Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GenIII, "We really need to find a better name for it"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gjunky

Trifecta: Solar and both cars are EVs
Mar 26, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Elon said it during the last earnings call, we really should find a better name for the GenIII car. Here it goes then. Assuming we are staying withe the "Model -" type naming, I think it might make sense to call the GenIII line of cars the Model M.

We can then have variants:
Model MS = Sedan
Model MX = Crossover
Model MT = Truck

The question would be the next Roadster which I will guess gets it's own letter in Model R

"Gen3" (AKA "Bluestar") targets BMW 3 series.
Maybe just shorten it to G3 ?

G3S=Sedan
G3R=Roadster
G3X=Crossover
G3T=Truck

3 letter model names are common, for instance:
Mazda Rx8
Nissan GTR
Subaru WRX
Cadillac CTS
Acura NSX
Honda CRZ
Suzuki SX4
Lincoln MKZ
Mercedes CLS
VW GLI
Volvo S60
etc...

G3S=Sedan
G3R=Roadster
G3X=Crossover
G3T=Truck

Too cryptic in my opinion. Now that we already have the Model S and Model X Tesla might want to find something that doesn't break with that (short) tradition. The roadster being called a Roadster is OK, and then new roadster can also simply be called Roadster.

For the foreseeable future Tesla doesn't need a dozen names - let's start with filling that 400,000/year NUMMI plant capacity. The Gen3 being the mass-market car, I still think Model T would be great.

Who knew - I didn't - that the predecessor to the Ford Model T was the Ford Model S?

You know, I think that car companies these days like to use short alphanumeric (nonsensical) names, just so that they don't end up with names like Prizm, Equus, or Yaris. Sounds like characters in an old Godzilla movie!:tongue: But you also end up with bad naming schemes like the entire Lincoln MKzzz lineup. That said, I do miss some of the more evocative nameplates like Legend, Continental, and even "Wagoneer".

Also, I just thought of this one - Tesla Model J (named after the Duesenberg Model J of 1928 - best car of it's time).

The Model C and Model E for me are too much linked with the Mercedes C-class and E-class.

Naming cars is not all that easy in an international market. The Mazda MR2 (french pron. "em-er-deux", sounding like "merde"); Chevy Nova (no-va = won't go); Ford Pinto (something with small genitals in Spanish?) and the list goes on and on.

After the Roadster and Model S and X, made-up names would not be a logical follow-up. Keeping with the Model # moniker maximizes the reputation carry-over from the Gen II to Gen III.

One other option would be to go with a "Model S2" (smaller S), "Model S3" (nod to BMW), etc. They could keep the S for sedans, X for cross-overs and e.g. a C for a Coupe.

I guess it's time for a focus group!

I put my vote in for Model T also (association with Ford be damned).

Does Ford still have a copyright on Model T somehow? It's been over 100 years though.
They recently put in an application for the trademark in late 2009 (most likely as response to Tesla's application for Model S in early 2009, given Ford used to own that trademark too, since the car before the Model T was the Model S). As I mentioned in a previous discussion, Ford has yet to prove commercial usage of the trademark (they can't unless they make a new car with the Model T name) and the deadline to do so is early 2013. I think Tesla has a decent chance of taking the trademark if they wanted to.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ng-Speculation?p=168503&viewfull=1#post168503

The Model C and Model E for me are too much linked with the Mercedes C-class and E-class.
I don't think that's much of an issue. Model S could have been linked to the Mercedes S-class but so far there's no issue.

The Mazda MR2 (french pron. "em-er-deux", sounding like "merde")
This reminds me of the Audi e-tron (which has a similar alternate meaning in French).

"RoadRunner" ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rr90w5h4KQ&feature=endscreen

RoadRunner.png

(Meep. Meep.)

Last edited: