Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera for rear facing jump seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I configured I asked if anyone at TM had given any thought of including as part of the rear facing jump seats option a forward facing camera from the inside of the trunk liftgate that would allow you to view your little ones (I have 3-yo twins, not infrequently fighting each other when riding in a car!) on the touchscreen. I was told it was a cool idea but not available at present :(

I'm not at all techy, but could this be added-on aftermarket using the hardware already present for the back-up camera? Thoughts on cost, how difficult?

I think the backup camera is some sort of unusual high end "HD" unit...
So, trying to find some off the shelf item could be problematic.

Someone could possibly move the backup camera, but then you would only see the seats and not the cars behind!

But, still a good idea. Hopefully Tesla considers adding an interior camera and a way to select it from the dashboard.

( But then you also need a screen on a the back window and a camera pointed at the driver so the little ones can see you telling them to knock it off! )

I think the backup camera is some sort of unusual high end "HD" unit...
So, trying to find some off the shelf item could be problematic.

Someone could possibly move the backup camera, but then you would only see the seats and not the cars behind!

But, still a good idea. Hopefully Tesla considers adding an interior camera and a way to select it from the dashboard.

( But then you also need a screen on a the back window and a camera pointed at the driver so the little ones can see you telling them to knock it off! )

Thanks for the input TEG.
I would definitely want to keep the HD back up camera view as is so won't plan on messing with that. For the interior camera, standard def would be enough.
The idea would be an add-on to the current hardware, and a way to toggle between the back-up view and the interior view showing the jump seats.

That's a different George....:wink:

BigBrotherBWTV.jpg

Thanks for the input TEG.
I would definitely want to keep the HD back up camera view as is so won't plan on messing with that. For the interior camera, standard def would be enough.
The idea would be an add-on to the current hardware, and a way to toggle between the back-up view and the interior view showing the jump seats.

I didn't see any "aux video input" selector in the dashboard UI. Perhaps you should request one from Tesla. They seem to be continually customizing the user interface, although I don't know if their hardware has an extra camera input. If you really had to, you could buy a camera + screen kit and stick a "baby monitor" screen in the car separate from the 17" dash screen.

Low quality example:
Amazon.com: iBall Wireless Trailer Hitch Camera: Electronics

When I configured I asked if anyone at TM had given any thought of including as part of the rear facing jump seats option a forward facing camera from the inside of the trunk liftgate that would allow you to view your little ones (I have 3-yo twins, not infrequently fighting each other when riding in a car!) on the touchscreen. I was told it was a cool idea but not available at present :(

I'm not at all techy, but could this be added-on aftermarket using the hardware already present for the back-up camera? Thoughts on cost, how difficult?
Hmm, I've made a similar suggestion in the past, a camera to keep an eye on the kids. I wanted the camera mounted on the hatch so when the door is open, the camera faces down and you can see nothing is in the way as you close it remotely.

Hmm, I've made a similar suggestion in the past, a camera to keep an eye on the kids. I wanted the camera mounted on the hatch so when the door is open, the camera faces down and you can see nothing is in the way as you close it remotely.

Speaking of which, given the power liftgate with the tech package, is there a sensor there to detect obstacles (much like a window pinch sensor)?!

I didn't see any "aux video input" selector in the dashboard UI. Perhaps you should request one from Tesla. They seem to be continually customizing the user interface, although I don't know if their hardware has an extra camera input. If you really had to, you could buy a camera + screen kit and stick a "baby monitor" screen in the car separate from the 17" dash screen.

Low quality example:
Amazon.com: iBall Wireless Trailer Hitch Camera: Electronics

I'll ask about "aux video input". More elegant solution if the image displays on the 17" screen rather than on a separate monitor so don't think I would opt for a separate baby monitor screen. Let's see what TM tells me.

Neat idea. If placed in the proper place this would probably serve both purposes quite well.

1. Get a wifi android tablet with a front facing camera, stick it on the back window.
2. Install some camera thing on the tablet ( this maybe?). Connect the tablet to the cars wifi (I think the model s generates a wireless access point).
3. Open the address on the cars browser.

BAM, instant baby pacification (play some video on the tablet).

I don't know if everything will work without any custom software (mostly depends on the capabilities of the model s), but pester a programmer enough and it's a simple ( = a few hours) enough to fix. :p

My post did not show up (maybe because I linked to a gizmodo-family-site heh), but I said basically this: 1. Get an android tablet with front facing camera and put it on the rear window. 2. get a app to stream that camera to the cars wifi network 3. play children movies on the tablet 4. spy on them with the built in browser.

1. Get an android tablet with front facing camera and put it on the rear window. 2. get a app to stream that camera to the cars wifi network 3. play children movies on the tablet 4. spy on them with the built in browser.

If anybody can work this out (simultaneous movie playback whilst streaming from the front-facing camera to the Tesla) on the popular tablets (iOS /Android), I'm in for sure!

If anybody can work this out (simultaneous movie playback whilst streaming from the front-facing camera to the Tesla) on the popular tablets (iOS /Android), I'm in for sure!

I dunno if it will work for ipads, as the last time I used it the multitasking was *sugar*, and I could not find a okay looking mjpeg streamer quicly.

I think the only hurdle for doing this easily with an android tablet is if unlike other versions of webkit the tesla browser does not support mjpeg, but it's not like I can test it because the fanciest vehicle for me is a bike :) (with a flat tire :( ).

Google for "ip webcam android" and the program that I think will work best and easily should be the first result. (With a small guide for people that can't computer.)

Those rear facing seats are for approx 6 to 9 year olds. They do not take car seats.

You probably don't need a camera for an 8 year old. Well, hopefully not.