Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will The Real Pacific Blue Please Stand Up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read a few posts about how much the Pacific Blue color seems to change under different lighting conditions; dare I say almost chameleon like. Here are some pictures I have gathered from fellow posters showing the range of color. Hopefully these will help those on the proverbial fence about choosing this color. I am only posting side view shots, please feel free to add your own shots.

7518760064_2f851b2caf_k.jpg
_MG_2433.jpg
IMG_0116.jpg
i-m68z6cZ.jpg
i-B5tdpSK.jpg
7518728534_2ee3962dbe_k.jpg
P1000026.jpg
i-tFKh3pD.jpg
i-D5bJZTx.jpg
7518750644_ff2f737853_k.jpg
photo 2.JPG
IMG_0064.JPG
i-jCg7bBN.jpg

P.S. My Bad guys/gals; I inadvertently deleted the attachments. Here are the photos and a few extra.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting these Tommy. I was just searching for photos of Pacific Blue cars here on the forum since I haven't seen this color in person yet. I'm going back and forth between blue and Pearl White as the color I want for my my S - I like both for different reasons, guess I can't go wrong either way. At least I have a few more months before I have to lock in my options...

Do NOT use the samples in the Tesla stores as they are not even close to the color on the cars. The in-store samples are very close to the Roadster Twilight Blue but the actual color is MUCH darker. If you like midnight blue then great, but if you're considering this color make sure you see it in person before choosing it. Hopefully they'll update the store samples soon.

Do NOT use the samples in the Tesla stores as they are not even close to the color on the cars. ... Hopefully they'll update the store samples soon.

You know, I actually believe that the store sample is accurate. We went back to the store after the test drive to look at the samples, and here is what I realized:

The further away you are from it, the darker it looks. The problem with the store sample is that you hold it in your hands, so it is at most arms length away. It is too small to really judge if you are several meters away. Part of the problem here (I think) is that at close range the reflective flakes in the paint are clearly visible, and adds to the lighter appearance. But, at any reasonable distance, you can no longer see the flakes, and the effect disappears. There may also be some light interference effects going on.

The darkness is highly dependent on angle between the sun and the paint surface, and between the paint surface and your eye. If both angles are near normal, it is clearly blue. The more you deviate from normal, the darker it looks. So, for example, if the sun is directly overhead, the roof and frunk look blue, but the doors look black.

That would be great - I am trying to decide between the blue and the green - was able to see (and test drive) the blue when it came to Chicago, but would like to see a series of greens to help make a decision. Thanks!

I actually drove a blue one at the Toronto Get Amped event and quite liked it.

I had been thinking of the Dolphin Grey all along, but am going to have to think hard about that blue. It sure did look nice in the summer sun!

Mike

Was it rainy at the Toronto event? (I thought I saw some damp cars in some photos.) Just wondering how the blue looked if it had gotten wet. Water spots, etc.

I was at Toronto drive on Sunday, cloudy late morning, rainy early afternoon.
I had a hard time telling apart the black and the blue cars from a distance, fairly evident which is which once getting up close.
Not sure how they look under sunny skies as this was my first time seeing either color, but from what we saw, both my wife and I were unimpressed by the blue.

Was it rainy at the Toronto event? (I thought I saw some damp cars in some photos.) Just wondering how the blue looked if it had gotten wet. Water spots, etc.

I was there on Saturday and it was a clear, blue-sky summer day (quite hot, too - impressed by how well the electric a/c worked).

I hear you regarding water spots etc. My current car is black, and looks terrible when anything other than freshly washed (well, not terrible, but you know what I mean).

I really did like the way the blue looked in the sun, all polished up and everything. It looks nothing like the representation on the web site (or the pictures I snapped either, for that matter). Car colors are one of those things you have to see in person on a vehicle, I think.

I've been leaning towards the Dolphin Grey, but unfortunately, they only had Black, Blue and Silver in Toronto. I'm in S. California in a couple of weeks and plan to pop into a couple of Tesla stores if I have the chance.