Page 51 of 654 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151551 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 6535

Thread: Model S Delivery Update

  1. #501
    Model S R231 EU widodh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Middelburg, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,123
    Quote Originally Posted by andybm3 View Post
    I am SSL #29, just took delivery today of my Model S with vin #26. The car is awesome, the delivery experience was great, took about an hour then I had a factory tour for about an hour and the factory is really humming. Bumped in Elon inspecting finished cars at the end of the production line, this guy is really involved. Overall it was a great experience and can highly recommend factory delivery.
    Congratulations! Wow

    What color did you pick with which options?
    BMW M5 E39 - Kawasaki Z750R - 3-phase power - Not a Roadster owner, but the co-owner of my/our company is

    85kWh - 19" Cyclone grey - Pearl White - Tech Package - PDC - Sunroof - Twin-Chargers - Light package - Nappa Leather

  2. #502
    Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    10,641
    Quote Originally Posted by andybm3 View Post
    I am SSL #29, just took delivery today of my Model S with vin #26. The car is awesome, the delivery experience was great, took about an hour then I had a factory tour for about an hour and the factory is really humming. Bumped in Elon inspecting finished cars at the end of the production line, this guy is really involved. Overall it was a great experience and can highly recommend factory delivery.
    Congrats! You didn't happen to get pictures of the VINs he was inspecting, did you? Have fun.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

  3. #503
    Roadster #1453, Sig #26
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    21
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by widodh View Post
    Congratulations! Wow

    What color did you pick with which options?
    Performance, Pearl White, black interior with CF trim and spoiler, Pano roof and 21" grey wheels

  4. #504
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,587
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by andybm3 View Post
    Performance, Pearl White, black interior with CF trim and spoiler, Pano roof and 21" grey wheels
    Anyone with the same options who has been bypassed? I'd still bet that the problems are with specific options as opposed to regional delivery differences.

    In his interview yesterday Elon said you can't ship a car missing a backseat, which might be just a rhetorical statement, but still points to problems with specific components. In fact he said 1-2% of parts are causing real headaches.

  5. #505
    Senior Member hcsharp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,364
    Quote Originally Posted by andybm3 View Post
    I am SSL #29, just took delivery today of my Model S with vin #26. ... Bumped in Elon inspecting finished cars at the end of the production line, this guy is really involved. ...
    I can't believe Elon is still inspecting cars. Doesn't he have better things to do? He can't train somebody else to do that? They don't need him in upper management at SpaceX or Tesla?

  6. #506
    Just came back from the Santana Row store. The manager confirmed that anyone with a number less than 4000 with air suspension and 60 or 85 battery will definitely ship in 2012.

  7. #507
    Model S S280 VIN 168 kvietor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lithia, FL
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalistOppressor View Post
    Anyone with the same options who has been bypassed? I'd still bet that the problems are with specific options as opposed to regional delivery differences.

    In his interview yesterday Elon said you can't ship a car missing a backseat, which might be just a rhetorical statement, but still points to problems with specific components. In fact he said 1-2% of parts are causing real headaches.
    During an interview, Elon stated that as he inspects the cars, if he finds anything that he considers imperfect, the car goes back into the assembly line at the point of the problem. If enough vehicles are sent back it might explain the high number in reservations scheduled for delivery and why it appears some of the reservations are skipped. Those vehicles may have been sent back into the line for correction.

    Elon also mentioned an example of a headlight that he found 3mm out of algnment (calibrated eyeball?) and when he approached the worker responsible, it was determined that he was using old shimming data. So he says rapid communication is a key issue that need to be addressed and also informed his workers that anything they find that may be in error should be brought up regardless of where his instruction had come from. In other words, see a problem, speak up.

    The interview was posted somewhere here or at TM forum. If I find it, I'll post it.

    In deep with Tesla CEO Elon Musk: Financials, Falcon doors and finding faults in the Model S
    Last edited by kvietor; 09-09-2012 at 05:37 PM.

  8. #508
    Model S - R140
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Weston, Florida, United States
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by dmunjal View Post
    Just came back from the Santana Row store. The manager confirmed that anyone with a number less than 4000 with air suspension and 60 or 85 battery will definitely ship in 2012.
    Very hard to believe.

  9. #509
    Senior Member Grendal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Posts
    1,203
    Quote Originally Posted by hcsharp View Post
    I can't believe Elon is still inspecting cars. Doesn't he have better things to do? He can't train somebody else to do that? They don't need him in upper management at SpaceX or Tesla?
    It's a great management technique. By putting the personal touch on the final product he's directing his employees to focus their efforts there as well. He is, by actions, telling his people to make the cars as if it was his personal car. The man is a natural born leader. It reminds me of the scene in "Patton" where Patton hops off his jeep to direct traffic and stop a bottleneck of his forces.

  10. #510
    4GETOIL SS70, XS4, xR913 dadaleus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Solana Beach, California, United States
    Posts
    804
    Headed south in VIN #70 now after our pickup and tour. Charging at the Salinas Rabobank before heading to San Luis Obispo for the night.

    Elon was there today??? Man so bummed not to meet him.

    Factory was LOADED with S's. And we caught sight of lots more apparently finished cars outside. (saw 20+ outside, maybe many more as was restricted view in distance).

    Delivery was wonderful. Great team taking us through the process. Amazing tour of an amazing factory. (no pics allowed, sorry.) Saw it at the S event when it felt more like a museum. Now it's a humming machine churning out cars (at a measured pace now but you can see what's coming given the large number in production). Lots of people at work on a Saturday afternoon.

    Loving this car... More on that later.

    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347158232.080809.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  49.0 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347158400.265068.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  47.9 KB

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Model S Update: Tesla Factory
    By AnOutsider in forum Model S
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 11-12-2012, 10:57 PM
  2. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 11-14-2011, 09:49 AM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-31-2011, 08:21 AM
  4. Model S March 2011 update
    By Zorba in forum Model S
    Replies: 162
    Last Post: 03-11-2011, 09:43 AM
  5. Small Model S Update
    By Kevin Harney in forum Model S
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-02-2009, 05:44 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •