Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Washington State - King, Pierce & Snohomish Co. tax info

  1. #1

    Washington State - King, Pierce & Snohomish Co. tax info

    I got my pre-MVPA and found that there was a charge for RTA tax even though we are just outside of the Sound Transit tax area.
    Tesla removed the tax after I pointed it out to them.

    If you are not sure whether you are located within the RTA tax area and you are taking delivery at the location where your car will be registered, you can use this map and type in your address for verification:
    Sound Transit Map Explorer


    You can find general information about the tax on this page:
    Our taxing district - SoundTransit

  2. #2
    P-1456 Francis Lau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    484
    So what taxes and fees are incurred? Can you share what you saw in your paperwork?

  3. #3
    Sig X#1100 and X#1618 Discoducky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,075
    So $210 on a $70K car.

    RTA tax
    The RTA tax is a 0.3 percent motor vehicle excise tax (MVET) and a 0.9 percent sales tax approved by voters of central Puget Sound. Taxpayers who live within the RTA district boundaries pay the RTA tax.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Lau View Post
    So what taxes and fees are incurred? Can you share what you saw in your paperwork?
    There was a registration and titling fee of $85.75. There was also the RTA (Sound Transit Tax) of $327.00 that I had removed because we are not in the transit area. If your precinct did not get to vote on the tax in the 90’s you don’t have to pay it. It applies to the transit service areas along the I-5 and 405 corridors. If you click on the links in my previous post you’ll get a map and an address search tool.

    There was also a $35 charge for shipping and handling of the high power wall connector that we ordered. There was a footnote saying “Seller may receive or retain part of these amounts”. I’m guessing that it’s because it is an estimate of the actual shipping cost at this time.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Vancouver WA
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by v12 to 12v View Post
    There was a registration and titling fee of $85.75. There was also the RTA (Sound Transit Tax) of $327.00 that I had removed because we are not in the transit area. If your precinct did not get to vote on the tax in the 90’s you don’t have to pay it. It applies to the transit service areas along the I-5 and 405 corridors. If you click on the links in my previous post you’ll get a map and an address search tool.

    There was also a $35 charge for shipping and handling of the high power wall connector that we ordered. There was a footnote saying “Seller may receive or retain part of these amounts”. I’m guessing that it’s because it is an estimate of the actual shipping cost at this time.
    Seems like the reservation/PMVPA systems are still in 'beta'. Mine (for Clark County) correctly had no RTA (there is a note its $327 for "King, Snohomish and parts of Pierce"). And no shipping charge for the HPWC. Makes me wonder if they are planning to drop off my charger on day of delivery, if they are shipping it for free, or ????

  6. #6
    Senior Member brianman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    TMC.com
    Posts
    11,685
    Interesting. My S MVPA has the $327 RTA (under 2C). I guess I'll have to get that corrected as well.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

    PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

  7. #7
    P85 VIN 693 epley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    118
    Thanks so much for this thread--I am apparently just outside the RTA boundary, but for 7 years have assumed I'm within the boundary!

  8. #8
    You are welcome, neighbor!

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Woodinville, Wa
    Posts
    1
    Thank for the RTA post and link! I also just saved the $327 fee. That just more than paid for the cost of my NEMA 14-50 Receptacle update to my home.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Drdon220 View Post
    Thank for the RTA post and link! I also just saved the $327 fee. That just more than paid for the cost of my NEMA 14-50 Receptacle update to my home.
    You might check the registration on your other cars to see if you are getting charged the tax on them. It's a tax they charge every year at renewal time so you'll be able to apply some of that savings to the new EV tax of $100 that is supposed to make up for some of the state's lost gas tax revenue. The remainder in savings might pay for a few months worth of charging!

    I had to have the RTA tax removed from other cars, but that was back when the tax was fairly new. Maybe their systems are more accurate now.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. New Member - Washington State
    By JackA in forum Introductions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2012-07-25, 03:02 PM
  2. State sales tax exemption request
    By teslasguy in forum Model S
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 2012-07-12, 12:56 PM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 2012-05-31, 02:26 PM
  4. Do you have to pay CA state sales tax?
    By ahimberg in forum Tesla Motors
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 2011-10-19, 11:30 PM
  5. EV Tax credit info
    By TEG in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2010-03-27, 08:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •