Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk impact

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

malcolm

Nov 12, 2006
Looking ahead to owners using their Model S's for the usual daily activities, the single most arresting feature of the car won't be the lack of exhaust pipe or noise but the use of the frunk. A lot of other drivers are going to stop and stare at the bizarre sight of Tesla owners loading groceries and what-have-you into the "engine bay".

If you see someone staring at you when you do this, just give them a smile and say "Mr Fusion" by way of explanation.

If you see someone staring at you when you do this, just give them a smile and say "Mr Fusion" by way of explanation.

That car also had a funk.

dmc_21.jpg

Looking ahead to owners using their Model S's for the usual daily activities, the single most arresting feature of the car won't be the lack of exhaust pipe or noise but the use of the frunk. A lot of other drivers are going to stop and stare at the bizarre sight of Tesla owners loading groceries and what-have-you into the "engine bay".

I get strange looks when I pop my "hood" to throw shopping bags (or dog food) in. A woman in the parking lot even stopped on her way out to ask what the heck I was doing, with a boatload of S's on the road, and I presume many more of them used for shopping runs than my car, we should get lots of stories.

When I envision showing people my S, I always think the "grand finale" will be asking them if they want to see the engine, popping open the frunk, and (gasp!), there's no engine!

Unlike some sports cars that have rear engines (my Dad's old VW bug had the same), I assume the S is the first four door sedan without a front engine (or any engine, obviously), and with the hatch in the back, it will I think be a really startling thing for people who don't follow Tesla or EVs at all to see no engine anywhere.

Unlike some sports cars that have rear engines (my Dad's old VW bug had the same), I assume the S is the first four door sedan without a front engine (or any engine, obviously), and with the hatch in the back, it will I think be a really startling thing for people who don't follow Tesla or EVs at all to see no engine anywhere.

That gives me the idea of a fake "Bugatti Veyron W16 rear engine" parcel shelf! Anyone care to craft one?

Rather a fake Mr. Fusion. Could work as shown in the film, with a real trash container hidden underneath.

Imagine the look on the faces of bystanders or fellow-shoppers at your local store when you tell them you have to refuel and then pop in some banana peel and half-empty beer can, then drive away ;-)

That would be awesome. You could make a functioning one too since there is room in the frunk to collect the shredded items.

Just wished the Tech Package included a powered frunk as well. Could definitely use that with bags of groceries under both arms.

Yeah! Exactly what I was thinking as well.

At the PA event, one of the reps manually lowered the frunk lid all the way and gently pressed it in rather than slamming it shut. He was saying that it was more advisable to do that to preserve the locking mechanism. So, no, I don't think the frunk is recommended for daily, heavy use.

I wouldn't use the frunk for groceries. My assumption is that the frunk won't be getting any of the A/C, so when it's hot out anything you put in there would melt. It's probably only good for luggage on long trips or valuables (computers etc.) that you don't want people to be able to see in the rear (and that's assuming you can't use the parcel shelf).

Really, I think the best idea so far has been Mr. Fusion. I would pay for a mockup of one just to put in there and use!