Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Would You Cope With High Gas Prices?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Design News - How Would You Cope With High Gas Prices?

The bottom line is that many consumers have apparently reached a tipping point. About 80 percent of them said they support the idea of a government-mandated fuel standard of 55mpg, and an equal percentage said they would be willing to pay extra for a fuel-efficient vehicle if they could recoup that investment through lower operating costs. That's significantly different from what we're seeing in the marketplace. Hybrids are hovering at around 3 percent of new vehicle sales, and pure electrics comprise such a small category that it's almost immeasurable.

But if there's a takeaway from the Consumer Reports survey, it's that some consumers are already considering a plan of action if gas prices climb too high. They may not fully understand the available choices, but they're beginning to think an alternative powertrain isn't such a bad idea, after all.

The general wisdom is changing. I can see it with people I meet with every day. The vast majority never heard of Tesla, let alone the model S. But as soon as I tell them about Tesla, they find it amazing and want one. Lots of my friends own Tesla's stock now after I told them about what's coming.

Electric drive makes so much sense at every level, cost, maintenance, environement and much.

Now, Telsa, you have to tell the world with a big bang, the message is not getting out to the general population.

I want to ear Mr. Musk say: Watch this! ;)

The potential fly in the ointment is that w/ Europe in recession, the US about to be, and China slowing, demand for oil is falling and prices along with it. It will make the math more difficult for EVs and highly fuel efficient cars in general.

The potential fly in the ointment is that w/ Europe in recession, the US about to be, and China slowing, demand for oil is falling and prices along with it. It will make the math more difficult for EVs and highly fuel efficient cars in general.

Yep - and when gas prices fall you always see all of these idiots running out to buy giant monstrosity SUVs and 4x4 Dually pickup trucks. Then when gas prices rise again they will act like it is the first time they've ever seen high gas prices and don't know what to do with their giant vehicle and will make it out to be Obama's fault (or whoever is president at the time) for their mistake.

Gas prices always fluctuate but each time they go up, it's a little higher and each time they go down it's not quite as low. I always tell folks to purchase their modern cars when the gas prices are low as the car prices will be lower as well.

This topic caught my eye. I just got back from a mini vacation in Montreal, Canada. Awesome city!
BUT gas prices are $1.40 a Liter. That's right $1.40 per LITER. That's like $5.60 a Gallon!

Sometime in the next several years, we will be paying that much, Or More in the USA, and that's when the masses will finally wake up.
We're talking about $100 per tank of gasoline. Good luck trying to sell any car that's not a hybrid, or an econobox, or an EV. The automakers who are planning ahead will do just fine.

You should visit Europe! I just filled up my 35 liter tank and paid 63 euro's! That's about 75 USD for a little less then 10 gallons..

I honestly don't think oil prices will drop nor will Europe go into an even bigger crisis. We'll manage :)

I boughtmy current hybrid just for this reason. Gas is expensive!

This topic caught my eye. I just got back from a mini vacation in Montreal, Canada. Awesome city!
BUT gas prices are $1.40 a Liter. That's right $1.40 per LITER. That's like $5.60 a Gallon!

Sometime in the next several years, we will be paying that much, Or More in the USA, and that's when the masses will finally wake up.
We're talking about $100 per tank of gasoline. Good luck trying to sell any car that's not a hybrid, or an econobox, or an EV. The automakers who are planning ahead will do just fine.

Well yeah, it's not unusual to spend $100 at the gas pump here. That's just one reason for switching to EVs.

I realize I'm replying to a two-month old comment, but my analysis of the impact of the recession is that it will drive people away from *cars*. People who can figure out how to live without a car will do so, because the math for that is so much better.

You see, the recession isn't hitting the top 1% very hard. Everyone else is being hit very hard, hard enough that it outweighs oil prices getting cheaper.

If this doesn't turn around (and it should turn around eventually!), it means that there never will be a mass-market electric car because there will be no more mass-market *cars*, period; cars will go back to being a niche item. In that case Tesla will do very well....

... my analysis of the impact of the recession is that it will drive people away from *cars*. People who can figure out how to live without a car will do so, because the math for that is so much better.....

That's what happening. When gas prices spike people figure out how not to drive their cars. Roadways clear as people skip trips, combine drives more, use public transit and walk and bike.

Not great for sales of Leafs and Teslas...

I drive quite a bit for work a this week was killer in terms of mileage. I filled up on Tuesday and gas was something like $4.43 for Premium Unleaded, come Thursday, same station, filling up a different car and gas was $4.59 for regular $4.99 for premium. What the?

Ugh.. my model S (5+ months) can't come sooner. In some cases this these high gas prices just accelerate the ROI. Of course, the rest of the nation is fine on gas prices, just California since refineries are having production issues which is depressing supply.