Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How should we be talking to the public about electric driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

evchels

Aug 26, 2010
Hi all,

I’ve been helping the Edison Electric Institute (EEI -an association representing the shareholder-owned electric utilities in the US), plan a campaign to generate consumer interest about the benefits of plug-in vehicles and using electricity as a transportation fuel.

Specifically, the project aims to capture and convey the real-world, emotionally-connected experiences of driving on electricity- the fun, cool, convenient aspects more than the purely pragmatic "why you should" arguments. It is incredibly community-focused, recognizing that the current users and enthusiasts are the “experts” both on the vehicles and in talking to other people about them. This campaign aims to amplify those efforts and provide additional support in getting the best messages out more broadly and – to the extent needed – creating tools for all of us to more easily talk to neighbors, friends, and the random curious folks we find lurking around our cars in parking lots. :smile:

Therefore, I’m hoping you’ll join me in helping to make this project all it can be by sharing your experiences via this survey. You don't have to have a plug-in vehicle to participate, just articulate why you're excited by the idea of electric driving. This is merely the first step in an ongoing engagement with the enthusiast community, but it will help establish the earliest priorities.

Bring your passion, and let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you,

chelsea

Hi Chelsea,

Ever since belatedly watching "Who Killed the Electric Car" you have become a hero of mine! Thanks for continuing your advocacy.

I think this is a great and well-considered project. I often tell people that until you have owned an EV for at least a few months, you do not really discover all the subtle pleasures and benefits of letting go of the ICE. Here are a few of my own perceptions:

1) Feeling relaxed when stuck in traffic (no noise, vibration, etc.)
2) Realizing there are no noxious smells around you in the car.
3) Living on an island, we use ferries a lot. It is great to be able to keep the car "on" and warm in the winter.
4) Learning to pace road trips for charging can actually make them much more enjoyable. Taking breaks to walk, explore, read, catch up on email several times during the day means one arrives refreshed and not so stressed.
5) The feeling of pioneering a new way of life is really exciting. How many times in a lifetime do we get to do that?!

These are, of course, in addition to all the more obvious are well-documented benefits of electric drive itself-- smooth power delivery, instant torque, regen braking, low maintenance, instantaneous and highly sensitive traction control, etc., etc.

And all of that is on top of, let's see, helping save the planet!

All the best,

Vincent

I for one say start with a history lesson on EVs, then talk about the importantance of why we should be looking at EVs as the wave the future, then talk about the need to grow a national charging infrastructure and how it would benefit the EV industry and finally show the number of EV choices that are available today and how we can get on a path of energy independence as the number of EVs increase. I hope my input adds to the overall discussion and the idea of teaching about EVs.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Hi all,

I’ve been helping the Edison Electric Institute (EEI -an association representing the shareholder-owned electric utilities in the US), plan a campaign to generate consumer interest about the benefits of plug-in vehicles and using electricity as a transportation fuel.[...]

Bring your passion, and let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you,

chelsea

Hi Chelsea,

I'm glad you're participating on this forum.

I follow you on twitter and completed the survey earlier.

I do have a question. Here in Florida I get the general impression that our utilities are indifferent to promoting plug-in vehicles. If they were interested why wouldn't they implement time of use rates? Maybe I'm naive, but if they were seriously interested in promoting plug-ins wouldn't this be a no-brainer by permitting them to take advantage of off-peak capacity?

Is this an issue where the EEI is trying to drag their membership kicking and screaming into the light? :wink:

Larry

Larry,

you might want to read up on our city's agreement with Florida Power & Light: Sarasota locks in to 30-year deal with FPL

At the center of the heated energy talks was the city's stake in a nearly $5 million-a-year franchise fee, which the city pulls in through FPL charges to consumers -- a revenue source the city cannot afford to drop during a recession and a leverage point some say FPL representatives have taken advantage of.

Money talks!

In an accompanying contract FPL representatives agreed, over the next three decades, to provide:

• Educational programs to inform residents about energy efficiency;

• Energy audits on city and consumer accounts;

• Home energy makeovers for 1,500 homes;

• Fifteen electric vehicle charging stations, to be replaced over time; and

• A longer-term promise to install a large-scale rooftop solar facility and LED street light pilot program.

Sometime over the next 30 years.....so far there's been no sign of FPL being in a hurry to get things done.

Under the contract, Sarasota effectively grants a 30-year monopoly for FPL, a company whose renewable energy profile is in stark contrast to the city's aggressive green energy and sustainability goals. The company imports a vast majority of its fuel energy from out of state, and reports only 2 percent of its energy as coming from renewable sources.

Which is why I converted my whole house to solar PV.

Interesting to note that the two Commissioners who voted against the deal eventually gave up on politics.... :frown:

Chelsea, completed the survey - thanks for all you do! On one page the survey asked about EV ownership and included Tesla Model S....I marked that as a yes because I have a locked in purchase agreement but no vehicle yet (technically none of us on TMC actually "own" one yet).

For the record, FPL's parent, NextEra Energy, is the largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and sun in North America. FPL has a large section of its website devoted to electric vehicles, whereas neither of my electric utilities even mentions EVs on their websites. (They do, however, offer TOU rates, but even the off-peak price is above FPL's standard rate of $0.116/kWh.) So, don't revile them too much!

[disclaimer: NextEra is a client of mine.]

Larry,

you might want to read up on our city's agreement with Florida Power & Light: Sarasota locks in to 30-year deal with FPL

Money talks!

Sometime over the next 30 years.....so far there's been no sign of FPL being in a hurry to get things done.

Which is why I converted my whole house to solar PV.

Interesting to note that the two Commissioners who voted against the deal eventually gave up on politics.... :frown:

Thanks Nigel,

As I said, "Maybe I'm naive..." :redface:

Larry

For the record, FPL's parent, NextEra Energy, is the largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and sun in North America. FPL has a large section of its website devoted to electric vehicles, whereas neither of my electric utilities even mentions EVs on their websites. (They do, however, offer TOU rates, but even the off-peak price is above FPL's standard rate of $0.116/kWh.) So, don't revile them too much!

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the background, but are you aware of any utility where it would not benefit them to encourage new off peak load? Shouldn't they be sharing the benefits with their rate payers via time of use rates, or is this delay just a means of skimming the cream?

Larry

Actions speak louder than words and FPL has shown that it doesn't actually give a hoot about EV's so long as it keeps a hold on its monopoly in this area. Even on their website they say some of the dumbest things, here's a few samples from their FAQ's:

When will EVs be mass-produced?
More than 80 percent of vehicle manufacturers have plans to produce EVs.....Ford and Toyota are also planning large-scale plug-in launches in 2011 and 2012.

Large-scale.....really?

Are EVs dependable?
Consumer Reports has weighed in on the matter by saying “hybrid systems are very reliable.”

Huh? Hybrids?

Are plug-in EVs practical?
According to the U.S. Bureau of Transportation Statistics, more than 75 percent of Americans commute 40 miles a day or less, so BEVs may meet the needs of most Americans. For those individuals who travel farther on a regular basis, plug-in hybrids combine the efficiency and environmental benefits of battery power with the extended range offered by an internal combustion engine.

"May" meet the needs? This page starts to sound like a GM Volt ad.

Does FPL offer incentives for purchasing /driving a plug-in vehicle?
FPL is not offering incentives to buy or drive plug-in vehicles....

Well they don't provide any incentives to install solar systems either...in fact, it seems like the administrative paperwork is deigned to discourage private install of PV systems.

Does FPL offer its customers a special rate for charging EVs?
Not at this time. Standard electric rates would apply within the FPL service territory.

No off-peak incentives then.

Are lithium-ion batteries safe and dependable?
As with gasoline-powered vehicles, plug-in vehicles must meet industry safety standards. Chevrolet has offered an eight-year/100,000-mile warranty on its Volt battery, and other EV manufacturers anticipate a lifetime of five to 10 years on their batteries.

5 years?? GM really did sponsor this page then.

What happens when the batteries run out of power?
They must be recharged, either at home or at a public charging station. As the public charging infrastructure continues to expand, drivers of plug-in vehicles will have more options to charge up. Current EV manufacturers have Roadside Assistance Warranty programs in place that may be useful in the event your vehicle runs out of power and you have no ability to get to a charging station. Consult your vehicle manufacturer for more information.

If FPL installed the charge stations as they promised then it would be less of an issue, right?

Where are existing public charging stations located?
The U.S Department of Energy has set up a website where consumers can locate charging stations...

Website lists 4,058 stations. Chargepoint.com lists 8,626. Why doesn't FPL suggest one of the existing apps?

What are FPL’s future electric vehicle plans?
We are continuously evaluating electric vehicles.....

Translated: we're doing nothing...

-------

I don't "revile" FPL but they really do nothing to encourage EV use, they haven't followed up on promises and they seem to promote hybrids over pure EV's....so, no there's not a lot of respect for FPL in our area. Sorry Robert.

I don't "revile" FPL but they really do nothing to encourage EV use, they haven't followed up on promises and they seem to promote hybrids over pure EV's....so, no there's not a lot of respect for FPL in our area. Sorry Robert.

Amen, Nigel. It's a complete joke the FPL isn't on the cutting edge of promoting EVs, and that the state of Florida (otherwise known as the "Sunshine" state) doesn't offer any incentives whatsoever for going solar. I realize all utilities have their challenges, but really FPL is behind the curve, at best, on this issue, especially given where we are in the world.

Filled out the survey.
The survey was a good reminder to me how little charging infrastructure and support for EVs we have here in Utah.
Take a look at the PlugShare - Find Charging Stations for Electric Cars! map. There is a charging wasteland in the middle of the west named Utah. At the moment, using public chargers, Salt Lake to St. George/Vegas, Salt Lake to Moab, and Salt Lake to Grand Junction are impossible trips in anything but a 300 mile Model S, and that's not including the return trip from Moab since there isn't a public station there. Our time will come, but there isn't a lot of push from the public sector, utility company, or car makers to build infrastructure here.

I am a reservation holder (since July 2009) for a Model S, and I will be getting the 300 mile battery. I'm very curious if the Tesla charging network (rumored to be announced soon) will include the cross routes through Utah (I-80, I-15, I-70, Rt 6). Otherwise, I will have to get creative traveling from Orem (just south of SLC) to Cedar City (Utah Shakespeare Festival), Moab, Vegas, Vail, Denver, etc. Will probably be hitting up friends, and becoming friends with campgrounds... These trips occur several times a year. The rest of the time, I will be loving the fact that I leave my garage every morning with a charged car, never to visit a gas station again!

Amen, Nigel. It's a complete joke the FPL isn't on the cutting edge of promoting EVs, and that the state of Florida (otherwise known as the "Sunshine" state) doesn't offer any incentives whatsoever for going solar. I realize all utilities have their challenges, but really FPL is behind the curve, at best, on this issue, especially given where we are in the world.
It's a very strange Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde show at NextEra. The merchant generation side is all over wind & solar, but they're constrained to operate outside of the FPL service territory. Those are the guys I work with. The utility mindset is clearly somewhere very different.

So, mea culpa. Now, back to Chelsea's thread...

Now, back to Chelsea's thread...

Arguably, we haven't strayed off-topic. FPL is an example of a utility that (very poorly) pays lip service to promoting electricity as an automotive fuel. I'm definitely pro-business but the (to a great extent poorly regulated) monopoly they have doesn't motivate them to do better.

(BTW, here's a huge negative shout-out to all those municipalities who sign-off on a monopoly in return for a cut of the proceeds! :mad:)