Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cars arriving at Oak Brook in Sept

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got off the phone with a rep at the OB Tesla store. I called inquiring whether they had a production model in the store at this point. (They don't.) I was informed that at some point in September -- uncertain when -- production vehicles will be there for driving.

Sounds good!

(Hopefully I'm not the last to know this on the forum, but I probably am!)

KC,

what's your reservation number? If you care to add it to your profile, you will receive a continuous stream of "wow, that's early" / "tell your wife not to worry, all bugs will be straightened out by then" /etc judgements :biggrin:

KC,

what's your reservation number? If you care to add it to your profile, you will receive a continuous stream of "wow, that's early" / "tell your wife not to worry, all bugs will be straightened out by then" /etc judgements :biggrin:

I'm P#10,048
I'll try adding it to my profile today....

EDIT - It worked!

This is good news. My wife and I have been talking about making a road trip to Chicago in October so she can actually see a Model S in person before we get the email to configure. Test drive cars being available will only help my case (as any of us who have driven a Model S know, once you drive the car, you simply must own one of your own).

I was in the OB store yesterday finalizing interior choices, and they mentioned that the production cars would be arriving soon (seemed to imply within the next couple weeks). Store rep said there would be two: a performance version would be inside the store and a non-performance would be outside for test drives. You will still need to call ahead to setup an appointment for a test drive.

VIN 109 in the Oakbrook Tesla store; arrived this AM. Also, GeorgeB reportedly showing up today or tomorrow to the Oakbrook store.

Hatch gaps are evident in photos, but I did not find them to be worrisome in person. I looked at the gaps along the lines of the frunk; they are present, especially by the nose cone. However, I did not find them to be worrisome either. The paint armor really was obvious from a distance owing to weathering and perhaps overuse; I am referring specifically to discoloration of the armor rather than the interface itself (not sure if this is test drive related). I am not getting this option, so it doesn't mean much to me. I was told this discoloration was less obvious on the darker colors.

I listened to the upgraded sound, and it was very nice. I could not discern whether this was substantially better than my 180 watt system, but it sure sounded great. Audio from my phone did not stream well to the Model S via bluetooth; the bluetooth appeared to be having issues, constantly wanting to pair with my phone and one of the rep's phone. I did learn today that you can drag-n-drop using the screen: You can drag the media icon to one of the two display windows to have it load up. This is done with the other icons as well.

I found the tan leather to be much nicer in person than what the website suggests (which is more like an Army desert tan to me).

I did not find the cup holder compatible with my arm; however, if I had my coffee tumbler in the passenger cup holder, my arm would rest comfortably on the arm rest. The cup holders under the screen were very short and did not look like they would hold any cup on a turn.

I did not struggle to get in the back seat, but my movement was a bit more calculating. Once in the back, it was comfortable. However, my head touched the ceiling. Another 2 inches provided by the sunroof would be of benefit, in my opinion, for tall riders (I am 6 feet tall). My knees were comfortable generally speaking, but they touched the driver's seat when it was all the way back. The leather was really beaten up in the back seat, suggesting that movement in and out may have been challenging for some.

The base white was beautiful. I briefly considered getting white...briefly. I wish I could have stayed longer.

2012-09-05 11.55.30.jpg
2012-09-05 11.54.21.jpg
2012-09-05 11.54.38.jpg
2012-09-05 11.55.06.jpg