Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prototype Red vs Signature Red (vs Sunset Red)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Larry Chanin

President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts
Aug 22, 2011
Sarasota, Florida
Mod Note: these posts were extracted from the "latest finalize" thread.

Further, my reason for wanting the Signature over the Production car was the Tesla red color. I fell in love with that color when I saw it on the alpha car 3 years ago. But the paint color changed to where it is almost identical to two cars I already own. OTOH, the Sunset Red is beautiful and is very close (if not the same) as the original red color I saw on the apha car.

This photo is of the early prototype Model S with the original Signature Red custom paint job.

Tesla Model S at the Sarasota Yacht Club 004.JPG

This photo is of Steve Jurvetson's Signature Red production Model S.

Tesla Get Amped 045.JPG

This photo is of the test drive Model S with Sunset Red.

Tesla Get Amped 080.JPG

Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Larry -- your pictures clearly document the drift of the Signature Red color towards blue, rather than keeping that intense red, tilting ever so slightly towards orange.

Hi Robert,

Thanks, but one caveat. The prototype was taken in mostly artifical light, the other two cars were taken in full sunlight.

To my eye and memory both Signature Reds were distinctly wine colored. The Sunset Red was different. It was a brilliant fire engine red, not too different from the red in Tesla's logo. I loved all three colors. In viewing the Sunset Red at Fremont with strangers many felt the Sunset Red might be too striking for their more conservative tastes. If I were getting a General Production Model S I would definately go for the Sunset Red as it really makes a statement.

Larry

Don't forget to consider the reflections: blue sky vs light brown mall.

Hi Norbert,

True, the photo of the prototype was taken under artificial light at the Sarasota Yacht Club. However, you can see in the background that the club also had lots of daylight with large floor to ceiling windows at both ends of the display area.

Larry

Even the 'Signature Red' promise is now fairly much a non-advantage, since they've introduced Sunset Red on production cars.

I thought I was the only one who felt that way. I didn't expect Tesla never to make another shade of red, but they could wait more than just a few months before releasing the 2nd red. It does diminish the uniqueness of the Signature red. Another example of Tesla making decisions, right or wrong, at the expense of the Signature series.

I thought I was the only one who felt that way. I didn't expect Tesla never to make another shade of red, but they could wait more than just a few months before releasing the 2nd red. It does diminish the uniqueness of the Signature red. Another example of Tesla making decisions, right or wrong, at the expense of the Signature series.
Well stated.

There are some olive branches they could have offered as well: like offering a Signature Green and/or Signature Blue with the same "deeper, darker" relationship to Green and Blue that Signature Red has to Sunset Red.

According to Tesla reps at the test drive events, they are purposely holding back on announcing when in 2013 the Sunset Red is going to be available. This is expressly to preserve the Sig Red's exclusivity for a reasonable period of time. The paint shop at the factory has no issues painting the Sunset Red right now.

My suspicion is that the deeper into 2012 it takes to get all the Signatures - mostly Sig Red, it appears - out, the deeper into 2013 it would be when we get to see Sunset Red. Jan/Feb is too optimistic for anyone in general production thinking of waiting for that color.

According to Tesla reps at the test drive events, they are purposely holding back on announcing when in 2013 the Sunset Red is going to be available. This is expressly to preserve the Sig Red's exclusivity for a reasonable period of time. The paint shop at the factory has no issues painting the Sunset Red right now.

My suspicion is that the deeper into 2012 it takes to get all the Signatures - mostly Sig Red, it appears - out, the deeper into 2013 it would be when we get to see Sunset Red. Jan/Feb is too optimistic for anyone in general production thinking of waiting for that color.

The April approx timeline is not under TM's control. The paint supplier is going to take that long to assemble the ingredients and "batch" it for them. Can't be rushed.

Those are surely 3 very different reds! Incidentally, red is the color we can distinguish the most shades of. Something to do with tuning to detect skin tone and fruit ripeness etc. Very high priority color! Brown, btw, is "mixed" red and black.

The April approx timeline is not under TM's control. The paint supplier is going to take that long to assemble the ingredients and "batch" it for them. Can't be rushed.

That might be a plausible explanation, Brian, to give Tesla the benefit of the doubt. Did you hear approx-April from a fairly authoritative source?

From the chatter here, I just suspect that some of the early Sigs who - if they were to defer - will land early P slots, may be tempted to go for the Sunset Red if they realize that their Sig delivery may be no more than 4-5 months earlier than a P Sunset Red delivery and also realize that the Sig Red color is the only real reason that they are getting the Sig.

Well stated.

There are some olive branches they could have offered as well: like offering a Signature Green and/or Signature Blue with the same "deeper, darker" relationship to Green and Blue that Signature Red has to Sunset Red.

They do make a "deeper, darker" version of the blue. It's called "Black"! :). Seriously, the blue already looks black in the shade. Maybe a signature blue would be a bright blue?

For you signature folks who are bummed by Sunset Red, let me just tell you that I think Signature Red is much prettier than Sunset Red (and I've seen them both in person on the same day in the same place). Anybody who decides to drop your Signature status, please feel free since it gives me a better shot at coming off the waiting list! :)

I do agree that it would be fair to give a bit of a break if you don't take the 21" wheels, though.

Well stated.

The olive branch is apparently the one year free data service. Whether that gets you excited or not...that's up to you.

That doesn't sound right - the paint supplier can get 9 other colors ready, but it takes them 10 months (Sunset was at the June event, so I 'm counting June to April) to build a batch of Sunset, a color that Tesla has long touted as not being available until 2013? Especially if the supplier is one of the big 3 in automotive - DuPont, PPG or BASF - and not one of the smaller ones.

That doesn't sound right - the paint supplier can get 9 other colors ready, but it takes them 10 months (Sunset was at the June event, so I 'm counting June to April) to build a batch of Sunset, a color that Tesla has long touted as not being available until 2013? Especially if the supplier is one of the big 3 in automotive - DuPont, PPG or BASF - and not one of the smaller ones.

I think it may have had more to do with making the Signature Red more exclusive. If they made the Sunset Red available in October right after the Signature run, it might have led some people who didn't care what color red the car was to downgrade.

Mod Note: a portion of this post was moved to How long have you been waiting? (when did you reserve?)

Last edited: