Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me choose my Model S config! Please...

Help me choose my Model S config! Please...

• 60 kWh - Less Range, Loaded with Options

Votes: 30 34.5%
  • 85 kWh - More Range, Fewer Options

Votes: 57 65.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
All, these are the two configs that I have in "My Garage" on the Tesla website and I cannot make up my mind; please help me make a call by simply voting (sorry Doug!) or adding some comments. Thanks in advance! :)

I have no more leeway w.r.t. budget. Here are some other factors that might come into play:

- I want the most long-term value for the car as I intend to keep it well past the 10-year mark without having to replace the original battery too soon.
- My commute patterns add up to no more than 80 miles per day as of now. Weekend trips would not exceed 200 miles.
- Wife wants me to get the 60 to keep the price down but, I might have some wiggle room there still.
- Wouldn't mind the earlier delivery of the 85 kWh-optioned car at all.

60 kWh - Less Range, Loaded with Options85 kWh - More Range, Fewer Options
60 kWh - Lots of Options.png
85 kWh - Fewer Options.png

I agree w/ heems. You will be able to "upgrade" the battery in the future much easier than you'll be able to add leather, audio, etc. Get the car you'll want to drive every day and enjoy being in. And at $5k cheaper it'll make your wife happier which makes a huge difference in your quality of life :)

Since you can swing both the tech package and the air suspension even with the 85kWh I'd definately go for the bigger battery. Longer lasting, better performance, more range, eralier delivery. Much more important than leather, pano roof and upgraded sound in my opinion.

Remember, it is not only more range but a faster car.

None of the options you are giving up are "must have" in my book. (Although, if it were me, I would try to stretch for the leather, even if it means giving up the air suspension.) Even as you have it configured, the 85KW S will be a really nice car.

The sound system, in particular, may be no big deal. You are unlikely to ever find any 7.1 music you want to listen to and the difference between 200W and 580W, believe it or not, is trivial. 200W is plenty in that space. (From a guy who put 2000W into a Honda S2000.)

Since you can swing both the tech package and the air suspension even with the 85kWh I'd definately go for the bigger battery. Longer lasting, better performance, more range, eralier delivery. Much more important than leather, pano roof and upgraded sound in my opinion.

This gets my vote.

I'd say go for the 85kWh setup. Main reason is the longevity. You will have plenty of range for your daily commute and weekend trips. The sound studio package can be done in the aftermarket and sound much better for less money. The parcel shelf can be obtained any time. The seats can also be improved upon over time, but to keep the car 10 years, and still have the freedom to go where you prefer to go, the 85kWh is the best choice IMHO.

Do you have a place to charge at your destination on your weekend trips? You'd have to charge in range mode with the 60 kWh pack of course so if this is a weekly thing, that's something to consider and would lean towards the 85 kWh pack.
Also, since you're in California, I'd bet Superchargers will be much more common there than anywhere else to start. If that's the case, the 60 kWh pack would work with the optional Supercharger hardware if a Supercharger was going to be along your weekend route.

I'd say go without the sound system upgrade and the parcel shelf and get the 85 kWh pack, tech package, leather if possible, and active air suspension. Pano roof is definitely something you could do without if the headroom issue won't be a problem and cost comes into play.

It seems the options you'd miss are pano roof, sound studio and leather. If you don't care about the leather, then there's that. I like the pano roof, but from a looks perspective, a black roof will be just as nice. Lastly there's no indication the sound studio is that much better than stock (and can possible be upgraded later). If you plan to keep it longer, I'd go with the bigger battery.

If you like the options, and are willing to maybe swap the battery sooner (when there may be better tech out anyway), then go for the range you need with the options you want (60).

I have my doubts about future battery replacement, purely from seeing the advancements between Roadster and Model S packs, and how there is no indication as yet that the more modern Model S pack technology will be offered in Roadster format.
That said, I just voted for the 60, so I am rather confused myself on this same choice!

I'd say go for the 85kWh setup. Main reason is the longevity. You will have plenty of range for your daily commute and weekend trips. The sound studio package can be done in the aftermarket and sound much better for less money. The parcel shelf can be obtained any time. The seats can also be improved upon over time, but to keep the car 10 years, and still have the freedom to go where you prefer to go, the 85kWh is the best choice IMHO.

+1

If money becomes a factor in choosing between your two configs, then drop the Tech Pkg from the 85kWh setup. The 85kWh battery really makes it a different car IMO -- better range which unlocks more destination possibilities, plus you get the supercharger hardware included. Just my $0.02 and I realize I've never posted a thing on here, as I've been a longtime lurker.

A lot depends on those weekend trips, and the availability of charging at your destination, or en route.

I've heard two figures about pack longevity. One says that you would be left with about 70% of original capacity after 10 years. The other is that you would expect to lose about 4% capacity per year, which works out to almost exactly 70% in 10 years, so those seem to be consistent.

If we assume that you start with 265 miles of EPA range on the big pack, you'd be left with about 185 miles of range in 10 years. So, a 200 mile trip would need a bit of charging somewhere. Maybe up to an hour if all you could find was a J1772 or an L14-50.

We don't know the EPA range figure for the 60kWh pack yet. If it's a similar percentage of Tesla's original 55mph number (big assumption!), it would be about 200 miles, which would leave you with about 140 miles of range after 10 years. Still plenty for your commute, and plenty to get half way through that 200 mile weekend trip. But a 200 mile round trip will need somewhere between 1 and 3 hours of charging (depending on whether you can get access to 20kW charging or just a J1772). Or, a Supercharger might get it done in 30 minutes.

So, how often do you foresee really going beyond 140 miles? If the answer is "rarely", you can opt for the creature comforts. If the answer is "frequently", it sounds like the 85kWh is the better fit.

For what it's worth, I've had textile seats in my car for the last 10 years, and they're still comfortable and in fine shape. I think you're losing very little there. I wouldn't sweat the sound system. The parcel shelf could always be bought later if you get a better than expected tax refund or something, and there's concealed storage in the frunk. The only option you're considering omitting that I absolutely would not part with on my own car is the panoramic roof. I haven't had so much as a sunroof in 12 years, and I damned well want one now. Also, the headroom. I know you said you really can't swing more budget, but if you were able to find that $$ in the couch cushions, that's where I'd put it first, before leather or whatever.

If you can share a bit more about that 200-mile scenario, I'll vote on your poll!

Good luck!

Thanks for all the wonderful input so far!

Cinergi, I drive a Mini Clubman; don't like that it's an ICE but, there's little else to complain about. It does have a pano-like roof but, we rarely open it and the sunshades are almost always closed.

MikeK, the 200 mile scenario is essentially a round trip from Newark, CA to Monterey, CA or a one-way from Newark to Truckee, CA (North Lake Tahoe) with some range to spare given the mountains.

So, chief concerns would be: would I miss the pano roof? Would the reduced range after 8-10 years be a problem given the usage patterns? And, I'm a lead foot too doing 75-80 mph on freeways on a regular basis so, 200 miles with the 60 pack would be very optimistic.