Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Hyperloop

Thanks for sharing the link, watched this the other day, and noticed Elon has now tweeted about the hyper loops.. I wonder how serious he is about this

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-07-15 at 11.40.18.png
Views: 710
Size:  28.3 KB

"Not a vac tunnel btw".

It was an interesting interview, and I agree with what others have said that is interesting to just watch him talk and see how his brain is working

Charlie -

Open source.. Guess he doesn't have time to go after it himself and doesn't want to see it delayed.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    If everything he says about the Hyperloop is accurate, maybe they'll do that instead of the new high speed rail in California.

This Hyperloop thing kept me thinking. I don't know if this is a good idea, but at least it's an idea. Somewhat based on Elon's description of high altitude jets / fans operating at low air pressure:

So not a vacuum tunnel, but a somewhat air-tight tunnel for the pods (or ideally plexiglas tube above ground or below water in the Pacific, or whatever). One for each direction of course. And two air pipes along them, one with high air pressure, one with low pressure / vacuum, and every 100 ft or so, remotely controlled valves that connect the pipes with the tunnel. Then, when a pod is traveling in the tunnel, the valves for the low-pressure/vacuum pipe open ahead of the pod, and the high pressure valves open behind the pod. So the pod itself has no motor or anything, but is driven by the high pressure behind it, and the low pressure in front of it (which also decreases the aerodynamic resistance). Probably won't work because it's too inefficient (or impossible) to create a large enough pressure difference in the tunnel, but maybe it was an entertaining thought...

Or is that actually how the office pressure communication works...?
    Buying an EV is one thing, being able to drive it beyond city limits another...

This would be a nice automated and safe transportation...

@Steph - I'd love to see "BattleBots 3D cage" as a next step in such research.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by brianman View Post
    @Steph - I'd love to see "BattleBots 3D cage" as a next step in such research.
    Try this one:

And this one is pretty cool too:

Last edited by Steph; 2012-07-16 at 08:43 AM.

let's try to keep it close to the topic

Quote Originally Posted by AnOutsider View Post
    let's try to keep it close to the topic
    That was my take on the "Hyperloop"

What if you make this thing big enough to carry a car from point A to point B on short haul?

4 Tesla motors, a skateboard, some software to control and navigate, small landing and takeoff areas. With the 85kw battery, this thing could fly for a few hours probably (didn't do the maths, I feel lazy) That could be a flying taxi fixing all traffic problems Elon hates so much (I feel the same as he and when I saw this thing a while ago, I though it could be a revolution

Quote Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
    And two air pipes along them, one with high air pressure, one with low pressure
    Hey! And the solar panels above could pressurize the pipes even when no capsules are running. And at night the pressurized pipes can still power (blow?) the capsules forward because they are (over-)pressurized. (As Elon hinted.)

Regenerative breaking can be achieved by pumping air from in front of the capsule back into the pipes.

What kind of diameter are we talking about?

Thread Information