Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Pickup Truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
I could have sworn we had a topic on this, but I can't seem to find it (will try a Google search of the site later, might be buried in another discussion). Anywho, in the following article, Franz all but confirms there will be a Tesla Pickup:

Tesla’s electric 3-series rival ‘on sale in 2015’ | Autocar

“There are lots of ways in which we can exploit the platform,” said Von Holzhausen. “There will be a time and place for us to develop something around a pick-up. That’s a market for which the torque of an electric motor would be ideally suited.”

A pickup truck would have huge potential. Fleets spend a fortune on gasoline and maintenance, and most competent operators understand the concept of "total cost of ownership". I'm sure Tesla sees that as a big opportunity, but they've got a lot on their plate...

Fleets...
I ran across this earlier today. Forgot how I got there...
Fleet Services | Tesla Motors
FLEET SERVICES
BUILD A FLEET FOR THE 21[SUP]ST[/SUP] CENTURY
Your drivers want exhilarating, stylish, practical vehicles. You’re looking for innovative ways to reduce costs and the environmental impact of the fleet you manage. Model S is the fleet vehicle you’ve been searching for.

I hope they wait with making a pickup until after they've made a smaller sedan, the crossover, the next roadster and a van.

Pickups do not sell over here. The segment is probably less than 1% of the total market. If they do decide to make one in the near future, I hope the market for pickups is significantly better in the US.

pick up truck

When I think of pickups, I think of farm vehicles such as Land Rovers. They need good torque but relatively low highway speed and acceleration and all wheel drive - and two electric motors would be a simpler system than current transmissions

However they are a winner mostly because they are short range - used to nip across fields and perhaps to the local town and would require smaller battery packs and therefore would be economic to produce- and most farms have 3 phase charging points. Mind you I think I would prefer a diesel vehicle if I was in the outback or the serengheti!

I could see Tesla licencing packs to a third party or having a sub brand - although Honda has a strong rep in most markets with a single brand

Last edited:
This electric truck would have to be one of those SUT's and not a real bashing in the boonies, hauling/towing truck. I cannot imagine an electric truck going some of the place I have went with my Cummins Ram (through rivers, muddy swamps etc). There are some great applications for EV powertrains a real truck is not one of them.

This electric truck would have to be one of those SUT's and not a real bashing in the boonies, hauling/towing truck. I cannot imagine an electric truck going some of the place I have went with my Cummins Ram (through rivers, muddy swamps etc). There are some great applications for EV powertrains a real truck is not one of them.
If they can protect an ICE from water intrusion, hitting rocks, etc, there is no reason you can't protect an electric motor. I just saw a Toyota Celica that had been modified so that the air scoop was towards the bottom of the engine (dumb idea). It went into a puddle, the motor sucked up some water and they had to replace a piston, crank, rods, etc.