Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LA Times article on Elon Musk, SpaceX & Tesla Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk of SpaceX: The goal is Mars - latimes.com

Apropos of Tesla Motors, you've said in 20 years half the new cars produced will be electric. What, we'll still have to drive cars? We won't move by means of molecular disassembly?
That'd be nice! There may be something cooler than a car in 20 years, but the most likely outcome is that we'll still have cars and they'll be predominantly electric.
Where will that electricity come from?
I think solar will be the largest source [he owns a solar company, SolarCity]. It's not obvious that solar will be a majority of power generation, but I think it'll be a plurality. [The rest will] come from a combination of some nuclear, wind, hydroelectric, geothermal. Power generated by burning hydrocarbons we'll use more sparingly, as it should be used, as something that's not going to come back; because it's not. We are being complete wastrels [with fossil fuel]. It's like some heir to a fortune who had nothing to do with creating the fortune and so gives no care to its consumption.

Commercializing space, electric cars — aren't you spread a little thin?
I've been going past the red line on the gauge for a while now. It's honestly not been fun, but I have to continue for a bit longer, because for Tesla in particular, we're at the stage where the company's survival is in question. The market has given us a good evaluation. We have great supporters and great detractors. The detractors have a point, that the last successful car company started in America 90 years ago. DeLorean and Tucker brought cars to market, but they were unable to scale up their production and reach profitability. The next six months will decide whether Tesla will be the first new [successful] car company in a century.

On molecular disassembly...

That reminds me. Why is it we never saw a Star Trek episode that used transporter technology for medical purposes (tumor removal, etc.)?
I think there was an episode where the medical transporter on Voyager was used to transport a baby from one womb to another in order to save someone's life.

On molecular disassembly...

That reminds me. Why is it we never saw a Star Trek episode that used transporter technology for medical purposes (tumor removal, etc.)?

<off-topic geek mode>Sure we did; for example, they used it to cure Doctor Katherine Pulaski of extreme aging caused by exposure to the immune system of modified humans.</off-topic geek mode>

I've been going past the red line on the gauge for a while now. It's honestly not been fun, but I have to continue for a bit longer, because for Tesla in particular, we're at the stage where the company's survival is in question. The market has given us a good evaluation. We have great supporters and great detractors. The detractors have a point, that the last successful car company started in America 90 years ago. DeLorean and Tucker brought cars to market, but they were unable to scale up their production and reach profitability. The next six months will decide whether Tesla will be the first new [successful] car company in a century.

That must have been one of the most reckless statements I ever read of Elon.
Totally out of mind.
Either he knows something we don´t know,is dangerously tired out, or is simply resignated, which would be worst case scenario.

You simply CANNOT make these statement, on the eve of ramp up.
Man-he is the boss-
if he DOES NOT belive in success of Tesla, why should the public?

Steve Jobs would have turned in his grave.
Monday Tesla stock will be punished.

Damn!

Totally out of mind.
Either he knows something we don´t know,is dangerously tired out, or is simply resignated, which would be worst case scenario.

Man-he is the boss-

Damn!

Another pointless dooms day prediction. You were already wrong about the safety ratings.

It just means that Tesla has to do well in the next six month. And they will.

Surely you're so naive to take literally what the reporter said he said he said. Remember, this is a media interview, summarized in the reporter's language. If you have any experience with the media you would know that reporters very rarely get it right. Most likely those were the reporter's words, not Elon's.

Totally out of mind.

Man-he is the boss-

Damn!

Even if that statement is verbatim, I see nothing wrong with telling it like it is...or, in other words, telling the truth. Nothing reckless about the truth. Indeed, it's refreshing and it's not like this is the first time Tesla, or SpaceX for that matter, is facing a do or die situation. Risk nothing, gain nothing.

Totally out of mind.

Man-he is the boss-

Damn!

I could not disagree more. Everyone with half a brain knows that if the Model S flops, so does Tesla. If Elon denied this fact, it would call into question everything else he has said. Elon is doing incredible things, and asking alof of us to trust him. He must be honest with if he wants to keep our trust. Being honest about the road ahead is the only way to keep that trust, and Elon is following the right path with this statement.

The general discussion taps into something generally at play in politics:
People often vote against the truth-tellers because reality is often uncomfortable.
I dare say the fact that almost half the stock is being shorted, shows someone else sees this and has less belief than "us" in that Musk will manage to pull it off.

Cobos

Not knowing the details of that conflict I always got the impression that Eberhard was more an engineer and Musk was more a businessman in outlook. Hence why v2.0 of the Roadster had quite a few changes that made the car cheaper. Both in actual money for Tesla but also for the customer, though they prioriticed stuff that the customer would be less likely to notice.

Cobos