Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: DC Quick Charge vs Supercharge

  1. #1
    Member dbullard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    Posts
    112

    DC Quick Charge vs Supercharge

    I'm a newbie here, and I've been researching EVs on the web. I see Level 1, Level 2, and DC Quick Charge. Level 1 and 2 are pretty self-explanatory, but I was curious on DC Quick Charge and Tesla's Supercharger - they sound like like very similar ideas.

    My question is, is it possible to use a DC Quick Charge station with a Tesla S? Or are they so different it's not possible?


    Thanks,


    Doug

  2. #2
    Senior Member Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    3,818
    Quote Originally Posted by dbullard View Post
    I'm a newbie here, and I've been researching EVs on the web. I see Level 1, Level 2, and DC Quick Charge. Level 1 and 2 are pretty self-explanatory, but I was curious on DC Quick Charge and Tesla's Supercharger - they sound like like very similar ideas.

    My question is, is it possible to use a DC Quick Charge station with a Tesla S? Or are they so different it's not possible?


    Thanks,


    Doug
    Tesla has indicated that they will be able to provide an adapter to charge from any format including DC Quick Charge station, Mennekes, Chademo etc.
    SP-2823(sold), Tesla/Rav4EV, P+17252, XP-12

  3. #3
    mod squad TEG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    15,546
    The level 2 stuff (e.g., 240V@~16 - 70A) tends to use a standard signalling method between the charging station and the charger in the car. So, for instance, the J1772 adapter that Tesla provides for Model S (or Roadster) to connect to public J1772 charging stations is just a physical pin to pin mechanical adapter so that the two can plug together.

    DC "fast-charging" (or "quick-charging") isn't as simple. We know, at a minimum, that Tesla uses a different signalling method for the Model S to talk to the offboard charging equipment in their Supercharger. There will probably need to be some little "translation computer" in the adapter to go from something like Model S charge port to a CHAdeMO DC quick charger (like the Nissan LEAF uses.) I suspect that adapters for Model S to use a non-Tesla quick-charger will be quite a bit bigger and more expensive than their simple Level 2 J1772 adapter.

    Tesla mentions that their Model S will use SuperChargers up to 90kW. Nissan LEAF CHAdeMO chargers are typically 50kW or less.
    So, another difference is that Tesla's supercharger will offer slightly faster charging possibility that some of the alternatives.

    But, at the end of the day, the Supercharger is "just another offboard DC charging system", so in that way it is similar to other DC quick chargers that have CHAdeMO or SAE combo plugs on them.

    It is yet to be seen how the industry works out compatibility between systems. Will someone build a multi-charger with different plug types to suit different vehicles? Will Tesla build an adapter for Model S to use a CHAdeMO charger? Will someone build an adapter so a LEAF can charge at a Tesla supercharger? Plenty of unanswered questions here.
    Moderator - Roadster, and Future Cars forums

  4. #4
    Member roblab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Angwin (Napa Valley) CA
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by TEG View Post
    Will someone build an adapter so a LEAF can charge at a Tesla supercharger? Plenty of unanswered questions here.
    Which asks the question, who will be responsible for the Leaf's batteries' short life if charged too fast, too hot? Does the adapter tell the supercharger to slow down because you only have 24 kW of batteries here instead of 85? Does the adapter maker pay for new battery packs on Leafs? Do fires start? Plenty of unanswered (and unasked) questions here.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by roblab View Post
    Which asks the question, who will be responsible for the Leaf's batteries' short life if charged too fast, too hot? Does the adapter tell the supercharger to slow down because you only have 24 kW of batteries here instead of 85? Does the adapter maker pay for new battery packs on Leafs? Do fires start? Plenty of unanswered (and unasked) questions here.
    The car has to communicate to the charger what the appropriate amps and volts are for charging its battery. Anything else would be crazy.

  6. #6
    P2607 Odenator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    282
    Which begs another question, will Tesla allow another entity to have usage rights to their proprietary charging network? If I'm Elon, do I want Volts and Leafs charging at Tesla supercharger stations and possibly block Roadster or Model S drivers? Yes it would be helpful for all EV drivers to have access to all available EVSE's but would the people at Tesla feel that Nissan and GM were parasitically taking the investment Tesla made for their customers? Hmm...
    P85 / Pearl White / Pano Roof / Twin Chargers / 21" Dark Grey Wheels / Carbon Fiber Black Interior / Carbon Fiber CCI / Escort 9500ci / Laser Interceptor / Blackvue DR550GW / Curb-Alert

  7. #7
    Finally bought a Model S!
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Harrison Ohio
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by Odenator View Post
    Which begs another question, will Tesla allow another entity to have usage rights to their proprietary charging network? If I'm Elon, do I want Volts and Leafs charging at Tesla supercharger stations and possibly block Roadster or Model S drivers? Yes it would be helpful for all EV drivers to have access to all available EVSE's but would the people at Tesla feel that Nissan and GM were parasitically taking the investment Tesla made for their customers? Hmm...
    Unless someone offers a Tesla to J1772 adapter, they will not be using the level 2 chargers, and the Superchargers will be of no use to them at all. I have no problem letting leafs charge at Tesla charging stations, as long as Nissan dealers let Model S's charge at their chargers. All of us EV'ers are in this together, and there are not enough chargers out there to not share.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Posts
    159
    They could just put some J1772 stations at the SuperCharger spots. Perhaps charge a small fee (vs free for Tesla owners) to recoup the cost.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    37
    Anybody have an update on plans for a chademo adapter for the S? Just 'we're working on it', or is there more?

    Sorry if that discussion is actively going on in another thread right now--haven't found anything recent in a while...

  10. #10
    S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,057
    Quote Originally Posted by HawaNY View Post
    Anybody have an update on plans for a chademo adapter for the S? Just 'we're working on it', or is there more?

    Sorry if that discussion is actively going on in another thread right now--haven't found anything recent in a while...
    Thread is here.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2012-10-12, 02:03 AM
  2. Supercharge from S to S?
    By 4sevens.com in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2012-09-14, 10:44 PM
  3. Quick Charge Scenarios Near Seattle (or Why I need QC with a 160 miler)
    By EVNow in forum Model S: Battery & Charging
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 2011-12-24, 12:19 PM
  4. 45 Minute quick charge?
    By TEG in forum Model S: Battery & Charging
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: 2011-11-14, 02:10 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2011-05-01, 03:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •