Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Stores in the North East

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also noticed this in the shareholder letter, but didn't feel any excitement. Whereas "New England" typically describes our states east of NY, the "northeast corridor" refers to the heavily populated I-95 region from Washington DC to Boston. However, at the NY test drive, my wife did coax a little teaser that there may be something north of Massachusetts...somewhere. Stores and galleries are nice, but as a future owner the service centers are more important.

Some older documents suggest that we'll see a store in central NJ (Princeton?), Philadelphia, and Boston, at a minimum. Looking at the reservations map, there's some center-of-mass around Baltimore (but this may be well-served by whatever service center DC gets) and perhaps southwest Connecticut.

However, at the NY test drive, my wife did coax a little teaser that there may be something north of Massachusetts...somewhere.

I am guessing if this is true, it will be something like Manchester, NH which is technically North of Mass. It would follow the same pattern as NYC and Westchester NY locations in terms of hugging the larger population centers over attempting to cover larger geographical catchments areas. But, I guess they are following their reservation clusters, so without a complete set of that data, it's hard to predict ...

It's supposed to be in Natick, MA Tesla showroom to open at Natick Mall - BostonHerald.com
They are getting massive pushback from the Mass Autodealers Association, they feel Tesla is threatening their livelihood.
Auto dealers protest Natick Mall Tesla showroom - Framingham, MA - The MetroWest Daily News

There is already a thread about this issue on TMC, just stating what the plan was.

Mitch

I am aware of the discussion around the Natick/Watertown outlet/service. But hj-45 was suggesting that there might be something north of Mass. As a Vermonter, I find this rumor interesting, but trying not to get my hopes up too much.

From 2nd quarter share holder letter:
http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ABEA-4CW8X0/1516034094x0x585609/25c4efcc-7bbe-4452-a4fd-bbedd31c1c94/Q2%202012%20Shareholder%20Letter%20Final.pdf

"We plan to open about five more stores or galleries this year at strategic locations in North America, several of which will be in the northeast corridor of the United States."

I believe someone (perhaps George B) mentioned the Short Hills Mall in New Jersey as a new location - very upscale mall about 40 minutes from NYC in northern New Jersey.

Last edited:
Tesla ought to be successful in Maine, but it won't get the traction without retail up here. Unlike most of New England, people drive 50-100 miles (one way) routinely to shop, visit, dine, etc. Less wealth here, compared to the rest of New England, but certainly a not inconsiderable number of well-off people who would benefit from a long-distance EV.

Tesla ought to be successful in Maine, but it won't get the traction without retail up here. Unlike most of New England, people drive 50-100 miles (one way) routinely to shop, visit, dine, etc. Less wealth here, compared to the rest of New England, but certainly a not inconsiderable number of well-off people who would benefit from a long-distance EV.

Less wealth except ... in the summer. You lucky dog being able to spend the summer up there. Where abouts in Maine are you? I like the idea of Tesla placing one of its high speed chargers to help New Englanders access popular areas like Acadia from large cities like Boston.

More on topic: I am not so sure how well a store in Maine would do as compared to other areas of New England. I certainly do not expect to see one in VT any time soon. GeorgeB seemed to indicate in the conference call that he was more trying to locate stores where he saw clusters of folks who have already reserved more than trying to push into new frontiers.

Here's an article...Northern New Jersey at the Garden State Plaza in Paramus. A rep at the NYC Tesla store said he thought it would be opening late summer, early fall!

http://www.northjersey.com/news/160512925_Electric_car_company_moving_in.html?c=y&page=1

I have very good reason to believe the store may be located almost next door to the Apple store. The second store over is boarded up for construction and would be about 3,200 square feet in size. I was over at the mall last Friday and looked around this store would also have access to outside areas.

Less wealth except ... in the summer. You lucky dog being able to spend the summer up there. Where abouts in Maine are you? I like the idea of Tesla placing one of its high speed chargers to help New Englanders access popular areas like Acadia from large cities like Boston.

More on topic: I am not so sure how well a store in Maine would do as compared to other areas of New England. I certainly do not expect to see one in VT any time soon. GeorgeB seemed to indicate in the conference call that he was more trying to locate stores where he saw clusters of folks who have already reserved more than trying to push into new frontiers.
I'm in South Bristol, just east of Boothbay Harbor. I'm the one and only pin in Maine on the reservation map (and, yes, the pin is accurately placed). So, I'm forced to conclude that Maine isn't a high-priority place for Tesla to set up a store!

However, at the NY test drive, my wife did coax a little teaser that there may be something north of Massachusetts...somewhere. Stores and galleries are nice, but as a future owner the service centers are more important.

Any other guesses as to where they would locate a store north of massachusetts (presuming this rumor pans out)?

Any other guesses as to where they would locate a store north of massachusetts (presuming this rumor pans out)?

Salem NH (Rockingham Mall)? For those of us on the North Shore, Salem is way closer and easier to get to than Natick. Tax free shopping AND a Tesla Store--what a combination!

Salem NH (Rockingham Mall)? For those of us on the North Shore, Salem is way closer and easier to get to than Natick. Tax free shopping AND a Tesla Store--what a combination!

That's the only place that makes sense to me even though it's fairly close to Natick. Rockingham mall is a major shopping destination for people up to 100 miles away. I'd rather see Concord, NH or the Upper CT River Valley like Lebanon/Hanover NH. A good demographic there - Dartmouth College, largest medical center north of Boston, high tech industry and low unemployment. But no reservations to speak of. So it won't happen. Burlington, VT might be a good place but few reservations there either. Not holding my breath for anything in Vermont for a long time.

But I won't complain... What makes it nice here is also the reason we won't see Tesla for a while!:smile:

Too bad we wouldn't be able to buy a Tesla tax-free in Salem!

FWIW, there are Apple stores in the following locations north of MA:

I'm surprised that Apple hasn't opened in Hanover, but apparently the Dartmouth tech center sells and services Apple products. Apple opened a store to serve Yale (a bigger market) late last year.