Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Traction Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my MBZ SLK32, if the wheels start to slip when traction control is on, the car cuts power to the wheels. This is highly annoying. If the traction control isn't on, it's easy to spin the car all the way around. This is highly dangerous.
On the Model S Performance, I gunned the gas while taking a right at a stop sign. The wheels were slipping, but the car was completely under control and the acceleration was terrific. I assume traction control was on during the test drive. If so, they did it perfectly, and I wouldn't ever want to turn it off.

Derek
P6852

i went to push the button to turn it off in my test drive (hawthorne/la) and the co-pilot practically jumped out of her seat saying 'no' don't do that, i canceled the request at the confirmation prompt. i really wanted to feel what it was doing. cause i like it off in my bmws. but, will have to see how they implemented it...

i went to push the button to turn it off in my test drive (hawthorne/la) and the co-pilot practically jumped out of her seat saying 'no' don't do that, i canceled the request at the confirmation prompt. i really wanted to feel what it was doing. cause i like it off in my bmws. but, will have to see how they implemented it...

There have been a number of Roadsters hurt while being driven with the traction control off. I have done it in carparks and skid pans, but will never do it on a street. There's no payback.

So what do we know?

Anyone drive with it off?

Where is the switch?

Drifting?
Yeah, I asked if I could turn off the traction control to see how it drifted in turns (DC event).
Got an immediate and emphatic "There will be no drifting or turning off the traction control today".
Actually, I would have been pretty surprised if they had let me do it.
Very risky and dangerous in the wrong hands, and they have no idea of anyone's real experience level.

Watched in in HD a few times. I think they're both spinning.

I've done it. Yes, it is wasteful of tire tread, but it is fun to pretend to be a 16-year old every once in a while. You can reliably smoke both tires with traction control off.

As for a reason to disable traction control, my driving instructor demonstrated to me how putting the car in to a turn at its limits on the track, you get a much smoother overdrive, rear wheel drift with the traction control off. With it on, things are much more jerky. For me in normal street driving, I will leave traction control on!