Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting up Charging for Model S in Condos and Apartments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mariolh

Jul 12, 2012
Hello Tesla Owners and Enthusiasts,

I wanted to let members of the Tesla community know that for the last year I have been working on a project called EverCharge (www.evercharge.net) to help future Model S owners and other EV drivers who have placed orders to get setup with charging in their deeded parking slots in condos and appartment complexes. I am sharing a few documents (links below) that detail our solution which we call EverCharge. If anyone has placed a Model S order and is wondering how to get approval from their homeowners association please feel free to contact me: [email protected]

Our experience with other electric vehicles has been that there is often a challenge getting approval from the Homeowners Association (HOA) despite new legislation in California and a few other states that gives Tesla drivers rights in these environments. We have worked to create a solution that meets all the requirements of the HOA while providing the driver with a convenient charging experience.

We'd love to hear from you if you have ordered a Model S or Roadster and live in a multi-unit development like a condominium or apartment complexes. Have you had issues gaining approval from your homeowners association? Have you had issues with respect to electrical line capacity in your building?

Hope to hear from you soon and learn about your experiences.

-Mario

Here are the links to short one-page documents that describe EverCharge:
View attachment 7630View attachment 7631View attachment 7632

This thread got caught in moderation, and basically looks like a solicitation. There were also a couple posts in other threads by this user (that were not approved) that felt a bit spammy, promoting their service. But the info might be useful/relevant, so I'll leave it up the members to decide.

New California Law (SB 209) Requires HOA to facilitate EV charging upon request

The law Mario is talking about is called CA SB 209 here's a link to it, and an excerpt is below:

I'm glad the moderator let this post through--I used to work at Tesla and I know that one of the biggest challenges for getting customers to get electric cars in condos is to get HOA approvals.

EverCharge is the only solution I know of out there that addresses all of the requirements in the bill, including providing the $1,000,000 insurance policy and re-imbursing the HOA for the electricity useage in the common area. If anyone knows of any others... please share so we can get more urban residents in condos into EVs!

SB 209 Senate Bill - AMENDED

This bill would provide that any covenant, restriction, or
condition contained in any deed, contract, security instrument, or
other instrument affecting the transfer or sale of any interest in a
common interest development, or any provision of the governing
documents of a common interest development, that effectively
prohibits or restricts the installation or use of an electrical
vehicle charging station is void and unenforceable. The bill would
authorize an association, as defined, to impose reasonable
restrictions on those stations, as specified, and would impose
requirements with respect to an association's approval process for
those stations. If the station is to be placed in a common interest
area or an exclusive use common area, the homeowner would be
responsible for various costs associated with maintaining and
repairing the station, as well as costs for damage to common areas
and adjacent units resulting from installation and maintenance of the
station. The bill would also require impose
other responsibilities on the homeowner to maintain a
homeowner's insurance policy , including maintaining
an umbrella liability coverage policy of $1,000,000 that names
the common interest development as an additional insured. An
association that violates the bill's provisions would be liable for
damages and a civil penalty, as specified.

I wanted to let members of the Tesla community know that for the last year I have been working on a project called EverCharge (www.evercharge.net) to help future Model S owners and other EV drivers who have placed orders to get setup with charging in their deeded parking slots in condos and appartment complexes. I am sharing a few documents (links below) that detail our solution which we call EverCharge. If anyone has placed a Model S order and is wondering how to get approval from their homeowners association please feel free to contact me: [email protected]

Our experience with other electric vehicles has been that there is often a challenge getting approval from the Homeowners Association (HOA) despite new legislation in California and a few other states that gives Tesla drivers rights in these environments. We have worked to create a solution that meets all the requirements of the HOA while providing the driver with a convenient charging experience.

We'd love to hear from you if you have ordered a Model S or Roadster and live in a multi-unit development like a condominium or apartment complexes. Have you had issues gaining approval from your homeowners association? Have you had issues with respect to electrical line capacity in your building?

-Mario

Hi Mario

Is there a way you can share with me a list of apartments in the SF bay area where you have your EverCharge units installed? It would make my EV-ready apartment search easier and also benefit your customers. :)

-Mario

Just got this letter in support of AB 2565 in California.

monnon.jpg

So, has anyone used these guys? A few of us in my condo are looking at them, we'd like to hear from actual customers to see if they're a good deal.

Don't do it if you can do it another way. Ever charge is not very economical and you'll lose a lot of your gas savings to them. You'll always be at their will for price increases and you'll be locked in with no out. Only use them as a last resort in a condo that you own.

Color me concerned when I see a solicitation from someone with 1 post, then a 1-post supporter, then a 1-post person who seems to be very curious but manages to point out how it could be a win!

I agree with the problem statement as discussed - the difficulty in getting charging in multi-tenant facilities, but not sure this is the most appropriate way to discuss it.

Busch Stadium eliminated its AstroTurf surface and went for the real stuff. Perhaps we should too.