Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Nominated for North American Car of the Year (2013)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not a big fan of "MPGe", but it's an interesting number to compare nonetheless.

Quick MPG/MPGe list from scanning Edmunds:
Code:
 28 Acura ILX
~30 BMW 3-Series Sedan
 24 BMW 6-Series Gran Coupe
 ?? Cadillac ATS
 21 Cadillac XTS
 29 Chevrolet Malibu
 ?? Chevrolet Spark
 29 Dodge Dart
 30 Ford Fusion
[COLOR="#008000"]105 Ford Focus Electric[/COLOR]
[COLOR="#008000"]118 Honda Fit EV[/COLOR]
 23 Hyundai Azera
 31 Hyundai Elantra GT
 ?? Kia Cadenza
 22 Lexus ES
 23 Lexus GS
 28 Lincoln MKZ
 24 Mazda 6
 19 Mercedes SL Class
 31 Nissan Altima
 27 Nissan Sentra
 21 Porsche 911
 23 Porsche Boxster
 25 Scion FR-S
 ?? SRT Viper
 25 Subaru BRZ
 [COLOR="#008000"]89 Tesla Model S[/COLOR]
 ?? Toyota Avalon
 32 Toyota Yaris
[COLOR="#008000"] 50 Toyota Prius C[/COLOR]

Hmmm, so of that list... The serious competitors include:

Acura ILX - Not much impact in it's segment.
BMW 3-Series - Always a strong contender
BMW 6-Series Gran Coupe - poorly priced with moderate performance compared to it's segment leaders - Panamera V6, Merc CLS 550, Audi A7
Cadillac ATS - Cadillac CUE and 2.0 turbo give BMW 3-series some competition
Cadillac XTS - not very groundbreaking in it's segment
Chevrolet Malibu - Could possibly be a contender, but some people would say the leap from last years model is minuscule compared to the impact the previous model had on its segment.
Chevrolet Spark - Fairly innovative, but I'm more interested in what the Spark EV will do.
Dodge Dart - Really??
Ford Fusion - Segment leader, but not much innovation over the outgoing model except it's redesign
Ford Focus Electric - American BEV from a major automaker with reasonable range.
Honda Fit EV - MPGe is nice, but the rest of the car is kinda flat
Hyundai Azera - How did this get nominated? It's kinda milk toast for it's segment
Hyundai Elantra GT - Just read the review in Motor Trend. Would not be a strong contender
Kia Cadenza - 2014 models are getting nominated?? This car is milk toast too as a rebadged Azera
Lexus ES - Much improved over older model, but it doesn't really impact it's segment does it??
Lexus GS - Pretty phenomenal improvement, and it introduces apps and a performance edge that Lexus has lacked in the midsize department
Lincoln MKZ - Much more innovation and design credo than it's Ford cousin
Mazda 6 - Are we talking about the Takeri design or current model??
Mercedes SL - Lots of innovation here, from interior to exterior. Strong contender.
Nissan Altima - What??
Nissan Sentra - the Heck??
Porsche 911 - Always a strong contender
Porsche Boxster - Always a strong contender
Scion FR-S - Phenomenal design and performance. Could win
Dodge SRT Viper - American muscle in a sexy package. It's a perfectly grilled burger in a delicious ciabatta bun dripping with yummy sauce. It's going up against superior gourmet faire though. You know you want the burger, but you also know it's not good for you. Probably won't make the final cut
Subaru BRZ - Phenomenal design (better than the FR-S in my opinion). Could this be a TWIN WIN??
Tesla Model S - Phenomenal design with ground breaking tech and world implications. Can an E-car finally win NACOTY?? This one could!
Toyota Avalon - Milk toast
Toyota Yaris - vapid econobox with moderate style
Toyota Prius C - hybrid based on vapid econobox with moderate style and poor performance

Two more rounds to go:

The Selection Process

First, the short list of dozen or so cars and then the final list of 3.

We'll find out in Nov/Dec...

Early in the fall, the jurors consider all the new or substantially changed vehicles and pick a dozen or so cars and trucks, from what is called the long list, that they think deserve additional consideration. This vote results in what is called the short list.
Early in December the jurors vote on those short-list vehicles, sending their ballots directly to Deloitte & Touche in Detroit.

So Tesla's timing is perfect:
  • Long enough first drives, especially with some key opinion leaders (e.g. WSJ's Dan Neil), to get on the long list.
  • Announced full test drives end of August/early September will tee up the Model S for a series of full reviews in early fall that will move the Model S onto the short list.
Whether the gearheads of the world can overcome their love of rumbling V8s and vote for the Model S in the end -- well, that's to be seen.

Hmmm, so of that list... The serious competitors include:

Ford Fusion - Segment leader, but not much innovation over the outgoing model except it's redesign

I agree with a lot of your points. But I disagree here. Sure not a lot spec wise changed. But It will become Ford's 3rd "World Car" where they make the same basic car worldwide. This will have a huge effect on both the European and American market. And putting their already highly praised Fusion and already highly praised Mondeo together will make a very compelling car!

I will accept your Lincoln MKZ argument/comment, as it is NA car of the year award.

If ever any car deserved to win a this award, the Model S has to be it.

Its just so far ahead of any other entry in all areas of innovation possible whilst still being a big family car

( ... and not in some other category for space ships or sumthin :biggrin: )

I've always considered that a "first model year" should get a bump for any "of the year" award. Dunno if the jurors will agree. Nonetheless, how many on the list are first model year besides the Tesla?

Consider all of the firsts that Tesla has to deal with at once:

1. Their first production car.
2. (Relatively) new car company.
3. Their first factory/first mass production.
4. First car with a radically different drivetrain.
5. First production car with fully digital/touch dashboard and console.

There should be a handicap awarded to Tesla for that, but even without the Model S is a strong contender.

I agree with a lot of your points. But I disagree here. Sure not a lot spec wise changed. But It will become Ford's 3rd "World Car" where they make the same basic car worldwide. This will have a huge effect on both the European and American market. And putting their already highly praised Fusion and already highly praised Mondeo together will make a very compelling car!

I will accept your Lincoln MKZ argument/comment, as it is NA car of the year award.

True, although none of their other world car platforms have won. I factored in the stats too. I think the car is well designed, in fact, I'd recommend it for anyone looking for an ICE or hybrid in that size class. Interior room and trunk size has decreased on the new model compared to the CD3 chassis, however, and the Focus and Fiesta are potentially more relevant world cars (IMHO) that aren't being considered.