storage about equal to door pockets, serve as closed-top beverage holders, do not lose a passenger seat and are low cost. I'm curious what others think about the idea. I will post a poll about it as a separate thread so Tesla can gauge the forum's consensus at a glance.

I'm really hoping this thread will stay very positive and give Tesla some constructive feedback from forum members on this specific idea without winding down into negative comments about storage and cup holders in general.

Last edited:
I've been talking a lot about storage needs for Model S, but pockets on the backs of the front seats don't cut it. They either don't stretch enough to hold anything useful, or if they do stretch enough then they're ugly, plus anything useful (like a water bottle) gets in the way of your knees. About the only thing back of seat pockets would do is cover the plastic seat back - and that's a good thing.

So, they'd have to be shallow and made of leather (or something matching the seat leather well), and in that case I'd vote for them. But any kind of mesh or vinyl thing and I'd vote no. I'd rather get my seat backs wrapped with CF vinyl.

That's not in the poll, so I didn't vote.

You should have another possible answer. "No, I don't want them but they should be an option for others".
Frankly, after driving a Roadster for the past 2 years I am thrilled just to Have back seats:)
IMHO, back of seat storage pockets is ugly. If I don't have it I won't miss it. If I do it just gathers clutter.

I've never used this storage options because the pockets eventually get stretched out a little, gap, and don't look good. Obviously if you don't overstuff them, this wouldn't happen -- but they always get overstuffed.

IMO, car storage is like purses. I will fill it.

I don't see the storage pocket as a negative or a positive. I wouldn't use it, but that doesn't mean others shouldn't have it.

I'm mixed on this one. Our current cars have them and they are occasionally very handy. But as Bonnie points out they tend to just become a catch all for everything. I'd much rather have a nice built in version of the optional rear seat cupholder/storage box, but of I have to I'll probably just buy it as an option to have when I need it.

I use the back seat pockets to hold mpg graphs and other material for the Prius. If I didn't have the back pockets then that stuff would just have to sit on the rear seats. I see no harm from adding the pockets, and I've found them very useful.

I've been talking a lot about storage needs for Model S, but pockets on the backs of the front seats don't cut it. They either don't stretch enough to hold anything useful, or if they do stretch enough then they're ugly, plus anything useful (like a water bottle) gets in the way of your knees. About the only thing back of seat pockets would do is cover the plastic seat back - and that's a good thing.

So, they'd have to be shallow and made of leather (or something matching the seat leather well), and in that case I'd vote for them. But any kind of mesh or vinyl thing and I'd vote no. I'd rather get my seat backs wrapped with CF vinyl.

That's not in the poll, so I didn't vote.

Agree completely.

I prefer "They should not be standard" for all the reasons listed here (essentially: they hold 3 sheets of paper, or they stretch and look like crud). I think any kind of "should not be an option" choice in polls is pointless and silly; no one should be voting to prevent options (well, except for fake car noise crapola ;-) ), but otherwise, "No they should not be an option" (especially without a "Not standard, but okay as option" choice) is too restrictive.

That said, I guess I'll vote "No, they should not be an option" 'cuz I don't want them standard. I can't control what back-seat passengers, especially younger ones (as rare as they might be) do and I wouldn't want them stretched out. :)

Anyway, my half-awake griping aside, it's a great idea for a poll, so thanks for putting it up! Sorry I'm so nit-picky over the choices. It seems to be a forum hazard....

I really don't want them in my car for various reasons and, while it wouldn't bother me if other folks did, it would bother me if Tesla diverted time and energy from dealing with some of the more pressing issued of the vehicle to deal with this or if they delayed the major production ramp because of it.

I too would not wish Tesla to delay their ramp up for back-of-front-seat storage pockets. However, we know they are working on improved storage and beverage holder solutions as add-ons to the car-as-it-is from their requests for input on the Opportunity Console thread from which this poll was spun off. Back-of-front-seat storage pockets fall into the same category of solutions as their "Rear Console" option so I thought it reasonable to assume Tesla might like constructive input with respect to alternatives. By starting this poll I am not suggesting Tesla divert resources not already earmarked to the issue, goodness no.

In response to comments about the aesthetics and materials of back-of-front-seat storage pockets, here are some photos from the Internet of several current-model cars with which Model S is competing. It is interesting that every one of these competitors comes with such storage pockets. Also interesting is that the materials chosen by the car manufacturers for the pockets are not the same. The pockets on the Audi A7 and Jaguar XF are relatively tight mesh, on the MB E350 and Porsche Panamera they appear to be leather, and on the BMW 5 series plastic. From these photos I agree with those who feel leather pockets may be aesthetically unattractive with a tendency to stretch out. Though any type of pocket would be functional, tight mesh pockets with a reinforced top edge similar to the Jaguar XF design seem to me like they would do an excellent job both functionally and aesthetically. What type of pocket do you think would work best with Model S compared to what the competition is doing?

Jaguar XF (mesh with reinforced top edge)
Jaguar XF.jpg

Audi A7 (mesh)
Audi A7.jpg

Porsche Panamera (leather)
porsche_panamera_s+rear_interior.jpg

Mercedes E350 (leather)
MB 350.jpg

BMW 5 series (plastic)
bmw 5-series.jpg

What type of pocket do you think would work best with Model S compared to what the competition is doing?

Jaguar XF (mesh with reinforced top edge)
View attachment 8574

I'd lean towards mesh with a rigid top, as that won't show the nasty stretching seen with leather kangaroo pouches.

Also, with a mesh pocket you can get a better idea of what it contains without having to root around using a flashlight to find small crap hidden in the bottom (for those of us with kids still riding in the back seat)

here are some photos from the Internet of several current-model cars with which Model S is competing. It is interesting that every one of these competitors comes with such storage pockets....

What's interesting is that all of these manufacturers color match the plastic to the seating leather, except Tesla, which always uses black plastic no matter what color leather the seats have.