Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State sales tax exemption request

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read the various posts about current EV state tax benefits and decided to take action by writing an email to our Pa Governor Corbett asking for his help in eliminating the sales tax on EV purchases, at least for a year or two.
Here is my email in case anyone else would like to write their Governor or other political figures.

Dear Governor Corbett,
I would dearly love to see Pa be a leader in helping to move our country forward in becoming free of dependence on foreign oil and gas, while at the same time taking the lead on making our air more pollution free.
I am doing my part in helping to move us forward towards what I believe is a real game changer for our future.
I am buying an all electric automobile... a new Tesla Model S sedan.
Those of us that are early adopters towards this inevitable and fundamental shift in auto technology are paying a premium price as well as being patient with the slow growth of charging infrastructure that is necessary.
We do this because we believe in the technology, the ecological benefits of this shift and in a strong belief in a country that is free of foreign energy dominance.

I, along with all my other Pa friends that are also helping to see this new day dawn, would like to ask that you help put Pa in the forefront of this movement by supporting the elimination (at least on a temporary 1-2 year basis) of the Pa sales tax for all electric vehicles purchased by Pa residents. Since the current adoption rate is not huge, the fiscal impact on the Pa budget would not be very big, at least for the next couple of years.
However, the statement that it would make about your interest and commitment to this future for Pa would be really big!

Thank you very much for your time and consideration

I've read the various posts about current EV state tax benefits and decided to take action by writing an email to our Pa Governor Corbett asking for his help in eliminating the sales tax on EV purchases, at least for a year or two.
Here is my email in case anyone else would like to write their Governor or other political figures.

Would love to do this, but don't think I'll get much support in TX. We have a state rep who managed to get a "pilot program" through the legislature to have EV owners in the Dallas area "voluntarily" participate in a mileage tax program. The argument is that EV owners won't be paying gasoline taxes, so the State needs to have them pay "equivalent" taxes by some means.
Geesh! Part of the point of owning an EV is avoiding gasoline and gasoline taxes.

I personally think a mileage tax is an unconsitutional restriction on travel as a pemumbral Constitutional right, but given the recent Supreme Court decision on new healthcare "taxes," it's anybody's guess.

I'll give it a try, though. Some of the larger energy companies, like NRG Energy, have subsidiaries in the EV charging station business.

Virginia is another state that's unlikely to budge on this one, as much as i'd like them to. Heck, i'm surprised they even still allow travel in HOV lanes in EVs. I've also been looking into solar, and companies like SolarCity won't even touch virginia just because of the complete lack of incentives.

:(

Sales tax is a consumption tax, and honestly I just don't believe that it should be suspended for EV's. Would I like to pay less? Sure... but in this case, I really don't see a justification for suspending sales tax just because a car is electric. You're still buying something of value and aside from critical necessities, I don't believe it should be suspended for that.

Other incentives -- tax credits and rebates -- make sense because the technology still costs a premium and encouraging adoption is a good thing; I'm supportive of these tax credits and rebates as incentives.

This wades, though, into politics and so while I reluctantly press the "post quick reply button", fearing what it would create, I didn't feel it appropriate not to respond. I'd rather my state (Illinois) crack down on its abusive spending and typical Chicago politics rather than mess with the revenue side anymore (we had a 66% increase in our income taxes last year).

We have sales tax holidays for items where it is deemed "for the common good" such as hurricane supplies (better for everyone if people are prepared) and back to school supplies (better for everyone if schools are productive) so why not EV's (better for everyone if environmental impact is reduced)?

Won't see this getting by Governor Brown in CA. Regardless of his apparent support for Tesla.

Yes, no chance there. I'm always torn on this sales tax front. I skimp on paying CA sales tax for small items by buying them on Amazon (not for much longer though) but, am not unhappy to pay the $8k+ on the Model S. CA does need the tax revenue given the crippling proposition 13 on the property tax front.