Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bumming a light. Etiquette in asking...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I've seen a thread on this already, but couldn't find it via search (and this is half in jest), but still curious to know about "bumming" some electricity when you're in a pinch.

For those of you with real world Leaf, Roadster (or other EV) experience, when you're caught low in charge along the road and you need to find a place to plug in a hurry, forcing you to find the nearest AC source of any kind (i.e. no official charging stations nearby), do you...

A) Look for an industrial building where no one might be looking and plug in to an external socket?
B) Find a retail/commercial establishment and ask to "borrow" some juice?
C) Find the nearest house and knock on the door?

Another scenario, you're driving to a friend's home, or client's office, and you need to either top-off, or fully recharge before your return trip, do you...

A) Ask to borrow their dryer port?
B) Ask for an outside 110?
C) Do you offer to pay them back?

OR... option D to all the above: Not be a burden to anybody and try calling AAA for an emergency quick charge (heard they're starting to do this in some locations), or even more extreme, call for a tow-truck?

All of this just kind of metaphorically reminds me of the situation for those who smoke and don't have a cigarette on hand, but they'll see a complete stranger taking a puff, and walk right up and ask to share a cig and a light. It can come across rude, at least from the outside looking in, but I think it's a "club" kind of thing (something you do for a buddy/junkie in need). ;)

But this gets me to thinking about the ultra rare circumstances where this might have happened to an EV owner. How do you tactfully deal with getting some current in the wild.

Thoughts?

I think I've seen a thread on this already, but couldn't find it via search (and this is half in jest), but still curious to know about "bumming" some electricity when you're in a pinch.

For those of you with real world Leaf, Roadster (or other EV) experience, when you're caught low in charge along the road and you need to find a place to plug in a hurry, forcing you to find the nearest AC source of any kind (i.e. no official charging stations nearby), do you...

A) Look for an industrial building where no one might be looking and plug in to an external socket?
B) Find a retail/commercial establishment and ask to "borrow" some juice?
C) Find the nearest house and knock on the door?

Another scenario, you're driving to a friend's home, or client's office, and you need to either top-off, or fully recharge before your return trip, do you...

A) Ask to borrow their dryer port?
B) Ask for an outside 110?
C) Do you offer to pay them back?

OR... option D to all the above: Not be a burden to anybody and try calling AAA for an emergency quick charge (heard they're starting to do this in some locations), or even more extreme, call for a tow-truck?

All of this just kind of metaphorically reminds me of the situation for those who smoke and don't have a cigarette on hand, but they'll see a complete stranger taking a puff, and walk right up and ask to share a cig and a light. It can come across rude, at least from the outside looking in, but I think it's a "club" kind of thing (something you do for a buddy/junkie in need). ;)

But this gets me to thinking about the ultra rare circumstances where this might have happened to an EV owner. How do you tactfully deal with getting some current in the wild.

Thoughts?

The probability of this occurring is almost 0...more often than not you will be able to find an RV park and charge there. I think the biggest inconvenience will be asking your friend for a ride to and from the RV park (while your vehicle is charging).

110 is almost useless if you do not allow the vehicle to charge 24+ hours.

The probability of this occurring is almost 0...more often than not you will be able to find an RV park and charge there. I think the biggest inconvenience will be asking your friend for a ride to and from the RV park (while your vehicle is charging).

110 is almost useless if you do not allow the vehicle to charge 24+ hours.

No, I agree 110 is just about useless, and the probably of the first scenario occurring, all but nill... hence why I'm not taking this thread too seriously. More of a hypothetical.

But I forgot about TEG's suggestion about RV parks (got to get that ingrained as an option in my mind). I've seen that posted suggestion here before, and makes more sense than anything I put up above.

You can try one of the charging station apps, such as PlugShare, I am listed for example, with a 14-50, TT-30 and 120V 20A outlet, availble outside of my garage, it's an RV Park setup, of course I am south of Boston.

Mitch

ev7.jpg

No, I agree 110 is just about useless, and the probably of the first scenario occurring, all but nill... hence why I'm not taking this thread too seriously. More of a hypothetical.

But I forgot about TEG's suggestion about RV parks (got to get that ingrained as an option in my mind). I've seen that posted suggestion here before, and makes more sense than anything I put up above.

In my opinion this is how the hierarchy would go for finding power:

HPC
RV Park+ UMC
Chargepoint/Public
Avcon -> 14-50->UMC
Recargo-Plugshare Stranger etc
Ask friend to move dryer/Commercial AC Unit/Welder/Generator etc
Tow to RV Park
110v

You can try one of the charging station apps, such as PlugShare, I am listed for example, with a 14-50, TT-30 and 120V 20A outlet, availble outside of my garage, it's an RV Park setup, of course I am south of Boston.

Mitch, now that's a nice gesture to the community!

A neighbor of mine had a helicopter and a helipad in his backyard (complete with underground garage - must have watched too much "Airwolf"), but he also registered his helipad with the FAA so it showed up on aviation maps, in case of an emergency landing was needed.

..., but I think it's a "club" kind of thing (something you do for a buddy/junkie in need). ;)...

It's a good description. Some may register on Recargo or Plugshare apps and others just might verbally tell people they have a plug available for use. We early adopters are definitely helping each other out. businesses with plugs are not always so generous though. Some Nissan dealers are reportedly not happy with non-Leafs plugged in. Some business have charge places behind locked gates or garages.