Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster in Iron Man movie

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some trivia:

We were very close to be in the next Bond film. I had the support of the screenwriter and the Director but Ford's previously established sponsorship (big $$$) crowded us out. I wasn't surprised but we were so close I was optimistic.

We will, however, have a small role in Iron Man as one of Tony Stark's cars in his garage. I think Jalopnik just revealed that.

There may be other opps coming down the line a well.

We heard about the Iron Man connection a while back.

People posted about it last year, like here...

Iron_Man_Super_Bowl.jpg

(Looks like they have the "Mule" in there)

Last edited:
It had been mentioned a few places before... like here:
"FAVREAU: This is his workshop and the beginnings of what will be The Hall of Armor. This is below his house. We built a house that sits on the bluffs overlooking the Pacific up in Malibu, in Point Dune and we have another set that we’re shooting on today that sort of sits above this. It’s sort of an architectural high-tech home and this is his subbasement. So, out those windows you would see the Pacific ocean. That’s a driveway up to the outside of his house. He has all of his awesome cars there, everything from a ‘32 Ford Roadster all the way through to a Tesla electric car."

Cool stuff Elon's wife blog and an interview with the I M Director. I don't read the prepress on movies (We do "media blackout" at our house) We love movies and once we decide to watch them we don;t want to know anything more. So many trailers ruin movies so we even close our eyes and ears in the theater sometimes.

The Tesla as car status! Thanks for this bit.

By the way. did you seee how many hits this thread has?

And didn't one of the Magazines say that Elon should sell his F1?

Iron Man

What, no comments about the Roadster's appearance in Iron Man? What's wrong with you guys. I expected you guys to be all over this. Even our 8-year old noticed the car in the movie, and we did not remember to tell him to look for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did see the movie on wednesday and liked it a lot. And of course I was watching for the Roadster and saw it in his garage which was very cool. I suppose the reason no one else has commented on it, is that since he didn't drive it, it didn't tell us anything new :) It's still a lovely looking car though.

Cobos

Well, since it was discussed several weeks ago (http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/news-articles-events/924-roadster-appear-iron-man-movie.html), I was fully prepared to see it, and as Cobos said, the movie had it purely as a background prop, so it was hard to get any more excited about it than I already am. From my vantage point, I've ridden in the Roadster, I'm anxiously waiting to have an opportunity to take it out for my test drive, and I've still got to figure out what colors I want for the body/interior. I'm way past being thrilled about merely seeing it in a movie or video! ;-)

Not to hijack your thread too much Carolyn, but did Martin enjoy his trip to Champaign?

Yeah, the show in Monaco, the new store opening, and impending deliveries all stole the thunder from Iron Man.

It's hard for me to picture Robert Downey Jr. as a superhero, but then I didn't think Leonardo DiCaprio could be Howard Hughes, and somehow that worked.

Speaking of impending deliveries, I hope P2 arrives soon!

this is my first post via PDA, so please excuse typos, etc.

So yeah, I was gonna say we knew about the Roadster in Iron Man for some months now. Then there was the Superbowl commercial which showed it too. Still nice to see, though... and I did point it out in the theater to my girlfriend. :)

I went to see Ironman last Friday. All I got to say is that's a really good film. Did anyone else see it opening day? Robert D. Jr. plays the part well. The storyline is superb. They made the Tesla Roadster look awesome because of the lighting. The roadster looked sooooo mean. I was like getting Tesla fever. They never took the roadster for a spin. :mad: I think it would have been really crazy if production 2 made an appearance all of a sudden. Dun Dun dun. LOL

I liked the plot of Iron Man. The big, bad evil man (Obadiah Stane) stole Tony Starks design and passed it off as his own. The good news is (without spoiling the movie) Tony Stark (the little guy) triumphs in the end!

Yeah I can see how this plot hits a nerve. Except for the whole doing weapons manufacturing angle of course.
I really liked the movie myself. As my wife said, she liked that most of the characters seemed a lot less cardboard-cutout like. Which sometimes is a problem with superhero movies or action movies in general.
Of course in her case it also helps she has a thing for robots :rolleyes:

Cobos

Just saw it. I really enjoyed the movie.

One quote that jumped out was “You don't think that just because you have an idea you own it do you?" as the bad guy steals the high tech power source away from the inventor.

Also, product placement was a bit heavy handed at times.

Last edited:
My wife also said that she found the product placement a bit heavy. Except for the Burger King burger I can't really say I felt that was so obvious. I see that Audi probably paid a lot for those shots but the fact is that someone like playboy Stark obviously should drive a high-end sportscar of some sort anyway. And it could as well be an Audi and it fit the mood of the movie I think, though I'll agree the Burger King one was a bit too jarring with the general feel of the movie.

Cobos