Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon Fiber Exterior Accents?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there, I'm new sorry I can't figure out how to use the search in an advanced mode to find what I want, but am looking for pics of the carbon fiber exterior accents on performance model.

I'm getting white performance and it looked like in the delivery video that the windows had a dark trim on them, so I wonder is that carbon fiber? I thought the window trim was always chrome and don't see any mention of that anywhere.

Thanks for the help!

Taylor

Hi there, I'm new sorry I can't figure out how to use the search in an advanced mode to find what I want, but am looking for pics of the carbon fiber exterior accents on performance model.

I'm getting white performance and it looked like in the delivery video that the windows had a dark trim on them, so I wonder is that carbon fiber? I thought the window trim was always chrome and don't see any mention of that anywhere.

Thanks for the help!

Taylor
Greetings Contaygious, and welcome to TMC!

Currently, the only exterior CF accent is the rear trunk spoiler. The other bits were Nose Cone - near the Tesla emblem (never saw the light of production), front chin spoiler (nixed due to signs of significant early wear and tear seen during the Get Amped Tour), and rear lower valence (nixed along with front chin spoiler). The surviving bit is the CF trunk spoiler.

The window surrounds are all chrome.

The window trim is still chrome on the performance cars. The only CF piece left on the exterior is the spoiler on the back. The other parts that were CF are now simple black plastic (matching the standard cars) because of durability issues.

[spatterso911 beat me to it!]

That is total BS! There are ton's of companies that make carbon fiber front splitters that hold up. My buddies Porsche has one and it look's great. I can't believe that the only difference to enhance performance besides the motor and possible battery pack is a small lip on the back of the trunk. Tesla would like us to plunk down money in the neighborhood of an Audi R8 to get a car that look's almost identical to the 50k model. No interior seating differences or leather options or brakes. Come on!:cursing:

Your gonna need to do something a whole lot better for me to put my money down.

If you were just buying a CF Trim package, @Tessier, you'd have lots of room to gripe. But what you'd really be buying is the improved power electronics and all the associated changes in the drivetrain. I'm having trouble understanding how the absence of a few bits of CF trim drives your decision about the powertrain.

If you were just buying a CF Trim package, @Tessier, you'd have lots of room to gripe. But what you'd really be buying is the improved power electronics and all the associated changes in the drivetrain. I'm having trouble understanding how the absence of a few bits of CF trim drives your decision about the powertrain.

Also, my lower splitter on the R8 constantly gets chipped. I had a CF piece there and went back to black plastic.

Lets face it 95% of the time no one is going to be using the advantages of the performance model. It's not like you'll be doing 0-60 sprints at every red light you come to, or ripping every canyon like it's your last. However with that said it's nice to know that when you walk to your car there's something extra special about it. Something rare special and limited that not everyone was able to obtain. Something visually striking that set it apart. I have had several limited number ducat's and its a great feeling to know that you part of special group. To me the model S performance feel in that same category it was something that when you looked at it you would know it was something special, something more than just a tree hugging claim to saving the environment.

I beg to differ; there's some Roadster owners who have been doing just that for a couple of years and more. :biggrin:

I consistently go out of my way to take my favorite freeway on-ramps (there's a righteous one near here that is heavily banked and turns left and then right then a straightaway) and backroads with tight curves. And yes, I've been doing that since February 2011. :)

It's not like you'll be doing 0-60 sprints at every red light you come to...

So, wait, what? Have I been doing it wrong in my Roadster this entire time?!? (Ok, 0-35/45mph sprints more than 0-60, but certainly at every opportunity!)
Maybe I don't use it 95% of the time, but when the chance comes up it is so, so satisfying. I wouldn't discount the MSP performance gains.

(Actually, truthfully, I've saved up so next year I can get all the CF interior parts, where I'll see them and appreciate them a whole lot more, so I think you've got a valid point, just could resist a touch of snark...)

Lets face it 95% of the time no one is going to be using the advantages of the performance model. It's not like you'll be doing 0-60 sprints at every red light you come to, or ripping every canyon like it's your last.

Yeah, ummmm. I'd beg to differ on that too. Besides, the performance is more than just the power. This IS a CF thread. There are more benefits to the interior that aren't available on the production (non-signature) version that you use 24/7/365. :biggrin:

I can't believe that the only difference to enhance performance besides the motor and possible battery pack is a small lip on the back of the trunk. Tesla would like us to plunk down money in the neighborhood of an Audi R8 to get a car that look's almost identical to the 50k model. No interior seating differences or leather options or brakes. Come on!:cursing:

Well, you do get the option of the 21" carbon grey wheels if you get the performance. Those are pretty distinctive.

You've clearly never met my wife. When she drives the Roadster she uses the same amount of energy on an 18-mile round trip to work as I do on my 50-mile commute. She will be using her MSP's power much of the time.

You've obviously never met my mother. 83 years young. Loves to get her hands on my Roadster. A true lead-foot. She's drooling for a perf model.

I can't believe that the only difference to enhance performance besides the motor and possible battery pack is a small lip on the back of the trunk.

I was at the local Tesla store today, and we got to talking about the P85 badge that VIN #1 has - and apparently only that one car will have. The Model S idea is that performance is all about go, not so much show. Whether it's an Elon thing or a corporate philosophy thing I'm not sure, but they thought that the trunk lip being deletable and being able to choose the silver wheels was all part of enabling customers to configure their car such that it's not obvious what the car has.

I was at the local Tesla store today, and we got to talking about the P85 badge that VIN #1 has - and apparently only that one car will have. The Model S idea is that performance is all about go, not so much show. Whether it's an Elon thing or a corporate philosophy thing I'm not sure, but they thought that the trunk lip being deletable and being able to choose the silver wheels was all part of enabling customers to configure their car such that it's not obvious what the car has.

Makes sense. It's like an audi rs4. You wouldn't think twice, but it's the same speed as a performance s. I like the spoiler and interior so that's probably enough for me, but a few more cf accents wouldn't hurt e.g. Cf mirrors.