Page 3 of 734 FirstFirst 12345671353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: Model S Delivery Update

I saw VIN #12 today. Performance black with performance rims and pano roof. It was in the Chicago service center awaiting delivery. The people working there were happy to show it to me and were excited it was there. I wasn't allowed into the car just a perusal of the exterior.

Quote Originally Posted by Grendal View Post
    I saw VIN #12 today. Performance black with performance rims and pano roof. It was in the Chicago service center awaiting delivery. The people working there were happy to show it to me and were excited it was there. I wasn't allowed into the car just a perusal of the exterior.
    How much of the VIN did you see?

Was it F00012, or some other letter in the 6th character from the right?
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761
    This is what I've been told has been happening with the production line and indirectly this would feed into the delivery schedule: The way the initial ramp up has been going is that Tesla is producing a couple of cars and then pausing the line while Elon personally inspects the batch of cars they produced. Then any issues are addressed and the line is tweaked (which might take a day or so, depending on the issue) and then another small batch of cars is produced and poured over for quality. This is a slightly different initial ramp-up in production than initially thought. (much slower at the beginning, but much quicker once all the issues are addressed up front). Doing this will insure higher quality for all the cars as the quality issues are addressed very early in the production run. Once Elon is comfortable with the quality level, the full speed ramp up should progress quite quickly. This matches what he said in the recent investors call. So it does initially delay the very early cars from their initially quoted delivery dates, but it should mean that the fast ramp-up to hit the 5000 car delivery goal should be achievable by year end. So I think the quality of the cars now coming off the line and being delivered to customers at this point is much greater than any of the cars we have seen at the Get Amped events. We will find out very soon now that cars are out in the wild and those numbers will continually increase over time.

I expect that we will see a very fast ramp up after all the Signature cars are delivered. I'm hopeful that the regular production car que will be very pleasantly surprised at how quick the delivery schedule progresses in October, November and December. In other words, the production line can blast out cars at it's maximum rate now if Tesla wanted to, but won't do so until they are very confident of the quality of the cars coming off the line. Give Elon's track record with getting problems solved, I would say that the line will be at full speed sooner than we expect and will be producing many more cars than the 20,000 a year delivery goal implies.
    Last edited by Blurry_Eyed; 2012-08-01 at 08:49 PM.

Kimbal Musk got his model s today
    see twitter
    Last edited by Hache; 2012-08-01 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hache View Post
    Kimbal Musk got its model s today
    see twitter
    QFT: Twitter / kimbal: Just took delivery of my ...

"its"?

Robots are buying cars now? Ruh roh. Who forgot to take out Dyson?

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by brianman View Post
    Robots are buying cars now?
    Isn't that slavery?

Quote Originally Posted by dflye View Post
    Isn't that slavery?
    I suppose so. But I'm not gonna argue with the robots about it. Flesh squishy.

Quote Originally Posted by brianman View Post
    "its"?

Robots are buying cars now? Ruh roh. Who forgot to take out Dyson?
    Sorry, bad english ! That happen frequently when I don't check my english before posting, as usually when posting from my phone ! (I'm french)

@Hache - Heh, no worries. Just lightening the mood a bit.

The only French words I know are food related, and I can't spell them correctly anyway.

Thread Information