Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official word from Tesla (GeorgeB) on the vanity mirror light and rear reading lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
I started a new thread since there were part of multiple threads about people reconsidering their reservations due to these two issues

They are both going to be added back to the car (for the early people who get their cars delivered without them). The rear reading lights will be no cost and it sounds like the vanity mirror will be free as well.
Link to original post below
Interior lighting - Changes on Specs web page

Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks to everyone throughout this thread who had faith in us that we were doing the right thing. Your support is always greatly appreciated.

So, what’s going on… This thread started as the result of a change to our website specs page and a response from one of the Tesla Team about rear seat reading lights and the desire to increase visibility for tall customers. The following highlights exactly what we’ve been working on.

The beta Lighted Vanity Visor that first showed up in Model S was not acceptable to us from an appearance, function or size standpoint. So we rejected it and immediately started working on another version. In the meantime, we started delivering cars. We did not want to be delivering cars without Lighted Vanity Visors when our webpage specs said otherwise…so we changed the specs page to be more accurate at that moment in time.

The removal of 2nd Row Reading lights from the specs page is also an “accuracy of the moment” issue. We removed these from the specs page because we were working on another initiative that might impact what type of light we could use in the back seat for a reading light. Basically, we found a way to potentially add a few millimeters of additional headroom in the back seat. As part of that initiative, we didn’t know for sure if we would be able to use the same light fixture, or even the same type of reading light going forward…so we deleted it from the specs page to be more accurate at the time.

Both of these issues are temporary issues, and for those of you who have been following us for a while, you know how we operate. When something doesn’t meet our expectations, we dive right in to fix it. We work hard to find the best solution possible, then we implement it. We try to keep all information as up to date as possible, but in today’s world, that sometimes causes problems from a communication standpoint. Nevertheless, we always feel as though it is better to be as accurate and up to date as possible, even if it makes things a little tougher for us from time to time.

You will soon see another change to our specs page. You will see the addition of 2nd Row Reading Lights. We have been able to accomplish what we set out to do with the rear seat headroom, and will be able provide reading lights in the same place as originally planned. We focused first on the headroom adjustment because that is more complicated within the car itself, then we focused on the lights and placement. To avoid any further questions about what will happen next, let me be perfectly clear... there will be a few early cars delivered that do not have 2nd Row Reading Lights. However, we will be happy to install them in the future (at no charge of course). The wires are already in place so this is not a major event.

You will not see the Lighted Vanity Visor back on the specs page for a little while longer because we are still working on getting the form factor and functionality exactly the way we want it. It will be lighted, it will have a mirror, and it can easily be retrofit into all cars. In fact, we will be encouraging everyone to get the retrofit.

So just to be clear, all cars that get delivered are set up to have reading lights in 2nd row seats and Lighted Vanity Visors. Those that don’t have the latest and greatest when they receive their car can have these items retrofit at no additional cost.

I hope this helps clear up all questions regarding this issue. Please understand, we are very, very serious about everything that goes into Model S. We are doing all we can to make every millimeter count while still listening to what our customers and future customers want. We are going to have lights in the right places, a shelf that was asked for by customers in the console area, and a lighted visor mirror that you can look into and smile. And when all is said and done, that is what we are really striving for…you smiling.

GeorgeB

Great news!

Last edited:
Here's the whole post:

Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks to everyone throughout this thread who had faith in us that we were doing the right thing. Your support is always greatly appreciated.

So, what’s going on… This thread started as the result of a change to our website specs page and a response from one of the Tesla Team about rear seat reading lights and the desire to increase visibility for tall customers. The following highlights exactly what we’ve been working on.

The beta Lighted Vanity Visor that first showed up in Model S was not acceptable to us from an appearance, function or size standpoint. So we rejected it and immediately started working on another version. In the meantime, we started delivering cars. We did not want to be delivering cars without Lighted Vanity Visors when our webpage specs said otherwise…so we changed the specs page to be more accurate at that moment in time.

The removal of 2nd Row Reading lights from the specs page is also an “accuracy of the moment” issue. We removed these from the specs page because we were working on another initiative that might impact what type of light we could use in the back seat for a reading light. Basically, we found a way to potentially add a few millimeters of additional headroom in the back seat. As part of that initiative, we didn’t know for sure if we would be able to use the same light fixture, or even the same type of reading light going forward…so we deleted it from the specs page to be more accurate at the time.

Both of these issues are temporary issues, and for those of you who have been following us for a while, you know how we operate. When something doesn’t meet our expectations, we dive right in to fix it. We work hard to find the best solution possible, then we implement it. We try to keep all information as up to date as possible, but in today’s world, that sometimes causes problems from a communication standpoint. Nevertheless, we always feel as though it is better to be as accurate and up to date as possible, even if it makes things a little tougher for us from time to time.

You will soon see another change to our specs page. You will see the addition of 2nd Row Reading Lights. We have been able to accomplish what we set out to do with the rear seat headroom, and will be able provide reading lights in the same place as originally planned. We focused first on the headroom adjustment because that is more complicated within the car itself, then we focused on the lights and placement. To avoid any further questions about what will happen next, let me be perfectly clear... there will be a few early cars delivered that do not have 2nd Row Reading Lights. However, we will be happy to install them in the future (at no charge of course). The wires are already in place so this is not a major event.

You will not see the Lighted Vanity Visor back on the specs page for a little while longer because we are still working on getting the form factor and functionality exactly the way we want it. It will be lighted, it will have a mirror, and it can easily be retrofit into all cars. In fact, we will be encouraging everyone to get the retrofit.

So just to be clear, all cars that get delivered are set up to have reading lights in 2nd row seats and Lighted Vanity Visors. Those that don’t have the latest and greatest when they receive their car can have these items retrofit at no additional cost.

I hope this helps clear up all questions regarding this issue. Please understand, we are very, very serious about everything that goes into Model S. We are doing all we can to make every millimeter count while still listening to what our customers and future customers want. We are going to have lights in the right places, a shelf that was asked for by customers in the console area, and a lighted visor mirror that you can look into and smile. And when all is said and done, that is what we are really striving for…you smiling.

GeorgeB

Now hopefully they start delivering cars so people have real issues to discuss.

FANTASTIC! That's the communication I would expect from a company looking to win customers.

EDIT: Can we get an updated OP in the 'Interior Lights" thread showing that this has been resolved? I know it's near the last page but newcomers may read the first page and move on.

I am so relieved that we have an official answer.

We (the TMC membership 'we') have consistently responded to bits of information by assuming the worst. A number of people on the forum have attempted to turn the tide, saying 'hey, give it a chance'. But instead, things evolve from rumor to fact and then people up in arms talking about cancelling reservations. So fear not. Your significant others are going to be able to apply makeup (though honestly, don't you want to be able to accelerate - applying makeup means you're all going to have to drive like little old men - is that really what you want?). You will be able to find your groceries in the backseat from that you didn't put in the frunk and that the overhead light doesn't illuminate.

Yeah, those cars need to get delivered so people can focus on reporting back on the joy, the utter and complete JOY of driving electric. Especially a car where every time, every single frickin' time, when you press the accelerator, the hand of God swoops down and gives you an extra boost.

George: Now *THAT'S* what I'm talking about! Good news that the vanity mirror light/reading lights are back, but I'm much more excited to see the lines of conversation open again. Keep it up and Tesla will set itself far apart from "the other guys"!

We (the TMC membership 'we') have consistently responded to bits of information by assuming the worst.

Yeah, those cars need to get delivered so people can focus on reporting back on the joy, the utter and complete JOY of driving electric. Especially a car where every time, every single frickin' time, when you press the accelerator, the hand of God swoops down and gives you an extra boost.
Ok, so it's been a few minutes. Time to start a new rumor.

I heard Bonnie is offering JOY drives in her Roadster when she visits Seattle.

Edit: Hm. Tesla might want to pick up that term. "Amped isn't for test drives; it's for joy drives."

Add me to this list ...

As I converted to the Performance Model at the Miami event ... I want as much feedback from the factory as possible. It's one of those things that has set Tesla above the other auto makers.

George: KEEP YOUR WEEKLY BLOG GOING!!!! Even if it's to say nothing at all has changed, we appreciate the "personal" attention.

Ok, so it's been a few minutes. Time to start a new rumor.

I heard Bonnie is offering JOY drives in her Roadster when she visits Seattle.

Edit: Hm. Tesla might want to pick up that term. "Amped isn't for test drives; it's for joy drives."

I fully intend to contact both the Portland and Seattle reservation holders. To meet over coffee. For RIDES. :)

Great to see a response from Tesla that shows awareness of issues, the process of resolving said issues, and where that may leave any given vehicle that was being built at the time a change was being made. :biggrin:

As others have stated, keeping the blog entries coming at a semi-regular pace (once every week or two) would do much to dispel those feelings of being left in the dark. Even if the blog entry doesn't say much more than "Had a great lunch while talking to the engineers about the 'eject' button." :scared:

For bonus points, a weekly "ping" email to those who are currently seeing words similar to "The Tesla Factory is building your Model S Signature Performance" on their My Tesla page would be awesometacular, and wouldn't need to have much more than some random picture of a robot/human working on a partially assembled vehicle to keep us distracted enough to stop nit-picking about issues that are likely already fully under control. :cool:

Someone with a Roadster in Portland is renting it via a new carshare program called Getaround---$50 p/hr and if you pickup a flyer you can get $25 off. $25 in a Roadster for an hour sounds pretty good, but then again free Bonnie might be better.