Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendation of electrician in Boston area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad to see this thread - much needed.

I had just called Solar City with a mixed experience - on my 'Advice on finalizing your order" thread, there was at least one negative comment on them based on pricing and experience. I have a survey from them, since they are Tesla recommended, and not sure about following through. I call several times to get through.

I may ask for a recommendation on immediate neighborhood list (i'm in metrowest), but not sure if that will be of value - i want someone with specific experience with Tesla and the HPC. If any Roadster owner can make a recommendation i the great Boston area that would be much appreciated.

Also - i understand that the HPC delivery may take awhile from Solar City.

Very helpful to develop this list. Thanks!
Has anyone here used a Tesla HPWC (presumably for Roadster) or know enough to comment on the increased convenience vs. and NEMA 14-50? I can send at least 70A to it so would get some faster charging (at least 42mi/hour charge c/w 31 NEMA 14-50) and plan for Twin Chargers so can also take advantage of that. You know, that extra 11mi/hour of charge looks measly after some reflection. So I am wondering about HPWC ease of use, convenience, appearance, appeal.

70A is 75% more than 40A, so it's considerably faster. I forget the MPH charge rates but if 40A is 31 then 70 should be 54 -- an increase of 23 MPH.
I've not had one at home; I've used them on the road. There's been 1-2 times in the two years I've had the Roadster where I wished I had 70 but it's not really hampered me. Personally if I had a home and my own garage, I'd go for it so it would be dedicated, nicer-looking, gives me the ability to charge faster if I need it, and lets me keep the 40A cord in the car ... Not sure it's worth the expense just for that, though.

I have always found your input helpful, so I trust it is here - think I'm in for the HPWC. That's a new decision. Just saw a pic of Elon standing next to one, and maybe I could also look like a $Billion next to one...? Seems from the charging forum that there are no other good options between 40A NEMA and the HPWC. The only catch is I think I have 70A to the wall from the circuit board, and a NEMA is 50A to the wall from the circuit board. They are then "allowed" to put out to the charger/car 80% of that - 40 for a NEMA 14-50, and 56A from my HPWC, which should therefore give me 43 (43.4)mi/hour charge time. It's exactly 40% faster. If I go for the HPWC it may make sense to try and juice that up to 100A to the wall from the circuit board, for 62mi/hr charge, even if I use it rarely. Or to split later into two 50's...(good advice earlier from Robert.Boston). Thanks for the feedback - your experience in the Roadster is invaluable. FYI I have seen you on the road...AWESOME car. (awesome).

Last edited:
:smile:

I may have glossed over your other posts about your 70A situation -- you sure it's only capable of 70 (e.g. it's not just the breaker rating)? Do you know the gauge & insulation temp rating of the wire?

The other reason I forgot to mention I'd do it is so I could offer a nice charging solution for those in the area seeking it.

Hi Guys,
S1116 checking in.
I will be using:
W.J. Nowicki Inc. Master Electricians.
Walter Nowicki's (proprietor) cell: 617-593-4499 and email: [email protected]
Walter has been doing work for me for about 15 years and really knows his stuff.
I am a Mechanical Engineering and picky by nature:)
Cheers,
Willem

Willem, I met with Walter this past week and he is great. Smart, personable, all good. Thanks much for the tip. I have an unusual situation with my town, whcih provides low-cost juice via a special meter and this may make things a little tricky. Thanks much again for the lead. Any delivery date for you?

Willem, I met with Walter this past week and he is great. Smart, personable, all good. Thanks much for the tip. I have an unusual situation with my town, whcih provides low-cost juice via a special meter and this may make things a little tricky. Thanks much again for the lead. Any delivery date for you?

Great to hear you guys were able to meet up. So far Walter has not disappointed.
Anyway, my delivery date is between Oct 13-27. I am traveling some of that time, so still firming up a date:)
Cheers!

- - - Updated - - -

PS. Alas no HPWC until Nov.

Great to hear you guys were able to meet up. So far Walter has not disappointed.
Anyway, my delivery date is between Oct 13-27. I am traveling some of that time, so still firming up a date:)
Cheers!

- - - Updated - - -

PS. Alas no HPWC until Nov.

I had solar city at the house today. Matt Markum, same guy Robert had I believe? Very nice, moderately knowledgeable - referred a little too often to PowerPoint slide prints tesla had provided. I knew more about tesla, supercharging, the HPWC than him. But he was indeed nice and patient and smart. Will speak with Walter (see above) and decide how to move forward. Walter is sharp. Very like-able. Thanks again.

Happy with Phil Shea - 617 365 7432 is his cell. Let him know I (Ben Goodwin) referred you (regarding installing a plug for charging a Tesla Model S). He's excited to do more of these. Just make sure he understands your situation (I did a temp NEMA 6-50 with 100-amp capable wiring for HPWC; you might not want that).
See my thread for details on my installation: My temp NEMA 6-50 install

Happy with Phil Shea - 617 365 7432 is his cell. Let him know I (Ben Goodwin) referred you (regarding installing a plug for charging a Tesla Model S). He's excited to do more of these. Just make sure he understands your situation (I did a temp NEMA 6-50 with 100-amp capable wiring for HPWC; you might not want that).
See my thread for details on my installation: My temp NEMA 6-50 install

Ben, my install is next week. Why a NEMA 6-50 and not a NEMA 14-50? My plan is to have a 100A capable wiring service a single NEMA 14-50, so later I can either add a second NEMA 14-50 (car two) or add a HPWC and twin charger in the Model S. Comments, please, PM me if it's a little complicated or specific. Much appreciated. I know you know this stuff - I know the Krebs Cycle instead - not helpful here.

- - - Updated - - -

And ShortArc - Walter was great but I have a special situation in town with a town meter/relay that will provide 5.5 cents/kWh off-peak, and having the local guy do it here makes sense. Will certainly bring Walter in for other work in the future.