Page 2 of 693 FirstFirst 1234561252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: Model S Delivery Update

I see, thanks for the clarification. Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by DrComputer View Post
    Here's a shot of the window sticker.
    That looks real.
    Buying an EV is one thing, being able to drive it beyond city limits another...

I couldn't get the QR code to lead to any specific car. The QR code is scannable, but the fuel economy website states that they could not find a vehicle for that code, so I wonder if it's in development or just a general direction to the fuel economy website.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    MODEL S 85 | BLUE

S60 P12635
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian H View Post
    I still think there's something badly awry with the EPA ratings. 88 city, 90 highway? I don't think so. City mileage is going to be quite a bit higher for any BEV with regen. I think they blew/fudged it.
    The Model S has three problems that contribute to this result:

1. It is very heavy at 2108 kg.
    2. Regen is limited to 60 kW.
    3. Regen is fixed at 0.15 g max and cannot be increased by applying the brake, even when not power limited.

So these three together affect the city rating negatively on the test cycle. If, however, you drive defensively and anticipate stops so that you never use friction brakes above 10 km/h, you will do MUCH better than the city rating.

On the other side of the coin, the low drag coefficient helps the highway cycle which does not include as many stops.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Originally Posted by Brian H
    I still think there's something badly awry with the EPA ratings. 88 city, 90 highway? I don't think so. City mileage is going to be quite a bit higher for any BEV with regen. I think they blew/fudged it.

Quote Originally Posted by J in MN View Post
    The Model S has three problems that contribute to this result:

1. It is very heavy at 2108 kg.
    2. Regen is limited to 60 kW.
    3. Regen is fixed at 0.15 g max and cannot be increased by applying the brake, even when not power limited.
    Stop and go energy use is mostly about how fast you accelerate. Regeneration is better than throwing all the kinetic energy away as heat the way friction brake-only cars do, but regeneration only captures a portion of the kinetic energy. Increasing the regeneration rate is unlikely to increase range because the battery can only take so much charge without degradation.

Ideally you don't want to use either regeneration or friction braking when you slow or stop because then all the kinetic energy (other than bearing, tire, and aerodynamic friction which happen anyway) is used for forward motion. The modern way of driving: roar up to the speed limit, then jam on the brakes at the last minute is extremely inefficient and doesn't get you where you're going any faster.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

The topic starter requested:

Please keep commentary to a minimum. Another option would be for TMC to post a banner on the Model S page with last delivery (why not throw in the finalize data too!)
    This thread is already getting many posts not related to the deliveries that it will probably be snowed under.

Could we please keep this topic to delivery updates only?
    BMW M5 E39 - Kawasaki Z750R - 3-phase power - Not a Roadster owner, but the co-owner of my/our company is

85kWh - 19" Cyclone grey - Pearl White - Tech Package - PDC - Sunroof - Twin-Chargers - Light package - Nappa Leather

So was this car going out for delivery imminently? My understanding was that production was at stand still currently while they iron things out, maybe not a stand still, just a crawl?

Quote Originally Posted by J in MN View Post
    Regen is fixed at 0.15 g max
    What's the source for this? Is it something Tesla said, something you measured in a test drive, or some calculation based on speed, weight, and regen power consumption? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by tander View Post
    So was this car going out for delivery imminently? My understanding was that production was at stand still currently while they iron things out, maybe not a stand still, just a crawl?
    I thought they upped production to 10 per week last week (or was it the week before?)
    2013 Tesla Model S P85: 12.417 @ 111.570 MPH

Performance 85kWh, custom 19" Forgestar c5fv wheels, white/black/CF, pano,sound,tech,twin chargers!

S60 P12635
    Quote Originally Posted by smorgasbord View Post
    What's the source for this?
    Measured. See Get Amped Tour: Chicago, 7/26 - 7/28

Thread Information