Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dogs, Plywood, Sheetrock and other cargo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has any one measured the floor space with the rear seats folded down? I want to figure out if it will be big enough for a 8'x4' panel of plywood.

Mod Note: these posts were taken from the "Unknowns" thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has any one measured the floor space with the rear seats folded down? I want to figure out if it will be big enough for a 8'x4' panel of plywood.

I was very interested in finding a vehicle that could accommodate artwork that was 4 feet wide. There are very few vehicles on the market that can handle this (a full size truck can but then you're exposed to the elements). Our minivan can handle about 7' x 4'. No way the Model S can handle 8' x 4' (4' wide might not be the limiting factor). Elon Musk said that the Model X could almost fit a Queen size bed. So I'm guessing 7' x 4' will fly in the Model X but 8' x 4' is still very much pushing it.

I was very interested in finding a vehicle that could accommodate artwork that was 4 feet wide. There are very few vehicles on the market that can handle this (a full size truck can but then you're exposed to the elements). Our minivan can handle about 7' x 4'.

My 2002 Acura MDX could fit a sheet of 8' x 4' flat with the 2nd and 3rd row seats down, and front seats pushed all the way forward. I was doing a home remodel at the time and remember the many trips to Home Depot. Not easy to keep the car nice, though...

I measured the back of the Model S at the Fremont event, and the floor dimensions with the seats down were 72 inches deep by 38 inches wide between the bump ups for the wheels. I did not measure how wide it would be if you put something on top of the wheel bumps, so don't know if that would be big enough for the additional 10 inches. But the maximum length of the panel would be limited to 6 feet. It turns out that the space is about 4 inches longer and the same width as the storage space in the back of my 4Runner with the seats down.

I measured the back of the Model S at the Fremont event, and the floor dimensions with the seats down were 72 inches deep by 38 inches wide between the bump ups for the wheels. I did not measure how wide it would be if you put something on top of the wheel bumps, so don't know if that would be big enough for the additional 10 inches. But the maximum length of the panel would be limited to 6 feet. It turns out that the space is about 4 inches longer and the same width as the storage space in the back of my 4Runner with the seats down.

Derek, thanks. It may then be possible to transport an 8x4 plywood sheet, over the wheel bumps as you suggest, sticking out a couple of feet with the hatch slightly opened.

Trunk Space

I measured the back of the Model S at the Fremont event, and the floor dimensions with the seats down were 72 inches deep by 38 inches wide between the bump ups for the wheels.

@Derek:

Are you sure these numbers are correct? For us over in SI-land that would mean 96 cm wide by 182 cm deep. I can't quite believe a car as wide as Model S would have a trunk exactly as wide as a thin Prius. I hoped for quite a bit more. Can anyone confirm these numbers?

Derek, thanks. It may then be possible to transport an 8x4 plywood sheet, over the wheel bumps as you suggest, sticking out a couple of feet with the hatch slightly opened.
Almost surely true if you slant the sheets, so one side is on the floor and the other resting atop a wheel bump. That will limit the # of sheets you can take at a time, but should work for 4-5.

m.rudolf:

I only measured the flat part of the trunk, the area between the bump ups for the wheels. The actual width is quite a bit wider, from the side of the car to the side of the car. Unfortunately I did not measure that dimension.

Why are we talking about putting plywood in your model S? :scared:

Home Depot and Lowes both rent pickup trucks for about 20$ for 75 minutes. Drive there, fill up their pickup truck with plywood, return it to you house, drive back to Lowes/HD. Buy the stuff that you forgot to buy (I know NO ONE every makes a single Lowes/HD run) put it in the Model S and drive home. :smile:

Now if we start saying paintings, or IKEA furniture I can get behind wanting a huge cavernous back, but every time I see plywood I cringe!

Now if we start saying paintings, or IKEA furniture I can get behind wanting a huge cavernous back, but every time I see plywood I cringe!

I'm considering dogs in my MSP :crying:
Plywood is nothing compared to my hairy beasts!

Does Tesla offer an interior protector? I might need to cover my inside in plastic wrap

Does Tesla offer an interior protector? I might need to cover my inside in plastic wrap

I also have plans for 2 dogs in the Model S. But they are fairly good. Dog hair can be cleaned (but it takes SO LONG) and nose dribble on the windows sucks. But no permanant snags or scuffs that plywood can provide.

I also have plans for 2 dogs in the Model S. But they are fairly good. Dog hair can be cleaned (but it takes SO LONG) and nose dribble on the windows sucks. But no permanant snags or scuffs that plywood can provide.

Is that so you can leave one behind to distract the raptors in an attack?

I would love it if someone created a liner for the back you could put in when you folded the back seats down for dogs sit during rides.

Last edited:
Is that so you can leave one behind to distract the raptors in an attack?

I would love it if someone created a liner for the back you could out in when you folded the back seats down for dogs sit during rides.

No not my babies. They wouldn't stand a chance! My Fiancee does have 3 cats though ... :redface:.

20111218150.jpg

I would love some sort of fitted protective 'bin' for my doggies. Would help with the hair a bunch.

Once upon a time, Elon said that Model S should be able to accommodate a fully assembled mountain bike in the back with the seats down. I measured my bike last night, and given the measurements above, I think it will fit, but my bike is an extra large frame, so maybe I'll have to take the front wheel off.

What would be great would be to have a liner that would protect the interior from the grease on the chain and so on. So, like with your dogs, I would love a protective liner . I suppose that's a fine third party opportunity, but perhaps Tesla will offer an accessory at some point.

I was tired of beating up my M3 Cabriolet's interior with Home Depot runs about 8 years ago, so I bought a used Toyota Tacoma to be my "beater".

I've now upgraded the beater twice with newer Tacoma's, the latest bought new in 2007 (so much or a beater, I think it was about $25K out the door). Having the second vehicle has been nice, now instead of putting 8000 miles a year on my fun car (now an Audi S4), I put about 5000 miles on the truck and 3000 miles on the car. It's also been handy to leave at the airport for 10-14 days, drive on the day it rains right after I detail my car, etc. So yes you'll spend some money up front and on insurance, but when you go to sell your car, it will be worth more and easier to sell.

But I agree, if you rent or borrow a pickup to do those trips that might work with the Model S, but are going to risk banging up the trunk/making the car smell like manure, I highly recommend it. Heck, get creative and go in on a old pickup with a few neighbors, a coworker and your brother in law. For $500 to $2000 plus a few bucks a year in maintenance, that thing will get *lots* of use.

Home Depot and Lowes both rent pickup trucks for about 20$ for 75 minutes. Drive there, fill up their pickup truck with plywood, return it to you house, drive back to Lowes/HD. Buy the stuff that you forgot to buy (I know NO ONE every makes a single Lowes/HD run) put it in the Model S and drive home. :smile:

No not my babies. They wouldn't stand a chance! My Fiancee does have 3 cats though ... :redface:.

View attachment 7526

I would love some sort of fitted protective 'bin' for my doggies. Would help with the hair a bunch.

Awww. Cute dogs. I agree leaving the cats as raptor distractors is best.

I would think a plastic liner that folds down the middle would work. I don't have a dog yet but will eventually so would like that.

Awww. Cute dogs. I agree leaving the cats as raptor distractors is best.

I would think a plastic liner that folds down the middle would work. I don't have a dog yet but will eventually so would like that.

Now that magically this on topic (thanks AO). I normally put out a comforter (green in the background) for them to lie on. But they mess it up after about 45 minutes. Maybe something a bit stiffer would work.

The cats have 9 lives so 3 of them should work for about 27 raptor attacks, so much better option.

I have a greyhound rescue. I highly recommend them if you want a counter height 70lbs dog. They are extremely mellow, stupid fast. And very gentle. I also have the white Super Mutt. She may be the happiest dog I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. A bit easier to manage at about 35lbs, and not quite tall enough to grab things from the counter.

I absolutely expect to have my two labs in the back of my S. I also have a "beater" - a '05 Escape Hybrid, but for trips to my place in VT (180 miles) I'm taking the S.

The big question now is should I get a HPC for both houses?! I'm banking on a supercharge station on 91 as a back up plan.