Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ranger Fees

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
also I think in warranty repairs they waive the ranger fee (if they do not tow it in)? not 100% sure on that

Even if they tow it in it's covered under warranty. The only big issue my Roadster has had was the AC cutting out. It took a mini vacation in Chicago and was all covered under warranty.

Does anyone know if the rager fees ($1/mile) are charged one way to both ways? For example if you are 500 miles from a service center if the fee $1000 or $500? Added to the annual servicing the costs can add up.

What everyone said above is correct. In your example, it would be $1,000.

The last time I asked that question, I was told that the Ranger fee is not waived for warranty issues. Maybe they waive it on a case-by-case basis, but I know of multiple instances where owners were told they had to pay the fee to get warranty work done.

Yikes. They've waived $400 in ranger fees 5 times for the warranty work on my Roadster over the last 18 months.

I've had a few Ranger visits and have never paid for warranty work. The only time it would have happen (installing my Xenon headlights), there was a small warranty item that needed fixing so they waived the fee. They've been awesome so far.

No Ranger fees here either despite them flying down from London each time after Fedexing the parts beforehand. I expect to have to pay for the yearly service but so far so good.

I'd hate this to be a cause for any financial issues in the company, but free ranger visits sure do build brand loyalty!

No fees for warranty

I have not been charged Ranger fees for warranty work, and that includes one trip up to me for the work and another trip where they trailered the car to take it to NYC. I have my annual service coming up, and I was told because there was a follow-up on the warranty work, they'd waive the ranger fee (it will be another trailer to NYC). I think they are doing the right thing here. They also offered to let 2 owners here in VT split the ranger fee if they could work on both cars at the same location.

I just had a rude awakening on this very point (Ranger service). I have been an extremely happy Model S owner for nearly three years, and I put in a reservation for a Model X nearly three years ago. Concerned about service in Montana, before plunking down my $5K, I called Tesla Motors and was assured that my car would be serviced by Rangers for $100 per trip. When invited to configure about a week ago, I asked again and Tesla HQ confirmed with the nearest service center (Salt Lake City) that Ranger service to Montana would be $100. I placed my order and then, surprise! The Tesla sales rep told me they had changed their policy and there would now be a $1,000 surcharge for each service. I canceled the order.

Remember this quote from Elon Musk: "Each piece of the customer experience should be world class.I've told Tesla service division that their job is to NEVER make a profit. Operate the business at the zero profit point.
Regular franchises make most of their profits on the service, not on the sale. This isn't good."

I just had a rude awakening on this very point (Ranger service). I have been an extremely happy Model S owner for nearly three years, and I put in a reservation for a Model X nearly three years ago. Concerned about service in Montana, before plunking down my $5K, I called Tesla Motors and was assured that my car would be serviced by Rangers for $100 per trip. When invited to configure about a week ago, I asked again and Tesla HQ confirmed with the nearest service center (Salt Lake City) that Ranger service to Montana would be $100. I placed my order and then, surprise! The Tesla sales rep told me they had changed their policy and there would now be a $1,000 surcharge for each service. I canceled the order.

Remember this quote from Elon Musk: "Each piece of the customer experience should be world class.I've told Tesla service division that their job is to NEVER make a profit. Operate the business at the zero profit point.
Regular franchises make most of their profits on the service, not on the sale. This isn't good."

That is absolutely crazy. Back in the day, although Ranger visits for warranty work were free, if you just had non-warranty service done, they charged $1/mile to come to you (round trip distance). I have heard that has gone up, but $1000? That is ludicrous...

How far does the Ranger have to drive? Montana is a pretty big state. On Tesla's website it clearly states that Ranger visits start at just $100, but increase with distance traveled. Having a Ranger travel from Salt Lake City to Montana is quite a ways drive, hence the $1000 Ranger fee they quoted you at the end. Whoever quoted the $100 flat rate on the phone at HQ was flat wrong, unless you misheard them, which happens including myself. Anyways, I verified that Tesla's website does state exactly what they told in the end.

As a point of reference, a drive from Salt Lake City Utah to Butte Montana is aprox. 416 miles. Round trip that's 832 miles. Then if they don't have the part they need they'll need to redo the 832 mile trip. So even at $1/mile, one way would have been $416, and roundtrip would have been $832 using Tesla's original Ranger price model.

But if they told you $100 at first, I have to ask that didn't this seem kinda low in cost? Especially if you knew that Elon's vision was to not make a profit off of the service side of the business? Using my reference they'd most likely be losing money, especially if they ran into an issue and didn't have the correct tool/part. So that should have seemed a little odd to me being quoted such a low figure and would have called the nearest service center to confirm. At least try to do a search on Tesla's site about their service policy and costs as what I found below:

"Service begins at $100 per visit and increases based on your distance from the nearest Tesla service center."

Service plans | Tesla Motors

Last edited:
$1,000 that's bad but I've been told by Tesla that my Ranger fee will be $1,500. I'm considering selling my car if I really have to pay that more than once I'd say. Love the car but not the company.
This is the big Achilles Heel of the Tesla model IMHO. While having a no haggle order your own vehicle online is a great feature, it's lack of infrastructure on the ground is a big failure. If they want to ramp up production on the Model 3 to hundreds of thousands of cars, they need service centres locally, in every place they sell the cars. If they don't, nobody will buy the cars. We're already seeing wait times at service centres of several weeks in some cases.