Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The high-pitched whine during acceleration...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
Heard the same whine yesterday (initially blamed on traction control) in the non-perf Silver car in Palo Alto as my host, Nick, punched it in a straight line. Matt, our co-pilot, confirmed the frequency bit below and that they are working on changing it.

Thought I'll put together posts from the Get Amped threads about this for discussion here:

Here's the video Francis posted earlier in the thread. Start at 7:35, this is where I'm making the right-hand turn. I started to make the turn and then stepped it to the floor. Somewhere around 20-25 I heard that muted tone - I'm guessing that same "whine" you heard. So I don't think it was breaking loose in the turn, but rather when I really romped on it. I could feel I broke them loose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVyhjJcQhG8

I heard that same high pitch tone in the MSP I drove every time I punched it straightline, too. I did several "regen down to 30 mph, punch it up to 60 mph" runs along the highway and heard that sound each time at max motor exertion, so I didn't think it was related to the traction control. Seemed more related to inverter/current delivery.

Then again, I suppose it's possible the car started detecting slip during hard straightline acceleration as well. That's a lot of torque to put down in two wheels. Some lightweight big block cars like the Corvette Z06 have no problem breaking traction in a straight line at speed after a downshift. I'd be impressed to learn the Model S at 4600 lbs can break traction under acceleration at 30mph!

From your explanation - this is the motor controller changing the switching frequency. The controller is more efficient at lower frequencies but also louder. It probably works on a higher switching frequency during during "normal driving" (within the continuous rated motor-controller power/current) for silent operation. When you floor it and the looses (heat) increase, the controller changes the frequency in order to increase efficiency. You will hear that as a whine from the rear end of the car.

At the Palo Alto event today, we were told that there is a connector through which very high current passes under heavy acceleration. It's AC, and the particular frequency causes the connector to physically vibrate, which is audible in the car. Apparently, they are considering modifying the frequency so that the connector will not whine audibly.

As mentioned, I rather liked the sci-fi-esque whine and, while I may not end up missing it hardcore, it was welcome.

AO, not sure if you heard what we might be talking about here. It's not the 'regular' whine of the motor when driving; at higher speeds, when still accelerating, a second distinctive 'hollow sound' (don't know how else to describe it), distinct from the regular whine, could be heard. Wasn't nice to hear really; felt like something was going to come off somewhere!

AO, not sure if you heard what we might be talking about here. It's not the 'regular' whine of the motor when driving; at higher speeds, when still accelerating, a second distinctive 'hollow sound' (don't know how else to describe it), distinct from the regular whine, could be heard. Wasn't nice to hear really; felt like something was going to come off somewhere!

Oh, then my bad. I was talking about the nice scifi-sounding whine

To me it sounded like a muted warning tone - it wasn't variable with acceleration - it was fixed frequency and quiet. Sounded like it came from either beneath the 17" panel or beneath my seat. For me, it happened when I felt the traction control kick in, so I was wondering whether that was the cause.

I hadn't noticed that in E's car in Fremont, but everyone in the Palo Alto car heard something and wondered about it.
We had a theory that it might be the air suspension switching to lower ride height at a certain speed, but that could be wrong.
It seemed to happen consistently when doing quick 0-60 acceleration runs, but never when just 'cruising'.
Maybe, as mentioned, it is related to traction control?
It was defiantly coming from the back of the vehicle down by the power-train. Also it was brief and not super loud, just noticeable as an "unusual noise."
It sounded to me like it built up in frequency then suddenly would be done... "zzzssshoooweeeep".
It sounded more mechanical than electrical to me, but I could be wrong. It almost sounded like a little "servo motor" or pump came on to adjust something.

Reminded me a bit of some of the noises you hear in a jet plane when they are adjusting flaps...

Last edited:

We had a very similar noise coming from a high-current contractor under hard acceleration. It was a one-time problem with a contactor probably messed-up during production. If this is noticeable in only one car, it could be the same issue.

However, the vibrating connector can also be the cause, we see "dancing cables" all the time during high-current bench-tests.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me it sounded like a muted warning tone - it wasn't variable with acceleration - it was fixed frequency and quiet. Sounded like it came from either beneath the 17" panel or beneath my seat. For me, it happened when I felt the traction control kick in, so I was wondering whether that was the cause.

I heard "both". I heard the tone that FlasherZ mention from the front dash (near the screen) and the noise from the back of the car. The tone from the front definitely seemed to be related to the traction control and the sound from the back related to hard acceleration. I heard the whine from the back several times when I accelerated hard but only heard the tone from the front when I felt the traction control really kick in.