Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Rear Child Seats after Initial Purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, you can not purchase the child seats after the fact. I had emailed Tesla about a month ago about that very question and their response was that there are bolts that have to be installed during manufacturing and that it would be better to order them and remove them until needed

No, you can not purchase the child seats after the fact. I had emailed Tesla about a month ago about that very question and their response was that there are bolts that have to be installed during manufacturing and that it would be better to order them and remove them until needed

better, not impossible. You still have the hole in the floor to fold them into I believe.

This is a question that is high on my list as well. Right now, I only have 1 kid, so taking a family trip will be no problem, but I don't know what the future holds for my family, so the option to seat extra people would be handy. The real question is, I have $1,500 for options set aside in the budget, do I get the air suspension of the jump seats. There is a good chance that I will never need the seats, and if I know I can add them in latter, I am sure I will be able to find the funds (cheaper than trading in for a model X at least). If I know I will be unable to add them at a latter date, I will probably need to pass on the air suspension to get the jump seats just to make sure I never have to give up my dream car for family needs.

What happens if you buy the rear jump seats only to discover your kid refuses to sit back there, or worse gets car sick riding backwards?

I would like to be able to remove the seats and sell them to someone else who discovers they need them after the fact. I would hope Telsa could accomodate this.

What happens if you buy the rear jump seats only to discover your kid refuses to sit back there, or worse gets car sick riding backwards?

I would like to be able to remove the seats and sell them to someone else who discovers they need them after the fact. I would hope Telsa could accomodate this.

I'm not sure Tesla will even need to be involved. If you can buy them after the initial sale AND Tesla recommends removing them until needed, then I assume it's modular enough so that it can be pretty easily removed and installed. If that's so, it shouldn't be much different than selling someone any other accessory that needs some installation. I should be able to buy your seats and follow the instructions to install them.

The only hiccup I can see is if there needs to be some hardware installed on the chassis that never comes out (whether or not the seats are currently installed). In that case you might need some professional help depending on how deeply integrated those parts are.