Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Electrical Code

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KBF

Model X owner (formerly Cdn Signature Model S)
I'm installing a new shed, and I want to at least rough in the possibility of having an HPC in the future. I don't think I'll need one, but I want to be prepared. My electrician mentioned there are provisions in the new code that target EV charging, that say one needs to install specific ventilation even for NEMA 14-50. Does anyone know about this, what its all about, and whether this is really necessary? The electrician is from my dad-in-law's company (he's the manager), so he's not merely trying to make an extra buck off me! :)

I'm installing a new shed, and I want to at least rough in the possibility of having an HPC in the future. I don't think I'll need one, but I want to be prepared. My electrician mentioned there are provisions in the new code that target EV charging, that say one needs to install specific ventilation even for NEMA 14-50. Does anyone know about this, what its all about, and whether this is really necessary? The electrician is from my dad-in-law's company (he's the manager), so he's not merely trying to make an extra buck off me! :)

Ventilation is NOT required. Active ventilation is required for lead-acid batteries. Your car is Lithium Ion.

Thanks, Doug. That's what I was thinking, but I wanted to make sure. The government has made stupid regulations in the past...
Do you think it's useful to have surge protectors on the breaker box? They use them in high-tech dairy operations and seem to be effective. I've asked Tesla but haven't received a response yet. Thanks!

Typical surge protectors that you can buy retail might - repeat might - protect you once but then burn out. They just can't absorb the energy from a lightning strike. I think most of thise things verge on being a scam.

More common is the person that drives their car into a power pole and sends a spike to your house. A surge protector can help there.

...it's more of a guideline... :wink::biggrin:

Typical surge protectors that you can buy retail might - repeat might - protect you once but then burn out. They just can't absorb the energy from a lightning strike. I think most of thise things verge on being a scam.

If I would go with a protector it would be the commercial type (due to my connections). My electrician mainly does agriculture because that's where the real money is. My tiny residential job is a favor.

If I would go with a protector it would be the commercial type (due to my connections).
Some background. If the protector is not earthed, then it must somehow block what three kilometers of sky could not. Or somehow absorb hundreds of thousands of joules. Or somehow clamp so that energy magically disappears. Reality. If not connected low impedance to earth (ie 'less than 3 meters'), then if may clamp a surge destructively into the Tesla.

Fortunately most surges are made irrelevant by protection already inside every appliance and the Tesla. We are not concerned with most surges. We are concerned with the rare surge (maybe once every seven years) that can overwhelm protection inside a Tesla.

Either that energy is connected to a best earth ground. Or that surge will find earth destructively (ie via the Tesla.

So, your protection system started when you first poured the concrete footings. Because no protector does protection. Protection is defined by the quality of that single point earth ground. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground. Protection is always about where energy is absorbed. Search on Ufer ground to learn more.

Now, any wire that enters that shed must connect to earth. Either directly (ie neutral wire). Or via the protector - communication, AC hot wire, etc. Any exception means protection compromised. Just another example of why protection is first installed when footings are poured.

Additional information is in Whole house surge suppressor entitled "Whole house surge suppressor" complete with manufacturers that actually sell effective solutions.

Worry little about the protector. It should be at least 50,000 amps. Worry most about what only does the protection. An art. Single point earth ground.