Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Universal Mobile Connector - failed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

harbthom

Aug 5, 2010
Roadster #916. 1st owner. Delivered 2010Jul6.

Universal Mobile Connector was failing this month, resort to using the dreaded yellow backup cord for a week. Happenstance required bringing in for warranty issue on the headlamps (non xeon, a film was flaking off the surface of lens - 2nd time it's happened). Told that the UMC is not covered under warranty. $1500 part has to be ordered? Told that my old UMC is submitted as a "core" for use in refurbishment? Are these "new" UMC's or simply refurbished items?

Anyone else have 1) issues with their Roadster's UMC failing, 2) comments on a failed UMC being covered under warranty (was apx 2yr point of ownership)

Roadster #916. 1st owner. Delivered 2010Jul6.

Universal Mobile Connector was failing this month, resort to using the dreaded yellow backup cord for a week. Happenstance required bringing in for warranty issue on the headlamps (non xeon, a film was flaking off the surface of lens - 2nd time it's happened). Told that the UMC is not covered under warranty. $1500 part has to be ordered? Told that my old UMC is submitted as a "core" for use in refurbishment? Are these "new" UMC's or simply refurbished items?

Anyone else have 1) issues with their Roadster's UMC failing, 2) comments on a failed UMC being covered under warranty (was apx 2yr point of ownership)

I think you got ripped off, the UMC without a core is $1500 from the Tesla online store....There are people here that would pay you money for your "failed" UMC (me!).

If the part is under warranty Tesla can replace it with a refurbished part, if you buy it directly from them I think it has to be new. I do not think Tesla can sell used parts and not say they are used/refurb. They will probably "fix" your UMC and use it as a warranty replacement.

The Tesla Roadster Bumper to Bumper warranty really does not specifically exclude the UMC (although it could be seen as an accessory).