Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front plate blocks airflow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"I was hassled in my Corvette so I have a front plate on my Roadster. No issues w/ airflow. "

Any blockage to cooling fins *will* affect your airflow. Its how much air you can force thru a given area. If you block 1/3rd you not cooling 1/3rd when you need it. I'm sure if you really heated that engine up you'd see this point. I don't ever cover up cooling plus I flush / clean the fins with every wash. dirt, bugs, dust does cooling no good for a cooling system. When you clean the fins be conscious of the electrical components, they don't like h20. You're only given so many chances with it till you push cooling it over the edge and then its game over.

Last edited:
Any blockage to cooling fins *will* affect your airflow. Its how much air you can force thru a given area. If you block 1/3rd you not cooling 1/3rd when you need it. I'm sure if you really heated that engine up you'd see this point. I don't ever cover up cooling plus I flush / clean the fins with every wash. dirt, bugs, dust does cooling no good for a cooling system. When you clean the fins be conscious of the electrical components, they don't like h20. You're only given so many chances with it till you push cooling it over the edge and then its game over.
Of course it will affect the airflow but my point was that I've never had a moment where the lost airflow affected performance. You're assuming that the car needs every bit of the airflow that the opening provides. I contend that the openings are as much cosmetic as functional. The car may only need half the opening but then the designer thinks an opening that small looks bad and makes it larger. Only the engineers for a particular car could answer that question. Also, I live in a mild-climate area but on the Corvette forum there are tons of people that live in warm states (Texas) report no problems.

Go ahead and tell the cops next time that you can't mount your front plate because the car will overheat....

I'm a rebel, educated and understand that any unnecessary heat to any moving mechanical or powered on electronic component is bad. Especially when powered on and off, the heat swings are the worse. The condenser will have to work harder to keep things cool if the cooling fins can't do their job to their maximum efficiency, especially in hot climates. When I'm driving in 90+ temps for sure I'll prevent it over some bogus law to have a front plate. Cali and many other states have regulations that are pure non-sense and not argued against. Arrest, fine or tax me for not having a front plate, I know my vehicles and components will thank me. Would be happy to educate some petro-driv'n cop about the pleasure and pure performance of a 100% EV. So I take it as an opportunity to educate :)

If you have a few drinks and drive I then don't recommend the front plate removal since you risk being pulled over is higher for something purely non-sense.

Lastly front plates are the lowest priority for the enforcer... ever see the rear mounted hitches with the bike racks fully loaded that completely cover the rear plate. That's even worse of a "violation" since it covers your registration tags and I've not yet seen that type of profile pulled over. I have a fullsize truck with no front plate as well, winch and tow /push bumper up front, when the camper and bicycles are on there is no way if seeing that rear plate also. Had many CHP officers pass by and I've never been hassled the four years I've been all over California, Nevada, Montana, Idaho, or Utah. I also have a toolbox mounted off the front aftermarket bumper that shoots off 3-4 feet ahead of the truck. My Subaru outback and the one before it, no front plate. Ever. Its not enforced is right for Cali and the states I've driven through with no visible plates. However if you're in a police state, like New Jersey, I'd say keep the plate on.

My roadster gets driven over Highway 17 daily on my commute which has multiple CHP officers patrolling it on a regular basis, typically two cops on the road in one direction. Never hassled. A pretty roadster really is at the bottom of their list unless you have a good reason to grab their attention and tick them off.

Last edited:
In MD the police will stop you when they want...... Reason or not. When I first got the car I did not put a front plate on it but was told by two different troopers at the Sports Fit Club that if they saw me on the road they would have to stop me. I was thinking of just drilling a complex pattern of holes in the plate and restore airflow........

What do ya think??

Typically the CHP won't bother to pull you over for not having front plates, but the meter maids won't hesitate to give you a ticket if they see it parked without a front plate on. I have had two already but it's just a nuisance tax ;)

I'm a rebel, educated and understand that any unnecessary heat to any moving mechanical or powered on electronic component is bad. Especially when powered on and off, the heat swings are the worse. The condenser will have to work harder to keep things cool if the cooling fins can't do their job to their maximum efficiency, especially in hot climates. When I'm driving in 90+ temps for sure I'll prevent it over some bogus law to have a front plate. Cali and many other states have regulations that are pure non-sense and not argued against. Arrest, fine or tax me for not having a front plate, I know my vehicles and components will thank me. Would be happy to educate some petro-driv'n cop about the pleasure and pure performance of a 100% EV. So I take it as an opportunity to educate :)

If you have a few drinks and drive I then don't recommend the front plate removal since you risk being pulled over is higher for something purely non-sense.

Lastly front plates are the lowest priority for the enforcer... ever see the rear mounted hitches with the bike racks fully loaded that completely cover the rear plate. That's even worse of a "violation" since it covers your registration tags and I've not yet seen that type of profile pulled over. I have a fullsize truck with no front plate as well, winch and tow /push bumper up front, when the camper and bicycles are on there is no way if seeing that rear plate also. Had many CHP officers pass by and I've never been hassled the four years I've been all over California, Nevada, Montana, Idaho, or Utah. I also have a toolbox mounted off the front aftermarket bumper that shoots off 3-4 feet ahead of the truck. My Subaru outback and the one before it, no front plate. Ever. Its not enforced is right for Cali and the states I've driven through with no visible plates. However if you're in a police state, like New Jersey, I'd say keep the plate on.

My roadster gets driven over Highway 17 daily on my commute which has multiple CHP officers patrolling it on a regular basis, typically two cops on the road in one direction. Never hassled. A pretty roadster really is at the bottom of their list unless you have a good reason to grab their attention and tick them off.

In Texas they either use the lack of a front plate as an excuse to pull you over and look for something else or to give you an extra ticket after they pull you over. Why you can't put a vinyl decal of your plate on the left front bumper is beyond me.

hey dsm,

I don't know if you know. But in Texas, the legislature accidentally omitted the front plate provision...so on a technicality they can't pull you over for the front plate anymore.
No Front License Plate Law in Texas Missing Key Element | Dallas Attorney Blog

Hadn't heard that but thanks for the link. The police are still operating under the assumption that it's valid and would apply the fine anyway which you'd then have to fight. I really don't understand the front plate requirement. Have there ever been any studies that show it improves safety?

Hadn't heard that but thanks for the link. The police are still operating under the assumption that it's valid and would apply the fine anyway which you'd then have to fight. I really don't understand the front plate requirement. Have there ever been any studies that show it improves safety?

I've been looking recently and perhaps 15% to 20% of the cars I see don't have a front plate. My guess is that the kind of car you have and the city in which you reside makes a big difference in whether or not you get hassled.

The only thing I've ever heard is that you see more front plates then rear plates. However, IMHO, they go by so fast that you'd seldom be able to repeat them, at best you'd be able to tell if they were in-state or out-of-state plates, but there are so many styles of in-state plates now even that's doubtful.

My guess, is that front plates make it faster for metermaids to give you a parking ticket (assuming they are walking the beat rather than using a scooter).

I was trying to google it. But I thought a couple years back there was a study in NY that showed that the front plates didn't help police at all with any criminal investigations at all. The conclusion was that it helped with revenue (don't quote me on that).

But I am biased. I hate the front plate law. I remember when the omission in the current law caused a flurry of internet responses. Most cops stated they most likely wouldn't ticket as it would be too much of a hassle but use it as a warning or to examine a suspicious car.

Technically it is only for this year unless someone calls a special session. (not likely to happen.) They also omitted the punishment aspect for not having a plate. (can you say egg on their face.)

They should embrace the decal route while they are at it. (especially for the front plate.)

"here are already two decals in the front window. What more do they need? "

When I lived in Pennsylvania they had and still do require both a "safety" and emissions inspection, even for a Brand New car driven off the Dealer's lot. Go figure, how could a dealer sell a person a car if its not safe nor passes emissions! It never would have been allowed to be manufactured and sell in the US otherwise. The best part is that it is "illegal" to have any stickers on the front window due to "safety concerns". However the law is "allowed" to be hypercritical by placing these two large inspection stickers on the "drivers" side lower rear corner of the windshield.

Many of these laws are purely revenue generation tactics, not safety tactics. Its a business, plain and simple.