Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Illinois rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked a few people at the MNL forums about it as well. Most of them expressed doubt that they'll see anything, but they've applied anyway. I intend to do the same, I've made sure that my MVPA and invoice reflects the Illinois store. I haven't found anyone who has said they received the rebate yet.

I've had a property tax appeal case pending since 2009, and if this rebate is anything like that process, it'll be a while before we know. :)

I've completed all the paperwork for my Volt purchase. From reading some experiences at Volt forums, it seems that it can take 3-6 months after the processing date. So, those that had forms in by December 2011, are seeing their rebates in March-June. Those with paperwork in by June 2012 might be seeing their checks September-November. I'm in the later group. I'll try to update this thread if I successfully receive my Illinois Alternative Fuel Vehicle rebate.

I've completed all the paperwork for my Volt purchase. From reading some experiences at Volt forums, it seems that it can take 3-6 months after the processing date. So, those that had forms in by December 2011, are seeing their rebates in March-June. Those with paperwork in by June 2012 might be seeing their checks September-November. I'm in the later group. I'll try to update this thread if I successfully receive my Illinois Alternative Fuel Vehicle rebate.

Good to know.

It surprises me, however, that Illinois would have the money to follow through with this.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Good to know.

It surprises me, however, that Illinois would have the money to follow through with this.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

I have to agree, I'm surprised that Illinois would have the money... but I'm hopeful the money still exists since others have received their checks this year. Perhaps even more of a fantasy, I'm hopeful that if I reserve in October 2012, and hopefully take delivery of a Model S in October 2013, the Illinois Alternative Fuels Fund will STILL have money in it. How's that for crazy thinking?

David

I just got off the phone with someone at Green Fleets Illinois, in Springfield. Up to 4k rebate available, checks are mailed every 6 months.

The vehicle has to be sold by an Illinois dealership -
question is: is Tesla Motors set up as dealerships in states where they have stores/service?

PS: despite the poor state economy, I believe funding is avail., it is contributed by utilities and billed to all utility customers as a "green" energy fund.

The vehicle has to be sold by an Illinois dealership -
question is: is Tesla Motors set up as dealerships in states where they have stores/service?

An acquaintance of mine applied for a rebate after buying the Roadster - 11 months later, he is still waiting. He has not heard anything back one way or the other....

Here is the definition of Automobile Dealership from Wiki

A car dealership or vehicle local distribution is a business that sells new or used cars at the retail level, based on a dealership contract with an automaker or its sales subsidiary. It employs automobile salespeople to do the selling. It may also provide maintenance services for cars, thus employing Automotive Technicians , stock and sell spare automobile parts, and process warranty claims.

I beleive that Tesla complies in all cases. It does not imply from above that a dealership contract is a requirement.

Last time I was in the Oakbrook store, they mentioned the IL rebate without me asking, so they seem to think that the Model S should qualify. Seems odd to me that that State would deny that Tesla is an IL dealer given that (i) Tesla has a retail shop located here and (ii) we will pay IL sales tax on the purchase. That being said, I've seen some pretty unusual outcomes where government is involved.

My contract with Tesla for the Model S shows the Oak Brook store address as the dealership. I believe this will satisfy the IL requirements for the state rebate.

I've applied for the rebate twice in the past 10 years (converted EVs) and have received the $. The last time was 2008. However, as posts have noted above, even in poor financial shape the money seems to be there.

On a another note Tesla owners can qualify for EL plates in IL that cost $35 for 2 years.

On a another note Tesla owners can qualify for EL plates in IL that cost $35 for 2 years.

Yes... I spoke to the lady in the special plates division. The EL plates can't be customized, though, they come 4-digits only with E/L on the right side. She said there were only 2 Tesla's registered in the state with EL plates because most want vanity plates on them, and pay the standard $129 (or whatever it is).

I'm going to put E/L plates on my model S.

My contract with Tesla for the Model S shows the Oak Brook store address as the dealership. I believe this will satisfy the IL requirements for the state rebate.

I've applied for the rebate twice in the past 10 years (converted EVs) and have received the $. The last time was 2008. However, as posts have noted above, even in poor financial shape the money seems to be there.

Much cheaper than the $99/yr for the regular plates!

Much cheaper than the $99/yr for the regular plates!

And not quite so attractive either!!!!!

el.png

Prior to finalizing last night, I called Tesla to ensure that the contract would have the Oakbrook "dealership" address on it, and they confirmed that (i) the MVPA would have the Oakbrook address and (ii) Tesla was indeed a registered dealer in Illinois. Assuming the state is good for the money, I feel very confident that we will meet all the requirements for the rebate.

BTW: I did receive the fully executed MVPA late last night, and it does have the Oakbrook address.

I previously posted in this thread I would follow up when I received my rebate.

Just this week I received my $3914.50 check from the Illinois EPA. For the Volt, the $850 destination charge and additional options are not a part of the rebate calculations. Therefore the rebate was 10% of $39145.00.

With the Model S, the MSRP is around $57k, so there will be no problem reaching the maximum $4000 amount.

My rebate timeline:
Purchased car: April 2, 2012
Mailed rebate: April 22, 2012
*EPA began processing rebates around June 30*
Received rebate check: September 5, 2012