Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Bicycles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Hong Kong, electric bikes are considered motor cycles, and as such are illegal. Fine is up to 2500 USD or 6 months in jail (no sh.. !)

It doesn't matter if it's pedal assist, speed limited or what, any engine/motor to help propel it means it needs to be registered as a motor cycle.

What a shame as it's a perfect place for e-bikes, due to the weather being hot and humid in summer. On the other hand, most areas are not very bike friendly at all, and almost everyone knows one or more people who have been killed or severely injured on a bike (as traffic safety and driving culture is about 50 years behind the modern world).

On the same note, the extra 5+2 seats in a Tesla model S are not approved in Hong Kong, despite being the safest seats in a car which is already the safest car in the world.

Hong Kong is a funny mix of Chinese hard legislation, and a history of British colonial rule. Not very forward looking or realistic, but filled with prohibitions of all kinds, some more weird than others. Inline skating, skate boarding and other similar small-wheel sports is mostly illegal in parks and other places which are perfect to skate.

Cars and public transport rules. Despite that, I have still considered to get a Bullit cargo bike, and just hoping not to get caught.

Does anyone on this forum own / ride an electric bicycle? I'm strongly considering buying either an IZIP E3 Dash or an Easy Motion Neo Cross, and I was just wondering if anyone here had any experience with e-biking in general.
Yup. Looks like the E-Motion is similar in performance to mine (350W 36V 9.6 A-hr) I have a mountain bike outfitted with the BionX LiMnO2 battery & motor/controller. BionX has regen which I find to be a great feature.
I've put about 2500 mi on it. Mostly on the 12 mi R/T ride to work with a significant hill in between. I get to work without needing a shower. On the way home I can push it as hard as I feel like. Love it.
I do sometimes get some "sniffs" from the latex biking crowd when we pass at times. E-bikes aren't cool to them I guess. Reminds me of me as a kid when I was a less than generous surfer around the long-board crowd in Santa Cruz. Karma makes me smile.

Yes my wife and I also have the BionX system but we bought the entire bikes stock from Toba with the system installed. Regen is great, I actually like it more for the auto-braking it provides down long hills. 4 levels of assist plus the "little red button" for full-on assist, but the assist can be 0 too (I.e. like a normal bike). The assist gives us confidence to go on far longer trips than we would normally try because we know the assist will get us home - you still pedal but the pedalling is easier. My wife hates, I mean HATES, up hill so we wouldn't be biking if we didn't have the assist.

The assist seamlessly reduces around 30km/hr so that by 32km/hr it's at zero. This allows them to be classified for normal biking and multi-use trails. Legally speaking they aren't motor vehicles in most North American laws.

I would say say the only problem with the bikes is they're a bit heavy with the motor integrated into the rear axel and the battery on the front downtube (handlebars to front sprocket); they handle a bit differently. But I wouldn't give them up; they're great.

Does anyone on this forum own / ride an electric bicycle? I'm strongly considering buying either an IZIP E3 Dash or an Easy Motion Neo Cross, and I was just wondering if anyone here had any experience with e-biking in general.

I do have an electric assist bicycle although not those models. Mine is converted from a normal mountain bike using the ezee kit:
eZee Bike Canada
eZee Electric Bike Conversion Kit Review - YouTube

I have front wheel motor, while the rear wheel is still powered by the foot pedal with the usual 21 gear system. It has a sensor on the pedal to synchronize the motor with pedaling. It also has a throttle so its possible to use the motor without pedaling but I don't really use that mode (sometimes on steep uphills).
The electric motor works up to 32km/h (~20mph), which is pretty easy to reach on flat terrain with little effort and can be maintained.
The range when I bought was about 50km (along with pedaling), but now after 4 years it has dropped to barely 30km. I am probably at fault for that as I always fully charged the Li-ion battery and left it plugged in whenever I did not use, sometimes for long periods which obviously ruined the battery pack.

I have ridden an Ecospeed conversion of a Bike E recumbent for 4 years. It uses a 10 AH lithium iron pack that has not lost power perceptibly. It I have seen over 1000watts on the power meter. It drives through a countershaft so the power is multiplied through the gears. It can really climb even pulling a trailer of groceries. I like it. Best Electric Bike Trike Conversion Kits | Electric Hybrid Bike Motor Kits
Recently, as I was walking through Schipol airport in Amsterdam, I saw a really neat folding bike. It appears beautifully engineered. I have no idea how well it rides.
MANDO FOOTLOOSE

I decided to purchase the IZIP E3 Dash! I'm very excited about it :)

Here are a few pictures from my last outing:

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

Also, the electric bicycle visits its big brothers:

IMG_0811.JPG

IMG_0812.JPG

Anyone have recommendations for electronic adult tricycle? I know there was an E-bike company at TESLIVE expo last year which had them in their marketing brochure, but weren't carrying them anymore. Basically looking for stable mobility mover that can be used on street at biking speeds.

Not it ready for motorized wheelchair yet, and they are slow, basically walking speed, I want something I can use to get a few groceries.

Anyone have recommendations for electronic adult tricycle? I know there was an E-bike company at TESLIVE expo last year which had them in their marketing brochure, but weren't carrying them anymore. Basically looking for stable mobility mover that can be used on street at biking speeds. Not it ready for motorized wheelchair yet, and they are slow, basically walking speed, I want something I can use to get a few groceries.
Does it have to be a trike?If not, have a look at Cargo bike BULLITT, a fast cargo bike designed by Larry vs Harry, Copenhagen, Denmark

That's cool, but they don't seem to be available in US. I am considering this one:

Electric Trike - Electric Wheels - EW-88 - YouTube

I saw that for 1400 USD, not too bad. The Bullit and Christiania bikes are much more pricey. This looks appealing to myself as well, as I have been looking for something to carry me and luggage/groceries/etc a shorter distance, when it's 90F and close to 100% humidity. I'm not lazy, but getting into a bus or taxi, already drenched in sweat on the way to work is not very practical. If I could self-propel for that distance, it would be much easier to keep cool.

This is what we are up against in Hong Kong:

http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/201305/08/P201305070364.htm

You shouldn't think that this is the year 2014!

given that Taiwan, the United Kingdom and various provinces/municipalities on the Mainland permit the use of electric bicycles if certain requirements are complied with ...

Can you say "almost everywhere in the world, apart from Hong Kong and possibly, North Korea" ?

... there are people riding electric bicycles, which look like normal bicycles but installed with small motors, at high speeds and carrying passengers and goods, thereby seriously endangering the safety of pedestrians and drivers

Electric bikes, limited to 26 km/h - is that high speeds? How about the trucks in Hong Kong, they have no speed limiters like most other civilised states require. It happens all the time that you are passed by a truck, even huge ones, on the highway and more rural roads, they often go more than 120 km/h. So 26 km/h is "seriously endangering the safety" ? Hong Kong is so hypocritical and full of double standards ...

According to the Road Traffic Ordinance (Cap. 374) (the Ordinance), a bicycle means a vehicle with two wheels designed and constructed to be propelled by the use of pedals. Two-wheeled mechanically propelled vehicles (including bicycles equipped with electric motors) are regarded as "motor vehicles" and classified as motor cycles under the Ordinance. All motor vehicles which are to be used on roads must be registered and licensed. In order to be registered and licensed for use on roads, the motor vehicle concerned has to be examined for roadworthiness, i.e. it should be suitable and safe for use on public roads. Motorcyclists must also obtain driving licences for driving motor cycles.

How about a space shuttle license, just to be on the safe side?

Currently, there is no legislation against the import of electric bicycles into Hong Kong. The clearance formalities and requirements of such vehicles are no different from those of general imports. However, electric bicycles to be used on roads of Hong Kong have to be registered with and licensed by TD or else their use would be illegal and offenders are subject to prosecution.

Mind you, this is the same TD (transport department) which is preventing the rear facing seats of the Tesla model S, as well as the web browser - and possibly on the model X, there won't be side cameras but traditional mirrors. Because that's what the law says, one has to have mirrors, and a mirror is a reflective surface which reflects light back - not a 21st century system of electronic capture of light rays, projected on a liquid crystal display!

Bring back the horse carriages and the rickshaws!

Bicycles equipped with electric motors are not normally designed to the same safety and performance standards as conventional motor cycles. They are normally not considered roadworthy and would not be registered and licensed. They are also not suitable for use on cycle tracks with other bicycles due to their speed, weight and different method of control. Therefore, the Government currently has no plan to allow the use of electric bicycles on roads of Hong Kong.

Right, so you think it is safer to be hit by a motorcycle, than a bike with pedal assist? Motor cycle weighing 200+ kg, electric bike less than 50 kg. Motorcycle capable of 200 km/h or more, electric bike capable of 26 km/h. Different method of control? Electric bikes are controlled exactly the same way as other bikes - you pedal, you move forward, you steer, bike turns, you brake, bike stops. But with 30+ C (85F+) and near 100% relative humidity, who would consider using a bike for commuting, if there is no pedal assist?

Legco politicians with private chauffeurs can care less, but how about the general public Joe and Jane, who cannot afford a car in Hong Kong?

I was trying to find the place where it says you can get a fine in Hong Kong, for driving an electric-assist bike:

... liable in the case of a first conviction for that offence to a fine of $5000 and to imprisonment for 3 months, and in the case of a second or subsequent conviction for that offence to a fine of $10000 and to imprisonment for 6 months

(5,000 HKD is around 650 USD)

We are not talking about shooting someone, or dealing drugs - we are talking about driving an electrically assisted bike, which is legal in most countries except a few (like Hong Kong and North Korea possibly)

When going through the very lengthy CAP_374_e_b5.pdf - I also found that children under the age of 11 years old are not allowed to ride a bike, unless accompanied by an adult (!). Searching for the term imprisonment in said document, turns up 41 hits!

I also found that only bicycles, tricycles and multi cycles are mentioned - so it would be OK to have an electric mono-bike it seems ...

See also http://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_services/frequently_asked_questions/driver_licensing/#b12

Last edited: