Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy the panoramic roof without a sunshade?

Would you buy the panoramic roof without a sunshade?

• Yes, I prefer a less obtrusive, more aesthetic roof bar instead.

Votes: 96 77.4%
  • No, I would not buy the panoramic roof witout a sunshade.

Votes: 28 22.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently the panoramic roof was originally designed without a sunshade and the sunshade was added after feedback from the forums last year. Now that people in the test drives have seen how effectively the panoramic roof blocks both heat, light, and by extrapolation UV, it may be that the enthusiasm for the sunshade has waned, particularly since the roof bar which will accept the retrofitted shade is not getting good reviews. Would people now prefer dropping the sunshade if it would make the roof bar less obtrusive, more aesthetic and easier to blend its fit and finish? I'm interested in current forum feedback on this, maybe Tesla would be too. (I understand there is possible legal concern over UV exposure without a sunshade but the other glass in the car likely transmits even more UV so it really should not be an issue.)

Yes, after being in the Model S this weekend, there's no need for it. The glass is plenty dark.

I totally concur, cinergi. I'm sensitive to light, and never liked the simple sun-roof in other cars. But on the test drive day, I hardly noticed it in the Model S. I felt more light and heat pouring in the SIDE windows, and felt like putting a shade up there a couple times... and the sun was directly overhead (11:00 am daylight savings time). I'm totally sold... please don't put a sunshade in my Model S.

The premise - that the big bar is there in the middle to eventually house sunshades - is possibly flawed. Some of us were told at recent test drive events that the bar has to do with structural strength / crash safety rating rather than anything functional (i.e. sunshades).

That said, if I could squeeze the pano roof into my budget and if Tesla does something neat with that bar (cover it up with headliner material or some such), yes, I'll take the pano roof without sunshades; would work fine for my neck of the woods.

Apparently the panoramic roof was originally designed without a sunshade and the sunshade was added after feedback from the forums last year. Now that people in the test drives have seen how effectively the panoramic roof blocks both heat, light, and by extrapolation UV, it may be that the enthusiasm for the sunshade has waned, particularly since the roof bar which will accept the retrofitted shade is not getting good reviews. Would people now prefer dropping the sunshade if it would make the roof bar less obtrusive, more aesthetic and easier to blend its fit and finish? I'm interested in current forum feedback on this, maybe Tesla would be too. (I understand there is possible legal concern over UV exposure without a sunshade but the other glass in the car likely transmits even more UV so it really should not be an issue.)

You guys obviously don't live in Texas. Here, we have what's known as "dashboard cookies": you put cookie dough on the dashboard...and they really cook.

The summers are unbearably hot...so much so that I can't get my favorite color, black, due to the heat. Add the Texas sun to the drive without a sunshade, and I probably wouldn't get the car (though I'd lose $10k since I've already signed the paperwork). There are several things that I dislike about the car. Add the lack of a sunshade and I'll wait until the kinks are ironed out.

You guys obviously don't live in Texas. Here, we have what's known as "dashboard cookies": you put cookie dough on the dashboard...and they really cook.

The summers are unbearably hot...so much so that I can't get my favorite color, black, due to the heat. Add the Texas sun to the drive without a sunshade, and I probably wouldn't get the car (though I'd lose $10k since I've already signed the paperwork). There are several things that I dislike about the car. Add the lack of a sunshade and I'll wait until the kinks are ironed out.
I'll be interested in your reaction, @pguerra, after the Amped Up test drives in Texas. I hope you'll have bright, hot weather to test the pano w/o sunshade.

I live in Virginia. It gets plenty hot here (into the hundreds) and it's very humid. After experiencing the pano at the test drives, sunshade is not needed.

Pguerra, two things: a black exterior does not make the interior hotter (several studies show this). Also, I've lived in the hot, dry western area of Oklahoma where it easily gets as hot as Texas, and would have no qualms about the pano without sunroof or a black exterior.

Depends on the options... I like that the pano roof is dark, but it still doesn't block all of the heat.

If the cross bar is mandatory and the sunshade invisible when open (thus adding nothing visible or detracting from headroom space) then I'd like the sunshade. If choosing not to have a sunshade takes some of the thick crossbar away so that it is more visually pleasing, then I would prefer no sunshade.

As others have mentioned, I'm not sure doing away with the sunshade would give us the full "yes" option as listed in the poll.

I've lived in DC and Florida, and for me the issue with the sunshade is not related to heat as much as it is to bright sunlight. They don't call Florida the Sunshine state for nothing. It can get hot as hell in many places, much hotter than Florida (which rarely gets above 90F), but I've not been in many places where the sun is brighter than on a clear day in Florida. The dog days of summer are often hazy days, but I worry more about the dead of winter when our sunshine is brightest.

I've lived in DC and Florida, and for me the issue with the sunshade is not related to heat as much as it is to bright sunlight. They don't call Florida the Sunshine state for nothing. It can get hot as hell in many places, much hotter than Florida (which rarely gets above 90F), but I've not been in many places where the sun is brighter than on a clear day in Florida. The dog days of summer are often hazy days, but I worry more about the dead of winter when our sunshine is brightest.
Arnold, have you driven in a car with the panoramic roof? It blocks nearly all the light, Telsa says 98%. I live in Hawaii and was planning on getting the hard top because I did not want the bright sun coming in the pano roof. After my test drive where the sun was nearly directly overhead in a crystal clear sky my opinion of the pano roof changed completely. It does a remarkable job of diffusing nearly all the brightness yet still providing an open, airy feel. The sunlight is very muted and soft.

I'm convinced the interior of the car will get hot for reasons OTHER than the pano roof without a shade -- the windshield, side windows, and simple heat transference through the metal. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it's cooler because the glass won't trap the heat inside the car as well as a "carpet"-lined piece of metal sitting directly in the sun. Obviously test it out, but definitely don't rule it out on what seems like the obvious.

What if they made the sunshade like the Mesh Top that some use for the Roadster?

This gives options:
1. Both closed for max light blocking
2. Both open for max exposure.
3. Sunshade open, glass closed for some light some visual connection to the outside
4. Sunshade closed, glass open for ventilation and an open feel with some blocking of the direct sun on the head

Best of all worlds?

I'm convinced the interior of the car will get hot for reasons OTHER than the pano roof without a shade -- the windshield, side windows, and simple heat transference through the metal.

I know some people don't like it, but: +1. This. :biggrin:

The pano roof and full direct sunlight is a non-issue. Radiation coming in through the windshield, rear window, and side windows is going to dwarf that coming in through the pano roof.

The discussion on sun exposure isn't all that important either. Arizona, Texas, Florida, Virginia, and California are at latitudes that are similar enough that the amount of sun exposure is similar. They all have clear days with 100% sun exposure...there isn't a big difference there.

I'll be interested in your reaction, @pguerra, after the Amped Up test drives in Texas. I hope you'll have bright, hot weather to test the pano w/o sunshade.

Hi Robert,

I really don't think an 8 minute test drive is going to be conclusive. Besides when pguerra gets in the car and drives it, he'll be so focused on the fantastic performance he won't even know whether it has a panoramic roof or not. :wink:

Earlier I was 50-50 on getting the panoramic roof becaused it lacked a shade. Adding the shade made up my mind for me to get it. Like others I am still concerned about aethetics. A good deal of these discussions are based on the assumption of poor aethetics, but I have yet to see even a photo of the final shade. A black bar even without a shade is not going to be pretty.

What I would like to see Tesla do is provide the option of installing the shade or handing it to the owner during delivery with the option of paying extra to have it installed at a later date if it is found that it is needed.

Larry

Arnold, have you driven in a car with the panoramic roof? It blocks nearly all the light, Telsa says 98%. I live in Hawaii and was planning on getting the hard top because I did not want the bright sun coming in the pano roof. After my test drive where the sun was nearly directly overhead in a crystal clear sky my opinion of the pano roof changed completely. It does a remarkable job of diffusing nearly all the brightness yet still providing an open, airy feel. The sunlight is very muted and soft.

I haven't. I rented some type of Ford when I was recently in Toronto that had a sunroof that did a really good job of blocking a pretty bright sun. For me, the issue is that there just may be days I (or my significant other, or kids) just don't want the sun shining on us, especially when it's directly overhead. I'm sure you're right, and I'm hoping to drive most of the time, or as often as I can, with the shade retracted, but without a significant amount of time in the car I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a car with the sunroof with a shade. I see that I'm in the minority on this, and maybe I'll feel differently after this weekend.

I still think people are too focused on heat v. light. I am sure it blocks most of the heat -- my concern has always been the brightness of a very sunny day.

I don't expect that will be a problem:smile:

Unfortunately, I screwed myself out of the Get Amped drives:cursing: I'm kind of bummed about it but I'm sure I'll get a chance long before my car is delivered.